2nd GM norm for Daniel Fernandez

The very latest International round up of English news.
Mick Norris
Posts: 6508
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:12 am
Location: Bolton, Greater Manchester
Contact:

GM rating requirement for Daniel Fernandez

Post by Mick Norris » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:19 am

LawrenceCooper wrote:
LawrenceCooper wrote:
Mick Norris wrote:
Dan beat Conor O'Donnell (2389) in round 3 and plays Gavin Wall (2329) in round 4
Around 2499 now then.
Sadly a round 4 loss (showing on the CCF page http://www.ccfworld.com/Chess/Results/2 ... I_Norm.htm ) means he is now a few wins away again.
Dan beat Strugnell (2288) in round 5 and plays Oyama (2205) in round 6

Joe McPhillips leads on 4.5/5 and needs 2/4 for an IM norm
Any postings on here represent my personal views and should not be taken as representative of the Manchester Chess Federation www.manchesterchess.co.uk

LawrenceCooper
Posts: 4306
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:13 am

Re: GM rating requirement for Daniel Fernandez

Post by LawrenceCooper » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:49 am

Mick Norris wrote:Dan beat Strugnell (2288) in round 5 and plays Oyama (2205) in round 6

Joe McPhillips leads on 4.5/5 and needs 2/4 for an IM norm
I think that Daniel needs 4/4 to reach 2500+.

User avatar
Christopher Kreuzer
Posts: 6589
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:34 am
Location: London

Re: GM rating requirement for Daniel Fernandez

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:34 am

LawrenceCooper wrote:
Mick Norris wrote:Dan beat Strugnell (2288) in round 5 and plays Oyama (2205) in round 6

Joe McPhillips leads on 4.5/5 and needs 2/4 for an IM norm
I think that Daniel needs 4/4 to reach 2500+.
McPhillips and Daniel Fernandez play in the last round on Friday afternoon.

McPhillips has a tough run-in to get the 2/4: GM Alexander Cherniaev, Conor O'Donnell IM Gavin Wall, and IM Daniel Fernandez.

Carl Strugnell, needing 3.5/4 might be able to get 3/3 against the bottom three in the tournament, but will need to get a draw or better against Cherniaev on Friday morning.

User avatar
Christopher Kreuzer
Posts: 6589
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:34 am
Location: London

Re: 2nd GM norm for Daniel Fernandez

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:47 pm

Daniel Fernandez won and Strugnell won. No result yet from Cherniaev-McPhillips.

LawrenceCooper
Posts: 4306
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:13 am

Re: 2nd GM norm for Daniel Fernandez

Post by LawrenceCooper » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:25 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:No result yet from Cherniaev-McPhillips.
1-0 sadly.

LawrenceCooper
Posts: 4306
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:13 am

Re: 2nd GM norm for Daniel Fernandez

Post by LawrenceCooper » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:32 pm

Daniel won in round 7 so I think he needs 2/2 to pass 2500. Carl & Joseph both need 1.5/2 tomorrow for IM norms.

Stewart Reuben
Posts: 3495
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:04 pm
Location: writer

Re: 2nd GM norm for Daniel Fernandez

Post by Stewart Reuben » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:52 am

I just had a look. There are over 50 Daniel Fernandez listed in the FIDE Rating List. Nearly all of them have another name, as is normal practice with Spanish names.

Alexander Hardwick
Posts: 118
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 4:45 pm
Location: Surrey

Re: 2nd GM norm for Daniel Fernandez

Post by Alexander Hardwick » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:08 am

I note that Carl appears to have his 3 IM norms already - 2 on the FIDE database, plus the recent Tralee Classic result.

User avatar
Christopher Kreuzer
Posts: 6589
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:34 am
Location: London

Re: 2nd GM norm for Daniel Fernandez

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:24 am

Alexander Hardwick wrote:I note that Carl appears to have his 3 IM norms already - 2 on the FIDE database, plus the recent Tralee Classic result.
He drew with Cherniaev in this morning's round, so if he does still need another norm, he can get that with a win in the afternoon (which you would think he would be able to get, no disrespect to his opponent).

Those norms mentioned above on the FIDE website:

https://ratings.fide.com/title_norms.ph ... 3&title=IM

Both those were obtained while registered for France (FRA). Did he switch to Wales (WLS) recently. The certificates say born in France. Regular ECF grading history from 2014.

Tralee Classic thread here:

http://www.ecforum.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=9059

LawrenceCooper
Posts: 4306
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:13 am

Re: 2nd GM norm for Daniel Fernandez

Post by LawrenceCooper » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:33 am

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:[Did he switch to Wales (WLS) recently.
https://ratings.fide.com/fedchange.phtml?year=2015

616753 Strugnell, Carl WLS FRA 2015-04-07 2015-01-22
Last FIDE event: no participation under FRA flag
Citizenship: WLS
Date of eligibility to participate in the FIDE events under the new flag 2015-04-08
Transfer fee Euro 1000
Date starting from which a player can represent the new federation fee free 2016-04-08

LawrenceCooper
Posts: 4306
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:13 am

Re: 2nd GM norm for Daniel Fernandez

Post by LawrenceCooper » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:21 pm

LawrenceCooper wrote:Daniel won in round 7 so I think he needs 2/2 to pass 2500. Carl & Joseph both need 1.5/2 tomorrow for IM norms.
Daniel won in round 8 so back to "needing to win with black" to hit 2500 scenario.

Alan Walton
Posts: 1165
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:33 pm
Location: Oldham

Re: 2nd GM norm for Daniel Fernandez

Post by Alan Walton » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:40 pm

LawrenceCooper wrote:
LawrenceCooper wrote:Daniel won in round 7 so I think he needs 2/2 to pass 2500. Carl & Joseph both need 1.5/2 tomorrow for IM norms.
Daniel won in round 8 so back to "needing to win with black" to hit 2500 scenario.
I suspect that if Joe only needs a draw in the last round against Daniel for his IM norm, I reckon Daniel will do that

LawrenceCooper
Posts: 4306
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:13 am

Re: 2nd GM norm for Daniel Fernandez

Post by LawrenceCooper » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:53 pm

Alan Walton wrote:
LawrenceCooper wrote:
LawrenceCooper wrote:Daniel won in round 7 so I think he needs 2/2 to pass 2500. Carl & Joseph both need 1.5/2 tomorrow for IM norms.
Daniel won in round 8 so back to "needing to win with black" to hit 2500 scenario.
I suspect that if Joe only needs a draw in the last round against Daniel for his IM norm, I reckon Daniel will do that
Yes, would be a decent outcome for all.

LawrenceCooper
Posts: 4306
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:13 am

Re: 2nd GM norm for Daniel Fernandez

Post by LawrenceCooper » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:32 pm

Wall 0 McPhillips 1 has just appeared on the tournament website.

Mick Norris
Posts: 6508
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:12 am
Location: Bolton, Greater Manchester
Contact:

Re: 2nd GM norm for Daniel Fernandez

Post by Mick Norris » Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:05 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:
Alexander Hardwick wrote:I note that Carl appears to have his 3 IM norms already - 2 on the FIDE database, plus the recent Tralee Classic result.
He drew with Cherniaev in this morning's round, so if he does still need another norm, he can get that with a win in the afternoon (which you would think he would be able to get, no disrespect to his opponent)
Carl has won, for his 4th IM norm; do we know what his highest ever rating was?
Any postings on here represent my personal views and should not be taken as representative of the Manchester Chess Federation www.manchesterchess.co.uk

Post Reply