Hastings International Chess 29 Dec 2014 - 6 January 2015

The very latest International round up of English news.
Chris Rice

Re: Hastings International Chess 29 Dec 2014 - 6 January 201

Post by Chris Rice » Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:15 am

John McKenna wrote: I did not notice mention of my pairing by Chris Rice hereabouts in time. Otherwise I would have posted about my bye much earlier than I did. John
Clearly I need to be publishing the pairings earlier. So here they are for round 2. http://www.hastingschess.com/2015/SMWSite/

Nothing in particular stands out but there are obviously some good games to watch. Felt a bit sorry for Tim Spanton yesterday, clearly the repair work didn't go as well as John Upham hoped and sadly Tim lost to an underrated Mongolian substitute. The Peter Sowray effort was incredible against Ian Snape. Draw in 114 moves R+N v R ending, looked clearly drawn 60 moves before that, presumably the Carlsen effect?

Here's the live link to the games for round 2 at 2.15pm http://www.hastingschess.com/live-games-1415-ii/

Andy Stoker

Post by Andy Stoker » Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:55 am

Oh! John McKenna given 0/1 in first round. I don't think he'd requested that!

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:53 am

Andy Stoker wrote:Oh! John McKenna given 0/1 in first round. I don't think he'd requested that!
Not sure if someone has changed it since your post Andy as there is a 0.5 next to John's name but he has got a downfloat to someone on 0.

Alex McFarlane

Post by Alex McFarlane » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:40 am

The first three rounds are accelerated. Bottom half players within a half point of the lead will meet top half players on a lower score. (John comes into that category.)

He was paired as having a half point even though the computer showed him as 0. The computer has been severely reprimanded!

Dave Clayton and Matt Carr did a great job in getting the live games going yesterday as there were considerable problems with an Internet connection. (BT are coming in this morning to hopefully rectify that completely.)

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:06 am

My thanks, again, to Alex for explaining the pairings and results.

Last year I lost in the 1st round to someone rated 2037 then played someone 2176.

I am happy to get the chance to play better players and commend all the team at Hastings for making that possible and for showing games live on the internet.

Last year the bottom four boards were also shown live and I eventually made my way down to them, and remained there. My clubmates enjoyed watching me blundering about and some of them even put in a personal appearance to "support" me.

Hope to take my place at the board later today - with the kind permission of Southeast Trains?!

Sean Hewitt

Post by Sean Hewitt » Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:36 pm

Alex McFarlane wrote:The first three rounds are accelerated.
Alex - can you articulate the rationale. The FIDE swiss pairings commission is having a discussion about the pros and cons of accelerated pairing systems and what no-one seems to have nailed yet is what is the goal (or goals) of accelerated pairings?

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:03 pm

Sean Hewitt wrote: what is the goal (or goals) of accelerated pairings?
I can think of three, only one of which really applies at Hastings.

(1) where the event has more players than the natural limit for a Swiss. That was the original reason when pioneered by Stewart Reuben when the number of entries for a weekend Swiss would exceed the capacity of even a six round event to cope.

(2) enabling Norm seekers to meet stronger opposition than they would otherwise. That is, I presume, the Hastings reason, although relaxation of the Norm rules in recent years may have made it redundant.

(3) to reduce or remove the number of mismatches between players of vastly disparate standards that arise in the early rounds of a tournament where the skill range encompasses both top GMs and near beginners.

Hastings is enough rounds that (1) doesn't apply, whilst (3) doesn't either as the entry fee scheme pushes less skilled players into the supporting events.

The French use acceleration in a manner that also allows computerised pairings as many of their events are structured as a single section. Their method is a system of dummy points. In its latest incarnation it accelerates for seven rounds of a nine round tournament, the disadvantage of three rounds is that some or all the mismatches you are trying to avoid in round one, can reappear when the acceleration ends. That happens with the British system as well, at Sheffield 2011 Michael Adams had a much easier game in the fourth round than his rivals. His opponent, having won the first three games, scored hardly a point afterwards.
Last edited by Roger de Coverly on Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:11 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:That happens with the British system as well, at Sheffield 2011 Michael Adams had a much easier game in the fourth round than his rivals. His opponent, having won the first three games, scored hardly point afterwards.
To be fair, said opponent had beaten a 2300 and drawn with a 2400 to get up to 2.5/3, so you could hardly argue that he didn't deserve a pairing against someone very strong in round 4.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:27 pm

IM Jack Rudd wrote: To be fair, said opponent had beaten a 2300 and drawn with a 2400 to get up to 2.5/3, so you could hardly argue that he didn't deserve a pairing against someone very strong in round 4.
Looking up the tournament cross table, Adams only had 2.5/3 as well. That was an effect of acceleration since he had faced Hawkins (who finished in equal third) as early as round 2.

Alex McFarlane

Post by Alex McFarlane » Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:32 pm

The reason for acceleration at Hastings is that that is what is advertised!!!

Reasons 2 and 3 from Roger also apply.

I controlled the Durban Open which was not accelerated. Had it only been 9 rounds the first round mismatches would effectively have immediately reduced norm chances considerably. Many of the norm chasers would have already used up their enhanced opponent's rating. As it was the tournament only really got started at round 2. I received a few comments from players along the lines that the first round was a waste of time and money (extra night's accommodation) - this came from a player who was outclassed as well as the better players.

