Olympiad

The very latest International round up of English news.
Chris Rice

Re: Olympiad

Post by Chris Rice » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:24 am

According to this Times article Judit Polgar, has decided to retire from chess. She wasn't playing much these days anyway and it may have been the loss to the young American Sam Shankland in Round 8 that's proved the straw. Pity though, I watched her play at Hastings one year and destroy Polugayevsky, she was bloody fantastic.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/puzzles/c ... 174361.ece

Paul Dargan

Post by Paul Dargan » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:18 am

Re: Polgar retirement - I suspect the danger of no longer being the top-rated woman in the world could have been the determining factor. Best to go out at the top.

Shame - but fully understandable.

Paul

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:57 pm

Yes a pity, especially given that she is still only 38. I do suspect, though, that she could be the first of a few in the fairly near future.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Tim Harding

Post by Tim Harding » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:24 pm

Last round pairings for the olympiad are up at chess-results.com tonight.
Unsurprisingly, Carlsen, Short and Judit Polgar are not playing, so Judit has played her last serious international game.
Scotland have omitted McNab. Ireland have omitted Mark Heidenfeld for the match v Wales, no doubt because Daly is doing well.

Top board match-ups of the round look like:
Wojtaszek-Wang Yue in match 1.
Kramnik v Vachier-Lagrave
Mamedyarov-Nakamura
Dominguez-Adams
Gelfand-Saric [the conqueror of Magnus]

Games start 10am BST. Enjoy and learn!
Tim Harding
Historian and FIDE Arbiter

Author of 'Steinitz in London,' British Chess Literature to 1914', 'Joseph Henry Blackburne: A Chess Biography', and 'Eminent Victorian Chess Players'
http://www.chessmail.com

Eoin Devane

Post by Eoin Devane » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:33 pm

Looking forward to seeing how the Poland-China match plays out. The Poles have their best player, Wojtaszek, and their most in-form player, Duda, both playing white, which is probably the situation that gives them the best chance in the match. If they can both continue their good form maybe they could produce a shock. China's SB tie-break advantage over Hungary probably means that a match draw would be enough to seal the title - I wonder if that fact will influence their approach?

Duda-Yu is also interesting since it's second against first in the board prize standings. Yu Yangyi has quite a big performance lead though, so possibly even a win wouldn't be enough for Duda to overhaul him.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:02 am

Tim Harding wrote:Last round pairings for the olympiad are up at chess-results.com tonight.
Unsurprisingly, Carlsen, Short and Judit Polgar are not playing, so Judit has played her last serious international game.
Scotland have omitted McNab. Ireland have omitted Mark Heidenfeld for the match v Wales, no doubt because Daly is doing well.

Top board match-ups of the round look like:
Wojtaszek-Wang Yue in match 1.
Kramnik v Vachier-Lagrave
Mamedyarov-Nakamura
Dominguez-Adams
Gelfand-Saric [the conqueror of Magnus]

Games start 10am BST. Enjoy and learn!
Tim Harding, "... Daly is doing well."
Here's an example -

Eoin Devane wrote:Looking forward to seeing how the Poland-China match plays out. The Poles have their best player, Wojtaszek, and their most in-form player, Duda, both playing white, which is probably the situation that gives them the best chance in the match. If they can both continue their good form maybe they could produce a shock. China's SB tie-break advantage over Hungary probably means that a match draw would be enough to seal the title - I wonder if that fact will influence their approach?

Duda-Yu is also interesting since it's second against first in the board prize standings. Yu Yangyi has quite a big performance lead though, so possibly even a win wouldn't be enough for Duda to overhaul him.
China and Poland should both play to win, though a draw may still be the end result.
Hungary may find it harder not to lose to Ukraine who could yet gain a top-three place.

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:31 am

I would assume that our medal hopes, Adams, Howell & Sadler will be looking for wins. However, as we're Black on 1 & 3 that's not likely to help so you get the feeling there will be 4 draws here as all 4 boards look evenly matched on Elo's:

Bo. 13 Cuba (CUB) Rtg - 10 England (ENG) Rtg 0 : 0
7.1 GM Dominguez Perez, Leinier 2760 - GM Adams, Michael 2740
7.2 GM Bruzon Batista, Lazaro 2664 - GM Jones, Gawain C B 2665
7.3 GM Quesada Perez, Yuniesky 2649 - GM Howell, David W L 2650
7.4 GM Ortiz Suarez, Isan Reynaldo 2603 - GM Sadler, Matthew D 2653

England have to be heavy favourites in the women's against Wales and a win would pretty much leave England around 39th place where there they were seeded:

Bo. 39 England (ENG) Rtg - 67 Wales (WLS) Rtg 0 : 0
27.1 IM Houska, Jovanka 2401 - WFM Richmond, Jane 2085
27.2 WIM Chevannes, Sabrina L 2171 - WFM Smith, Olivia 1968
27.3 Kalaiyalahan, Akshaya 2016 - WFM Blackburn, Suzie G. 1971
27.4 WFM James, Ann-Marie 2095 - WCM Roberts, Lynda 1920

stevencarr

Post by stevencarr » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:08 am

Chris Rice wrote:According to this Times article Judit Polgar, has decided to retire from chess. She wasn't playing much these days anyway and it may have been the loss to the young American Sam Shankland in Round 8 that's proved the straw. Pity though, I watched her play at Hastings one year and destroy Polugayevsky, she was bloody fantastic.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/puzzles/c ... 174361.ece
I saw her give a simul in Munich in 1989, and she played extremely well.

And very sharply - every move seemed to be putting her opponents under pressure. I was amazed how quickly she saw opportunities to sharpen the game and create chances for herself.

At the time, there were very realistic chances that she could one day win the Men's World Championship. Already at that early age, everybody knew that there was just no point in her going for the Women's World Championship.

I wasn't playing in the simul. I was playing Sofia Polgar in a blitz game where she was playing blindfold, and I was Black. I lost on the Black side of a Latvian Gambit.

JustinHadi

Post by JustinHadi » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:10 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:
That's an excellent game by Mr Daly.

I have to say the commentary by Trent and Gustafsson has been really first rate.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:12 am

Right, who's got the most windows open? I have only five. (China/commentary, Hungary, Russia women, Adams, Topalov.)
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Barry Sandercock

Post by Barry Sandercock » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:38 am

Which website is that ? I can't get them on chessBomb.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:51 am

chess24.com
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

Barry Sandercock

Post by Barry Sandercock » Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:01 am

Thanks Justin. Looks like four tough games today for England.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:25 am

China already not too far off their two points.
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

Lewis Martin

Post by Lewis Martin » Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:53 pm

David Howell has got a rather amusing position with all pawns on the board and have not moved off their own files, except for one white f-pawn on g3.

Sadler looks drawish. Jones looks very dodgy. Adams is probably better, but still plenty of play in that game.

Aronian beat Navara so that's more or less him out of contention for the medal board 1 places.