Olympiad

The very latest International round up of English news.
Alasdair MacLeod

Re: Olympiad

Post by Alasdair MacLeod » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:36 am

A small tribute to the second player who died at the Olympiad, Alisher Anarkulov;

http://www.ecforum.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=6798

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:53 am

Alasdair MacLeod wrote:A small tribute to the second player who died at the Olympiad, Alisher Anarkulov;

That is a nice tribute, Alasdair. Thanks for writing and posting that. I don't have much to add, the game I played against him wasn't anything special. Do you know if he played in any of the ICCD blitz events?

Picking up on the news report from Africa, instances of deaths or medical emergencies during a game are rare but is the most common'result' a draw? Team events are difficult, but maybe this event will prompt more formal advice on what can be done. Or should FIDE stay silent on such matters?

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:56 pm

Christopher > instances of deaths or medical emergencies during a game are rare but is the most common'result' a draw? Team events are difficult, but maybe this event will prompt more formal advice on what can be done. Or should FIDE stay silent on such matters?<

Medical emergencies during games are not that uncommon. But you have reminded me to take a couple of adjournment envelopes to Durban next month for the World Youth. I last used one for that purpose in Armenia in 1999.
I don't think FIDE could have precise rules on what happens when somebody dies at the board. Each very rare incident is unique.
In correspondence chess such games were adjudicated. That may still be the rule.

Alasdair MacLeod

Post by Alasdair MacLeod » Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:51 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:
Alasdair MacLeod wrote:A small tribute to the second player who died at the Olympiad, Alisher Anarkulov;

That is a nice tribute, Alasdair. Thanks for writing and posting that. I don't have much to add, the game I played against him wasn't anything special. Do you know if he played in any of the ICCD blitz events?
Thanks Chris, I had been focussing on the slowplay tournaments but going back over the Blitz tournaments held, Alisher won the bronze medal when he was 3rd in the 1st ICSC World Individual Blitz Chess Championship held in Portugal back in 2010 http://web.tiscalinet.it/estoril2010/Bl ... nkingT.pdf.

As you know, I quite like blitz chess so I will amend the original posting to include this achievement. He did not take part in the 2nd ICSC World Blitz Chess Championship in 2012 and as Uzbekistan did not take part in the ICCD World Deaf Team Championship recently in Croatia, obviously Alisher didn't play in the 3rd ICCD World Individual Blitz Chess Championship there.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:59 am

"I don't think FIDE could have precise rules on what happens when somebody dies at the board. Each very rare incident is unique.
In correspondence chess such games were adjudicated. That may still be the rule."

Except in team events, where it has been the practice to insert a substitute. When Alexander died, he was playing in a CC team event, and Ken Messere (from memory) replaced him. But that was some time ago.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:47 am

And in CC individual events, I am told, if the games have just started, the TD may insert a new player. If the games are well under way, then there is a choice of scoring all of them as losses (e.g if no games have finished), or adjudication if some games have already finished.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:03 am

Christopher Kreuzer wrote: instances of deaths or medical emergencies during a game are rare but is the most common'result' a draw?
I think it's now over twenty years since it happened, but a match in the Thames Valley League was just abandoned. The circumstances were particularly shocking as the player had passed away silently whilst seated at the Board. It wasn't discovered until the opponent became concerned that a move hadn't been played.

I don't know whether the match was replayed at a later date.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:03 pm

"I think it's now over twenty years since it happened, but a match in the Thames Valley League was just abandoned."

Tom West died whilst playing for Surbiton in 1977 (maybe TVL?) and the match was abandoned and I think replayed. I know of other cases (happily not many) where a match was abandoned then replayed in full, even though some games had been finished.

Mike Gunn

Post by Mike Gunn » Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:55 pm

One opponent of the late Graham Smith (secretary of Guildford for about 40 years) died at the board and the game was subsequently adjudicated as drawn. I'm pretty sure it was a Surrey League match in the 1950s and the event is recorded in the Guildford minute book.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:32 pm

Stewart Reuben wrote: I don't think FIDE could have precise rules on what happens when somebody dies at the board. Each very rare incident is unique.
What I did notice is that FIDE did cover expenses relating to this for at least one of the players:

http://chess-news.ru/en/node/16448

Depending on what assistance exactly was provided, that sounds like a nice gesture.