WC Match 2016 - New York 10-30 November

The very latest International round up of English news.
JustinHorton

Re: WC Match 2016 - New York 10-30 November

Post by JustinHorton » Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:11 pm

Chris Rice wrote:
JustinHorton wrote: More radical but also barmy, no?
Why?
Because it's the world championship, not a weekend mixed-format tournament. You may as well replace the World Cup Final (almost always a tedious game since 1990) with penalty shootouts and five-a-side.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:15 pm

I have found most of the games very interesting, but I understand many people have not.

However I don't really see the problem as openings. I think this is about the players who are in the final.

MVL-Topalov would be entirely different, even with the same rules.

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:17 pm

I think they actually have rather a good format for this match. Purists would prefer it not to end with rapid play games, but Karjakin has been a mentally strong challenger and Carlson hasn't played well enough to win the match. Carrying on until one player tires and makes a mistake hardly seems fairer than mixing it up with faster time controls.
I do though hope we have a winner in the 25 minute matches. I think Carlsen is back to being a strong favourite - I'll give him a 75% chance of winning. However, if Karjakin wins I will not be disappointed and I think he'd make a very worthy World Champin.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:19 pm

Jonathan Bryant wrote:I think 14 or 16 games would be a reasonable compromise. Perhaps with fewer non playing days as you suggest. At least they don’t get to take a day off just because they don’t feel like playing these days
You could have an opening ceremony at a weekend, and then play Mon, Tue, Wed, rest, Fri, Sat, Sun, rest, Tues, Wed, Thur, rest, Sat, Sun, Mon, rest, Wed, Thur for a 14 game match; playoffs on Sat, closing ceremony Sun; maximising games at the weekend with no weekend rest days

The format of a rest day after 3 games means that you don't have to have the WBWBWB then BWBWBW colour sequence to avoid one player always having white after the rest day

The event duration would be similar to the current 12 day match with rest days after every 2 games; I think Mark Crowther at TWIC has been pushing for this
Any postings on here represent my personal views

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:20 pm

Matthew Turner wrote:I'll give him a 75% chance of winning.
My estimate too
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:23 pm

Paul Cooksey wrote:I have found most of the games very interesting, but I understand many people have not.

However I don't really see the problem as openings. I think this is about the players who are in the final.

MVL-Topalov would be entirely different, even with the same rules.
I haven't met a single chess player who hasn't found this match exciting. It is a match with a lot of intrigue on various level; I am slightly surprised that it hasn't attracted more mainstream commentary - it links in very easily with other non-chess narratives.

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:23 pm

JustinHorton wrote:
Chris Rice wrote:
JustinHorton wrote: More radical but also barmy, no?
Why?
Because it's the world championship, not a weekend mixed-format tournament. You may as well replace the World Cup Final (almost always a tedious game since 1990) with penalty shootouts and five-a-side.
I'm not sure that I understand this comment given that rapid games will decide this WC match ie its a mixed format already? Anyway think we do agree that 12 games is too short and as Jon says above 24 games may be too long so we need a Goldilocks number somewhere in between. In addition, I would be happy If we go back to the champion having the draw odds so we can do away with a tie break system altogether.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:36 pm

Draw odds would need more than 12 games, surely. 16 might just be enough, maybe?
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:54 pm

Mick Norris wrote: maximising games at the weekend with no weekend rest days
During the 2008 EU Championships at Liverpool, the organisers commented that the number of website hits to follow the games was higher during the working week than at weekends. From memory that was just a plain relay of the games in progress, without video or commentary.

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:44 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:During the 2008 EU Championships at Liverpool, the organisers commented that the number of website hits to follow the games was higher during the working week than at weekends
Well-remembered! That was from my closing speech. I recall the information caused great merriment among the assembly when I linked it to a collapse in productivity across the EU. And the data we had then spoke clearly. 'Hits' peaked by Monday noon, plateau'd, then fell away on Friday to much lower weekend levels. Games were shown 'live', much as now; but no commentary

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:55 pm

Similar with hits to our old blog, for what it's worth.
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

Brian Towers

Post by Brian Towers » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:43 pm

Matthew Turner wrote:I am slightly surprised that it hasn't attracted more mainstream commentary - it links in very easily with other non-chess narratives.
Magnus couldn't have done much more after playing the Trumpowsky in game 1.
Ah, but I was so much older then. I'm younger than that now.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:49 am

An interesting suggestion by Seirawan that matches should be over an odd number of games with the player having more Blacks being the winner in the event of a tie.

http://en.chessbase.com/post/seirawan-r ... 6-new-york

Rather than randomly assigning who has the draw odds, shouldn't it be the defending champion?

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:53 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:An interesting suggestion by Seirawan that matches should be over an odd number of games with the player having more Blacks being the winner in the event of a tie.

Interesting idea. Not sure I find it perfect but first feeling is that it’s better than rapidplay off and Armageddon at least - assuming match is long enough.

Presumably somebody of a mathematical bent - i.e. not me - could work out a model that take the results of games from World Championshio matches over the last 10 years (say) and demonstrate the length of match you’d need to balance the proportional chance of a decisive game and the need to score +1 against having an extra White.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:59 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:An interesting suggestion by Seirawan that matches should be over an odd number of games with the player having more Blacks being the winner in the event of a tie.

http://en.chessbase.com/post/seirawan-r ... 6-new-york

Rather than randomly assigning who has the draw odds, shouldn't it be the defending champion?
Yes, best idea so far if the Champion has the draw odds i.e. the extra black ( a game 13 in the current scenario)

I think there are fewer problems with any system if there are enough games; 12 isn't enough, 14 would be better, maybe 16 ideal although I think Anand reckoned 16 would be too tiring now?

On a different note, Jonathan Tisdall has expanded (from WTF?) on his game 12 report Why The Fuss which includes the interesting observation about Carlsen's food being "searched"
Any postings on here represent my personal views