Alan Walton

Post by Alan Walton » Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:08 pm

Alex McFarlane wrote:I received a few comments from players along the lines that the first round was a waste of time and money (extra night's accommodation) - this came from a player who was outclassed as well as the better players.
I personally would take the other point of view, that the weaker players miss out on the chance on playing the stronger players when acceleration is used

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:40 pm

Alex McFarlane wrote: I controlled the Durban Open which was not accelerated. Had it only been 9 rounds the first round mismatches would effectively have immediately reduced norm chances considerably.
https://ratings.fide.com/tournament_det ... ent=100370
is the event that Alex refers to.

It reminds me of UK tournaments of the last 1980s and early 1990s such as the then Hastings Challengers when there were a number of players without FIDE ratings. That might add a fourth reason for acceleration, namely to facilitate games between rated and non-rated opponents. That is an objective which could conflict with Norm chances. Would acceleration have made a difference to Durban? UK style acceleration could hand a slow starting Norm seeker a second, third or fourth round pairing against an unrated player.

This year's Hastings Masters has I think just one player without an International rating.

Alex McFarlane

Post by Alex McFarlane » Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:52 pm

Alan Walton wrote:I personally would take the other point of view, that the weaker players miss out on the chance on playing the stronger players when acceleration is used
Agreed to a certain extent. Some players like to meet GMs regardless of how easily they will be defeated. Some like to challenge themselves against stronger players. In this case the latter did not really apply.

Another reason for acceleration could be attracting a sponsor. The more 'big' clashes you have then the greater the number of hits on the website and the more attractive the event becomes to a sponsor.

Alex McFarlane

Post by Alex McFarlane » Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:59 pm

Round 1 pgn files now available.

Follow the link for pairings on the Hastings website
http://www.hastingschess.com/2015/SMWSite/
and look for GAMES (PGN) heading.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:09 pm

Alex McFarlane wrote:The reason for acceleration at Hastings is that that is what is advertised!!!
The cutting edge information I'm sure Sean was hoping for! :wink:

Taking the list that has been developed so far:

(1) Where the event has more players than the natural limit for a Swiss. A Swiss can handle as many players as you want - this isn't the problem. The problem is having more than one person on 100% at the end. For example, you could limit the entry to a section. You could award prizes based on score, rather than placing; so having five players on 6/6 is no big deal. It is a fact that acceleration reduces the rating differences between pairs of opponents in round 1. You'd have to investigate the impact of doing this over a longer tournament to see what difference it makes.

(2) Enabling Norm seekers to meet stronger opposition than they would otherwise. Does this actually help? It may well give you stronger opponents in round 1, but using probability, I'd need to see some evidence that the norm conditions improve by acceleration. I would imagine one criterion would be increasing the average rating of your field. I suspect that the longer the tournament is, the less relevant it is; and the effect of accelerating for 3 rounds over a 9-round tournament is relatively low. The French system of 7-round acceleration for a 9-round tournament would have a more positive impact.

(3) To reduce or remove the number of mismatches between players of vastly disparate standards that arise in the early rounds of a tournament where the skill range encompasses both top GMs and near beginners. I think it is purely subjective as to whether this is a problem to be solved.

(4) Another reason for acceleration could be attracting a sponsor. The more 'big' clashes you have then the greater the number of hits on the website and the more attractive the event becomes to a sponsor. I suspect that given the pairings of an Open are only known the night before, you probably would watch the following day whatever the pairings were. I suspect the names of the players in the tournament are a far bigger attraction, rather than who they actually play.

If (1) was the reason that acceleration was initially used, then perhaps this is the natural starting point for further investigation. The objective is to avoid more than 1 player scoring 100%. There are a number of ways of doing this:
  • Traditional acceleration in the UK uses quarters; so you get something like 1 v 3, 4 v 2, 5 v 7, 8 v 6 in round 1. Why quarters? (Because norm seekers tend to gather in the second quarter?) You could use some other fraction, like sixths. This reduces the rating differences even more in round 1, but the impact of doing this in subsequent rounds needs to be tested. You could do this with the dummy points system, in giving the top half a dummy point.
  • You could pair as is normally done in seeded knockout tournaments: E.g. 1 v 8, 7 v 2, 3 v 6, 5 v 4. While the rating differences at the top increase, the probability of a draw would increase on the lower boards. Using traditional pairings, the probability of the higher seed winning is approximately equal all of the way through the round 1 pairings. Using these, I suspect you would have more draws, and so you would achieve the aim of knocking players out of the 100% scoregroup. I think this would be more noticeable in subsequent rounds, because chances are that the players at the very top of the tournament would have to play each other more quickly; which is one of the goals of acceleration, when traditionally implemented.
  • Floats. British arbiters traditionally agree or disagree on whether the median or top should float up, depending whether or not the tournament is "long", a term defined completely arbitrarily, but conveniently such that a long tournament is longer than a normal weekender. If you float, you will by definition have to float someone up on less than 100%. So even if the rating difference of the float pairing increases, the probability of the player on 100% retaining that pairing decreases. Equivalently, it increases still further if you float the bottom down, rather than the median down. The Dutch System, used by FIDE, already has top-up bottom-down floating, so this isn't something they need to spend time on.
I think you could try any combination of the above three to help solve problem (1).