Gashimov Memorial

The very latest International round up of English news.
Christopher Kreuzer

Re: Gashimov Memorial

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:46 am

I'll put in a bid for the role of "Person who makes the first move". I can do that to 2800 standard...

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:15 pm

Are you sure? The real plan is to enter it into Chess 960 tournaments at some stage. 8)

Matthew Lunn

Post by Matthew Lunn » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:46 pm

Malola Prasath is well versed in the Troitsky line, which he used to beat Jim Burnett during last season's 4NCL (North East England vs. White Rose 2).

Rumour has it Gary O'Grady is the world's leading authority on King (e1) and three connected pawns (a2, b2, c2) vs. King (e8) and three pawns (h7, g7, f7) -- I think he may have beaten Topalov (at Bunratty) at this mini-game?

Would love to see this develop as a new thread!

Simon Brown

Post by Simon Brown » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:44 pm

With apologies for interrupting, looks as if Carlsen is about to lose again. Sorry Geoff, can't do diagrams from work.

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:52 pm

Current state of affiars.

Magnus Carlsen vs Teimour Radjabov

AustinElliott

Post by AustinElliott » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:41 pm

Wow. When was the last time Carlsen lost two in a row? Did that happen in the Candidates?

Also seemed a very 'un-Carlsen-esque' opening to my eye, taking on Radjabov in a sharp-ish KID opposite-sides-castling set-up... which you'd think would be very much Radja's home turf, the latter being the KID aficionado.

Any of the Carlsen experts care to advise how often Carlsen has played the white side of c4-d4-e4 set-ups against the KID?

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:07 pm

AustinElliott wrote: Any of the Carlsen experts care to advise how often Carlsen has played the white side of c4-d4-e4 set-ups against the KID?
Without being a Carlsen expert, it's just a normal database search. The position after four moves with Black about to play .. d6 appears to have arisen ten times in his games, one of the more recent being against McShane in the 2009 London Chess Classic. He's had the position as Black nearly as often. He also had the line twice at Wijk in 2013, drawing with Aronian as Black and tempting Van Wely into a position considered difficult for forty years or more.

Let's not forget that he used to defend Dragons, even making the "too slow" moves .. a6 and .. Re8 work.
Last edited by Roger de Coverly on Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:07 pm

Colin is the Carlsen expert but for my part I remember him brushing past Topalov's KID in a tournament in China in 2009. That was when he was receiving training, including in the openings from Kasparov, and I suspect that this is more of an explanation that it is a coincidence.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:57 pm

And now Radjabov - who appeared to be in a major form crisis just months ago - leads the field :shock:
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:55 pm

Good to see Radjabov back playing, let alone playing well - 2013 was terrible for him - he seems to have spent some time getting himself together
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:09 am

Jonathan Rogers wrote: Which other players would we cannabilise to play the other parts of the game?
I nominate Jack Rudd for the blitz finishes.

Jonathan Rogers wrote:Impressive, if you knew that off the top of your head, which I expect you do by now.
I did know it was definitely a draw with Black to move. Had to work a few things out to be sure in other - e.g. what result if White to move. In particular I knew that the slightly strange looking ... Kg6 was necessary and the apparently more obvious ... Kf6 would lose, but it took me a while to work out/remember why.

I mentioned the Vancura position as my contribution to the chess = understanding or memory thread, btw.
http://www.ecforum.org.uk/viewtopic.php ... 15#p137263

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:01 am

Carlsen stops the rot, doing the double against Mamedyarov - has Nakamura again next.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

AustinElliott

Post by AustinElliott » Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:25 pm

Stupendously theoretical looking Grunfeld in Karjakin-Caruana today. Any of the 190+ and/or database-fiend brigade able to tell us how much was played before, or likely preparation? I'm tempted to infer from the move timings that they must have reached something new c. move 30...

Graham Borrowdale

Post by Graham Borrowdale » Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:09 pm

AustinElliott wrote:Stupendously theoretical looking Grunfeld in Karjakin-Caruana today. Any of the 190+ and/or database-fiend brigade able to tell us how much was played before, or likely preparation? I'm tempted to infer from the move timings that they must have reached something new c. move 30...
Indeed. I have no idea about the theory, but it inevitably came down to bare kings. Not the sort of line we see too often in the evening leagues.

Barry Sandercock

Post by Barry Sandercock » Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:00 pm

Magnus winning again today.