Anand v Carlsen

The very latest International round up of English news.
Andrew Bak

Re: Anand v Carlsen

Post by Andrew Bak » Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:50 pm

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-25057654

Apparently Anatoly Kasparov is the youngest ever World Champion...

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:07 pm

Andrew Bak wrote:http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-25057654

They're slowly getting it right by a process of elimination. In the initial version the adjective which means "of Norway" had been misspelled. At the time of writing it's now just "Susan Polger" and the rather clumsy way of saying that if you are 6-3 down in a 12 match series of games, you need to win the last three to tie the series.
Anand needed a straight three-game win to keep his title but entering the competition on Friday he conceded that it would take a miraculous turnaround to keep his chances alive.
(edit) I think they are slightly wrong on the highest ever rating as well. Whilst that is Magnus's, he got there in March and hasn't quite beaten his March rating from the current match. http://www.2700chess.com/live
(/edit)

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:57 pm

Congratulations to Magnus, very impressive performance

Will be interesting to see who he plays in 11 (?) months time, and indeed where it takes place

Will be more interesting to see if he can spark a chess revival, and wonder what we can do here in England
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:35 pm

Greg Breed wrote:I thought the whole commentary team were brilliant ….
Not everybody shares your view. I'm not a massive fan of SP myself and a certain Nigel Short tweeted about the "vacuous crap" coming from one of the "official commentators" today.

Barry Sandercock

Post by Barry Sandercock » Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:43 pm

Does anyone know if games 11 and 12 will be played ? I would guess not.

PeterFarr

Post by PeterFarr » Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:46 pm

Mick Norris wrote:Congratulations to Magnus, very impressive performance

Will be interesting to see who he plays in 11 (?) months time, and indeed where it takes place

Will be more interesting to see if he can spark a chess revival, and wonder what we can do here in England
Anand did a massive amount to popularize the game in India of course - you only have to look at the number of young Indian GMs and IMs. I wonder in fact if Anand has had a bigger influence on world chess than Fischer - that sounds almost a heresy, but might be worth thinking about. For Magnus to achieve anything like the same effect I guess he would need to be identified as a star for the 'West' rather than just a Norwegian or Scandinavian star? It seems a tough ask.

I suppose a future Carlsen v Nakamura match would play best for the 'western' media as a glamour fixture, though one doubts it will ever happen.

As for England... bringing Magnus over here to play the next world championship match in London, Manchester or ... Hull would be a great step!

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:48 pm

Congratulations to Carlsen. He has been touted as a future world champion for so long it will take a bit of getting used to now that he actually is World Champion. Agreed that it will be interesting to see who challenges him next time the title is contested.

[I didn't manage to follow the game today, but did manage to catch up on what had happened by following the posts here today - a rather strange way to follow that game without having seen the moves...]

Talking of the BBC article:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-25057654

The video clip (which I've not watched) says "Former British Chess champion Joseff Thomas". Anyone know who that is?

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:52 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:The video clip (which I've not watched) says "Former British Chess champion Joseff Thomas". Anyone know who that is?
http://ratings.fide.com/card.phtml?event=1801333

He won the U-16 title, if I recall correctly.

Richard James

Post by Richard James » Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:10 pm

Former British U15 and U16 Champion.

His website is here.

stevencarr

Post by stevencarr » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:03 pm

PeterFarr wrote: I suppose a future Carlsen v Nakamura match would play best for the 'western' media as a glamour fixture, though one doubts it will ever happen.
I want to see Magnus - Hikaru. That would be a great match.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:12 pm

Andrew Bak wrote:http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-25057654

A certain poster on CiF will be shocked to be informed of that :lol:
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

PeterFarr

Post by PeterFarr » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:16 pm

stevencarr wrote:
PeterFarr wrote: I suppose a future Carlsen v Nakamura match would play best for the 'western' media as a glamour fixture, though one doubts it will ever happen.
I was thinking only of publicity, and forgetting that it would genuinely be very entertaining... Doh..!!

Failing that, I'd like to see Lev Aronian have a bash.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:21 pm

stevencarr wrote:
On present form almost as one sided as the Kasparov-Shirov match that never was, mind :D
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Richard James

Post by Richard James » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:31 pm

Magnus Carlsen is the Justin Bieber of chess according to this.

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:45 pm

Richard James wrote:Magnus Carlsen is the Justin Bieber of chess according to this.
Does that mean we can soon expect a tumblr page called "Lesbians who look like Magnus Carlsen"?