Anand v Carlsen

The very latest International round up of English news.
Christopher Kreuzer

Re: Anand v Carlsen

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:57 pm

I've just noticed that games 6 and 7 are successive Whites for Anand and (consequently) successive Black's for Carlsen, which means that the match begins and ends (if it goes to game 12) with Whites for Carlsen. Is there a logical reason for the colour sequence to change like this? Is this traditionally done in matches? It seems to have been done this way for the last few at least, though not for the Kramnik-Leko match (and maybe others as well).

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:08 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:Is there a logical reason for the colour sequence to change like this? Is this traditionally done in matches?
It was introduced when matches started to use a "two days of play", "one day of rest" format. There's a perception that having White immediately after a rest day is an advantage, or is it Black? Either way it avoids accusations of bias. For games 11 and 12, I believe they get a rest day beforehand anyway, so it isn't completely symmetric. The Kasparov - Short match was played at the rate of three days a week, which had by then become traditional. The spare days were also needed for adjournments, which were abolished in the mid-nineties.

Peter Shaw

Post by Peter Shaw » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:15 pm

I've always thought they should follow the example of tennis tie breaks and use the sequence WBBWWBBWWBBW rather than swap after every game.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:07 pm

Peter Shaw >I've always thought they should follow the example of tennis tie breaks and use the sequence WBBWWBBWWBBW rather than swap after every game.<

That is indeed the system proposed by Ashot Vardapetian and to be found in the Tournament Rules C.05. Annex 3 K.1.b. It has not yet caught on. The idea is that this is somewhat superior to Armageddon which is one game sudden death. Eventually though time may run out and they have to resort to Armageddon.
I call it 'FIRST BLOOD'. The winner is the player who achieves the first win in a GAME. Some have misunderstood and though it is a micro-match, so the winner is the player who first wins a match of two games.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:10 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:I've just noticed that games 6 and 7 are successive Whites for Anand and (consequently) successive Black's for Carlsen, which means that the match begins and ends (if it goes to game 12) with Whites for Carlsen. Is there a logical reason for the colour sequence to change like this? Is this traditionally done in matches? It seems to have been done this way for the last few at least, though not for the Kramnik-Leko match (and maybe others as well).
As has been said, it changed when the match became a sequence of 2 games and a rest day, which in turn seemed to follow the reduction to 12 games total (I remember Kramnik - Leko as 14 games, not sure about the others)

It can mean the crucial point is games 6 and 7 in the middle i.e. either using the extra white or surviving it (again I remember Kramnik being in trouble against Anand by that stage)

It would be nice if the outcome of this match was enthusiasm to move from 12 to 14 or 16 games for the next match (assuming we aren't going back to proper matches of at least 24 games)
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:20 pm

Mick Norris wrote:
Christopher Kreuzer wrote:I've just noticed that games 6 and 7 are successive Whites for Anand and (consequently) successive Black's for Carlsen, which means that the match begins and ends (if it goes to game 12) with Whites for Carlsen. Is there a logical reason for the colour sequence to change like this? Is this traditionally done in matches? It seems to have been done this way for the last few at least, though not for the Kramnik-Leko match (and maybe others as well).
As has been said, it changed when the match became a sequence of 2 games and a rest day, which in turn seemed to follow the reduction to 12 games total (I remember Kramnik - Leko as 14 games, not sure about the others)

It can mean the crucial point is games 6 and 7 in the middle i.e. either using the extra white or surviving it (again I remember Kramnik being in trouble against Anand by that stage)

It would be nice if the outcome of this match was enthusiasm to move from 12 to 14 or 16 games for the next match (assuming we aren't going back to proper matches of at least 24 games)
Well, there is a rest day between the games of the same colour, so that might make a difference as well. Ans as Roger pointed out, there are rest days before both games 11 and 12, which kind of encourages the players to put out more effort at that point, but possibly shifts the emphasis towards that end of the match, and hence exacerbates the tendency for the start of such matches to be slower and more cagey. I'm hoping we get a really good game on Friday.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:22 pm

And some people were writing off this match after the first game :)

All we need is a win now!
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:24 pm

Stewart Reuben wrote:Peter Shaw >I've always thought they should follow the example of tennis tie breaks and use the sequence WBBWWBBWWBBW rather than swap after every game.<

That is indeed the system proposed by Ashot Vardapetian and to be found in the Tournament Rules C.05. Annex 3 K.1.b. It has not yet caught on. The idea is that this is somewhat superior to Armageddon which is one game sudden death. Eventually though time may run out and they have to resort to Armageddon.
I call it 'FIRST BLOOD'. The winner is the player who achieves the first win in a GAME. Some have misunderstood and though it is a micro-match, so the winner is the player who first wins a match of two games.
The WBBWWBB... version of "First Blood" will still always favour the player who has White in the first game.
If you think there is always a 50% chance of a draw, then a fair system is for the player with the first White to play with Black in ALL successive games. I don't think that will catch on.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:21 pm

But we know all tournament systems with an odd number of games are unfair. But they have caught on.
The only fair pairing system for RR or Swiss is where each player has two games against each opponent. Such systems are not popular. I would like there to be a Swiss with two games against each opponent in each round.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:07 am

A change of style for today. A Marshall Gambit against the Triangle no less ( 1. c4 e6 2. d4 d5 3. Nc3 e6 4. e4 ) although continuing in a more positional style with 4. .. dxe4 5. Nxe4 Bb4+ 6. Nc3 ) There's a theory madhouse which starts 6. Bd2 Qxd4 .

An original position has now arisen where White has time and space in exchange for the dark squared Bishop and an isolated e pawn. Currently at move 12, if the e3 pawn were on e4, the position would have a very Sicilian look to it.

Ian Kingston

Post by Ian Kingston » Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:15 am

For the benefit of those who want to see the game:

10. Qd3 appears to be a novelty. 10. dxc5 was played in Susan Polgar-Lajos Portisch, Budapest 1993.
Last edited by Ian Kingston on Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Simon Brown

Post by Simon Brown » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:29 pm

Looks to me at move 27 like the sort of position Carlsen has been winning recently - equal, but with dynamic chances and some practical difficulties in defence.

Tim Spanton

Post by Tim Spanton » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:43 pm

Simon Brown wrote:Looks to me at move 27 like the sort of position Carlsen has been winning recently - equal, but with dynamic chances and some practical difficulties in defence.
But winning against the likes of Annand?

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:57 pm

Why wasn't 16...Bg5 better than 16...Ke7?

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:02 pm

Stewart Reuben wrote:Why wasn't 16...Bg5 better than 16...Ke7?
Or indeed 16...Bb6 (suggested by the online computer engine). Same idea in both cases, though maybe one is better than the other. Maybe it makes little difference.