Anand v Carlsen

The very latest International round up of English news.
Clive Blackburn

Re: Anand v Carlsen

Post by Clive Blackburn » Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:18 pm

John Cox wrote:Yes, I know. But I don't really recognise your description of the game. Still, whatever.
John McKenna wrote: I, too, did not recognise game 5 as a Berlin.
You are right of course, both of you. I confused the opening with game 6.

It was definitely the game 5 ending that I meant though; the psychological effect on Anand of losing that must have been tremendous.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:49 pm

Yes, Clive, you had the ending "bang to rights".
Totally agree that Anand must have been shocked and awed by the game.
Was Vishy caught unprepared by the D31 opening, I wonder?

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:30 pm

Kevin Thurlow wrote:More tripe from the press conference, Anand was asked about a long think he had, (something like) "Were you calculating complicated varaitions?", to which he said, (with a straight face and even tone), "No, I was wondering what to eat tonight."
On the other hand, he also said:
Anand wrote:I saw these lines, some of them ending in a draw, but then I saw his resource of Qb6-Qb1+ (in the lines of 28.Bf1) and then I saw 28.Nf1. I calculated the variations with 28...Qd1 and started to get excited. As soon as I put the knight on f1 I realized what I had done.
Is there anyone who hasn't done that themselves?

Barry Sandercock

Post by Barry Sandercock » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:04 pm

I guess there may be only one more game to come, as Magnus only needs a half point to win the match.

Clive Blackburn

Post by Clive Blackburn » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:39 pm

Barry Sandercock wrote:I guess there may be only one more game to come, as Magnus only needs a half point to win the match.
If Carlsen does get a result tomorrow, will they play out the two remaining games or will the match end there?

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:15 pm

Based on past contests, that will be it. Indeed the last time genuinely "dead rubbers" were played out may have been the 1937 Euwe-Alekhine rematch (they were IIRC officially described as "exhibition" games) There have been instances (eg in 1966, 1986 and 1990) when game(s) were played after the champion had retained the title with half the possible points, due to their needing to win the match outright for extra prize money (in each of those instances, they did)
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:29 pm

The 1993 match featured a four-game mini-match of rapidplay games after the match was decided in game 20. (Kasparov won 4-0.)

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:50 pm

I feel fairly confident that, at 9.30am tomorrow morning, we'll see (with Carlsen, White):

1 e4 e5; 2 Nf3 Nc6; 3 Bc4 Nf6; 4 Ng5 Bc5!!

The World Champion-elect will then ponder for some time before playing:

5 Nxf7!?

And offer a draw.

Which will be accepted.

Which will serve ya'll right for getting your hopes up

Ray Sayers

Post by Ray Sayers » Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:40 am

I would be pretty surprised if Anand pushed it today.

In his final game v Kasparov, 1995, Anand was black in a Sicilian and it was agreed drawn in 12 moves.

I think he has been through enough. I am assuming he will just bow out gracefully.

(I stand to be corrected though - another fighting game would be nice!!)

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:04 am

"Anand wrote:

I saw these lines, some of them ending in a draw, but then I saw his resource of Qb6-Qb1+ (in the lines of 28.Bf1) and then I saw 28.Nf1. I calculated the variations with 28...Qd1 and started to get excited. As soon as I put the knight on f1 I realized what I had done.

Is there anyone who hasn't done that themselves?"

True - it's rather unfair to subject the loser to an immediate press conference especially when they ask inane questions. The chairman did rule a couple of questions out of order.

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:46 am

Today then - another quick Berlin draw: Anand jokes afterwards that he wanted his last world championship game to be perfect: further inane questions at press conference from Indian journalists who take him seriously

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:32 am

Jonathan Rogers wrote:Today then - another quick Berlin draw: Anand jokes afterwards that he wanted his last world championship game to be perfect: further inane questions at press conference from Indian journalists who take him seriously
I thought it might go something like that but perhaps we're going to get a game. Tbh that would rather bugger up my plans for the day which rather rest on the chess being over by 11 latest.

AustinElliott

Post by AustinElliott » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:58 am

Jonathan Bryant wrote:
Jonathan Rogers wrote:Today then - another quick Berlin draw: Anand jokes afterwards that he wanted his last world championship game to be perfect: further inane questions at press conference from Indian journalists who take him seriously
I thought it might go something like that but perhaps we're going to get a game. Tbh that would rather bugger up my plans for the day which rather rest on the chess being over by 11 latest.
It is probably extrapolating too much, but might Anand's allowing Carlsen to trade the N for B on c6 after Nf4 suggest you'll get your wish for an early finish? Can't help thinking that if Vishy was really going for a full 'crouching Tiger' set-up, anticipating an eventual ..d5 break and attendant piece-flinging, then he'd have wanted to keep the Bishop pair (and all the minor pieces on) via a retreat to d7 or even e8, as often played in such set-ups. We now have a more strategic manoeuvring game, surely more to Carlsen's taste.

PS / Edit:
And Carlsen's Bd4 looks to my mid-150s Patzer's eye to be a clear offer to trade off more minor pieces on f6/e5... each such trade presumably taking us nearer an end of hostilities?

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:19 am

Jonathan Bryant wrote: And not much shouting, I suspect. Don't think the coffee shop is going a second cup of tea and a Portuguese Tart out of me tomorrow as I watch the moves come in there.
I'm about half an inch of liquid away from get that custard tart after all. One big mouthful should do it but increasing my usual drinking rhythm feels like cheating. Will I make it? The tension is unbearable.

Clive Blackburn

Post by Clive Blackburn » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:20 am

No all of the predictions were wrong, it's a Sicilian Maroczy bind :)

Carlsen has a slight edge as white but good chances for both sides; doubt if it will be a draw.