Anand v Carlsen

The very latest International round up of English news.
Stewart Reuben

Re: Anand v Carlsen

Post by Stewart Reuben » Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:27 pm

FIDE geography has its own logic. Israel is the best. Well, they take part in the Eurovision Song Contest. The Soviet Union was also all in Europe. Presumably The Vatican has never applied. I presume yellow aliens can join any federation they please, although Kasparov is having some problems.
Europe
Albania
Andorra
Armenia
Austria
Azerbaijan
Belarus
Belgium
Bosnia & Herzegovina
Bulgaria
Croatia
Cyprus
Czech Republic
Denmark
England
Estonia
Faroe Islands
Finland
Former YUG Rep of Macedonia
France
Georgia
Germany
Greece
Guernsey
Hungary
Iceland
Ireland
Israel
Italy
Jersey
Latvia
Liechtenstein
Lithuania
Luxembourg
Malta
Moldova
Monaco
Montenegro
Netherlands
Norway
Poland
Portugal
Romania
Russia
San Marino
Scotland
Serbia
Slovakia
Slovenia
Spain
Sweden
Switzerland
Turkey
Ukraine
Wales

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:20 pm

Stewart Reuben wrote:Presumably The Vatican has never applied.
Would it get in? The Vatican isn't in the United Nations, but the Holy See is.

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:53 pm

Greg Breed wrote:According to Wikipedia the standard convention of the continental boundary between Europe and Asia follows the Caucasus crest, the Urals River and the Urals Mountains to the Sea of Kara...
Pah! That would mean Kazakhstan is partly in Europe too!

So (Wiki) officially Turkey is not in Europe! Some might find that amusing...
Greg, I don't know what planet you are on, but here on Planet Earth, the province of Edirne is clearly north of the Bosphorus, on the European continental plate. Therefore Turkey, like Russia and Kazakhstan, spans the divides between Europe and Asia. Turkey is European, as well as Asian. The number of imperial wars it has fought on European soil with various other European imperial powers in the last 600 years, rather underlines that fact.

If you want an example of a country which is wholly Asian by plate tectonics, but always manages to get a free pass into the best European parties, then you should look no further than Cyprus.

PeterTurland

Post by PeterTurland » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:37 pm

Paul McKeown wrote: If you want an example of a country which is wholly Asian by plate tectonics, but always manages to get a free pass into the best European parties, then you should look no further than Cyprus.
In terms of dichotomies, that appear to me to be rather unfortunate, when we all appear to live on one planet, and the genetic evidence accuses us all of being cousins, that appear to be abusing each other, something changed when the island of Cyprus joined the EEC, they forgot their murderous differences, that being Turkish/Greek Cypriots and remembered their overall human sameness.

The weird thing is, our new king of chess, is a member of one nation, Norway, that is not a proper member of the European union, just like Russia!

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:54 pm

PeterTurland wrote:The weird thing is, our new king of chess, is a member of one nation, Norway, that is not a proper member of the European union, just like Russia!
Like most of the rest of your posts, I haven't a clue what wisdom you are trying to convey. However, Norway is not at all a member of the European Union, and has none of the privileges that membership provides. It must however fully adopt most of the Single European Market legislation, without any influence on their content, as it is party to the European Economic Area.

PeterTurland

Post by PeterTurland » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:01 pm

Chess runs deep Paul, and I am crap at it, so I'm probably talking crap also, but someone once wrote, that chess and history are connected in ways, we do not understand, and I agree with this view.

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:06 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote:
Maybe

PeterTurland

Post by PeterTurland » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:54 pm

Sean Hewitt wrote:
Alex Holowczak wrote:
Maybe
That was hilarious Sean.

But the current Pope does not seem that normal.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:56 pm

Article here in TIME by Kasparov on Carlsen's victory:

http://time100.time.com/2013/11/25/a-ne ... -in-chess/

JustinHadi

Post by JustinHadi » Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:57 pm

JustinHadi wrote:I genuinely think Anand is going to win this. Carlsen has no idea what he's let himself in for playing in Chennai.
Could not have been more wrong about this. Carlsen played really well of course.

Greg Breed

Post by Greg Breed » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:59 am

Paul McKeown wrote:
Greg Breed wrote:According to Wikipedia the standard convention of the continental boundary between Europe and Asia follows the Caucasus crest, the Urals River and the Urals Mountains to the Sea of Kara...
Pah! That would mean Kazakhstan is partly in Europe too!

So (Wiki) officially Turkey is not in Europe! Some might find that amusing...
Greg, I don't know what planet you are on, but here on Planet Earth, the province of Edirne is clearly north of the Bosphorus, on the European continental plate. Therefore Turkey, like Russia and Kazakhstan, spans the divides between Europe and Asia. Turkey is European, as well as Asian. The number of imperial wars it has fought on European soil with various other European imperial powers in the last 600 years, rather underlines that fact.

If you want an example of a country which is wholly Asian by plate tectonics, but always manages to get a free pass into the best European parties, then you should look no further than Cyprus.
Paul, I presume you are trying to get a rise out of me with this. Here on Planet Earth, the province of Edirne is clearly West of the Bosphorus, on the European continental plate, or if you want to be pedantic - West by North-West! North of the Bosphorus would be The Black Sea. I also don't see how the number of wars Turkey has fought on European soil emphasises or underlines anything. It's not as if they knew at the time that there was a Europe/Asia divide or that it was relevant then. It's just an arbitrary, imaginary line drawn on a map for the convenience of politics.
Hatch End A Captain (Hillingdon League)
Controller (Hillingdon League)

Paul McKeown

Post by Paul McKeown » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:29 pm

Greg,

I am not trying to take the rise out of you at all. However, you stated that Tureky is NOT in Europe. That is incorrect. It has territory in two continents, one of which is Europe. I cannot understand how you think that Turkey is not in Europe, as no matter how I stare at the map, Edirne remains. As for "North of the Bosphorus" vs. "West of the Bosphorus", it's not particularly salient to the question of whether Turkey is in Europe, as clearly Turkey lies on both shores, no matter how you name them. And as for the Ottoman rulers not being aware of the divide between Europe and Asia, I suppose in that case they really needn't have bothered with boats when they conquered Constantinople in 1453, they might have tried walking!

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:33 pm

Any postings on here represent my personal views

Nigel White

Post by Nigel White » Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:18 am

The politician whose face was on all the posters for the 2013 World Championship in Chennai and who provided most of the sponsorship funding through the state of Tamil Nadu has been jailed for four years for corruption: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-29390682

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:48 am

Lol! Good article Nigel, I particularly like the quotes:

"Known for her extravagant lifestyle, police once discovered more than 10,000 saris and 750 pairs of shoes in a raid on her premises"

"Her foster son's wedding almost 20 years ago broke world records for its sheer scale - including 150,000 guests."