CCCCC

The very latest International round up of English news.
Jonathan Rogers

Re: CCCCC

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:10 pm

So at the time of writing. Golding v Rudd has seen fifteen more moves than any other game (!) and is about to be a decisive result. It really is a comedy pairing.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:16 pm

Bob, I won't deny it was a great result, yesterday, for Chris F (along with his draw with the Spanish FM in 1st round) and that it's a good game.

Meanwhile, today, its slow march versus DOUBLE AWAY!!
On board 1 they've barely played 15 moves while on board 4 they've more than doubled that.
So at the time of writing. Golding v Rudd has seen fifteen more moves than any other game (!) and is about to be a decisive result. It really is a comedy pairing.
Must have a look at that.

Barry Sandercock

Post by Barry Sandercock » Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:29 pm

Jack Rudd won. The fast play obviously suits him !

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:32 pm

Jack might be able give Hou Yifan a few pointers about dealing with the Italian.

Alex tried to defend himself but I think he's just got to try to slow down his rate-of-knots speed of play.

Edit: Lalic,B 1/2 Gormally,D in 40 moves - a brisk workout but not pushing it.

Bob Kane

Re: CCCCC vs National Club

Post by Bob Kane » Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:45 pm

Reasonable coverage of the CCCCC but what about ECFs "National Club" that is taking place this weekend?.

This once prestigious event is now neglected by the ECF, promotion is minimal . did your club get an emailed invite?

I consider this to be a "heritage" event, an event the ECF has an inherited duty to nurture and promote.
Instead of asking the membership for a random 4K for "chess in pubs " what about looking after these heritage events?

Carl Hibbard

Re: CCCCC vs National Club

Post by Carl Hibbard » Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:13 pm

Bob Kane wrote:Reasonable coverage of the CCCCC but what about ECFs "National Club" that is taking place this weekend?.

This once prestigious event is now neglected by the ECF, promotion is minimal . did your club get an emailed invite?

I consider this to be a "heritage" event, an event the ECF has an inherited duty to nurture and promote.
Instead of asking the membership for a random 4K for "chess in pubs " what about looking after these heritage events?
National Club was killed off by the 4NCL although I agree on the silly chess in pubs idea.
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Leonard Barden

Post by Leonard Barden » Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:02 pm

Impressive recovery by Akshaya Kalaiyalahan to win her final five games after a dreadful start.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:19 pm

Leonard Barden wrote:Impressive recovery by Akshaya Kalaiyalahan to win her final five games after a dreadful start.
Yes, a great effort to recover from losing close to 60 points to gaining slightly and finishing 5th= alongside two GMs.

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:25 pm

I saw 34...Rh7 in the Fegan game. What I didn't see was the h-pawn.

Brian Towers

Post by Brian Towers » Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:05 pm

IM Jack Rudd wrote:I saw 34...Rh7 in the Fegan game. What I didn't see was the h-pawn.
Was your f pawn not screaming to be pushed to f5 sometime round about when his knight was on a1?
Ah, but I was so much older then. I'm younger than that now.

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:21 pm

Possibly. So many things were screaming at me in that game, it was hard to work things out.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:52 am

Bob Kane >I consider this to be a "heritage" event, an event the ECF has an inherited duty to nurture and promote.<

I believe the federation clings onto too many events that have passed their bye bye date.
The proposed pub event will need considerable justification. If the activity is not to be graded, what does it have to do with the ECF? If it is to be a graded team championship, well they could already play in the NCC. How many of you remember there used to be a National Works Team Championship?

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:00 pm

Yes, I recall mentions of that in old chess magazines. When did it finally expire?
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:23 am

I don't know. I do remember it still existed in about 1956. I have a feeling 'Works team' had a social connotation such that management did not play.
There is still a London Commercial League. I was quite surprised to learn there is/was a New York commercial League. I had no idea when I lived there, but learnt about it much later.
There is no reason to believe a National Commercial League or Knockout would be any more successful than the National Club.
Other events that have died include:
British Championship Qualifying
Battle of Britain Championship both driven out by weekend Swisses.
British Lightning driven out by British Rapidplay.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:03 pm

The lightning championship (both team and individual) was still around in the late 80s - I played at the 1987 event in Liverpool.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)