2016 Olympiad - Baku

The very latest International round up of English news.
Jonathan Rogers

Re: 2016 Olympiad - Baku

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:32 pm

John Moore wrote:England paired with India in Round 8 - might be much worse, I would have thought.
a very good time to play them too!

John Moore

Post by John Moore » Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:34 pm

Russia get the upfloat to the USA. Other top pairings are Georgia-Ukraine (the!) and Azerbaijan with the upfloat to Latvia.
And I have to go to the Proms in the Park with the wife tomorrow - score 1 billion points since we are staying overnight as well. Then on Sunday, I can settle down to the real business again.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:34 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:Maybe the ChessVibes tweet can be parsed this way:

"[Nigel Short] refused [an] anti-cheating check during game. Penalty is [and should be] forfeit [but this didn't happen]. Takes guts [which the arbiters didn't have] to turn England's 3-1 win over China into 2-2."

Hopefully that is what happened. Worrying.
Well I assumed Christopher was right in saying was a joke but if it is, ChessVibes haven't given up on it
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:36 pm

I was looking up the ICCD (International Chess Committee of the Deaf) results:

http://chess-results.com/tnr232875.aspx ... =30&wi=821

I noticed that their board 1, Yehuda Gruenfeld from Israel, has won by default twice, once against Kuwait and once against Algeria. I can only think that this must be an Arab-Israeli thing, where Arab countries refuse to play Israeli players. Does anyone know anything definite about this?

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:40 pm

JustinHorton wrote:
Christopher Kreuzer wrote:Maybe the ChessVibes tweet can be parsed this way:

"[Nigel Short] refused [an] anti-cheating check during game. Penalty is [and should be] forfeit [but this didn't happen]. Takes guts [which the arbiters didn't have] to turn England's 3-1 win over China into 2-2."

Hopefully that is what happened. Worrying.
Well I assumed Christopher was right in saying was a joke but if it is, ChessVibes haven't given up on it
I see I was right, they were speculating that a default was in the pipeline:
ChessVibes wrote:It WILL take guts, that is. Decision by the anti-cheating commission still unclear at the moment.
Again, what do the regulations actually say about this. Are mid-game searches allowed?

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:42 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:Again, what do the regulations actually say about this. Are mid-game searches allowed?
I am sure that I can remember a discussion about this on here, and I'm sure I can remembering commenting to the effect that "that'll go well", but I cannot for the life of me find that discussion now. Maybe it was proposed before the Candidates or something?
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

John Moore

Post by John Moore » Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:44 pm

Chris - not much point in speculating on the basis of the Chessvibes stuff. Perhaps we might ask someone on the ground to tell us what is going on.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:46 pm

JustinHorton wrote:
Christopher Kreuzer wrote:Again, what do the regulations actually say about this. Are mid-game searches allowed?
I am sure that I can remember a discussion about this on here, and I'm sure I can remembering commenting to the effect that "that'll go well", but I cannot for the life of me find that discussion now. Maybe it was proposed before the Candidates or something?
Maybe somewhere around here? John is right, though, best not to speculate any further.

John Moore

Post by John Moore » Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:47 pm

If you go the Official website and look for Information for Participants on the left hand side, you will see that mid-game searches are allowed.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:50 pm

Indeed:

Anti-Cheating
BAKU 2016 wrote:DURING THE ROUND: there will be random checks for approximately 30 to 40 players. The checks will be done by Anti Cheating Arbiters with the use of the non-linear scanners and detectors, and will take 5 to 10 seconds for every check. In case of any indication, a thorough check will follow, according to Article 11.3.b of the Laws of Chess (in a private room, in the presence of Sector Arbiter and/or Chief Arbiter, etc. If a player refuses to cooperate under these obligations, the arbiter shall take measures in accordance with Article 12.9 and forfeit the player). Special attention will be paid to the first four (4) Matches of every Section, where about 20 players from both Sections will be checked randomly during every round. The Sector Arbiter responsible for Anti-Cheating, in cooperation with the Chief Arbiter, will decide on the players to be checked in every round.
But it might have been a random check after the game (see the link above, section 3).
Last edited by Christopher Kreuzer on Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:51 pm

The guidelines published on the FIDE website before the event started.

https://www.fide.com/component/content/ ... mpiad.html
2.DURING THE ROUND
: there will be random checks for approximately 30 to 40 players.
The checks will be done by the Anti cheating Arbiters with the use of
the non linear scanners and detectors and will take 5 to 10 seconds for every check
. In the case where there is any indication, a thorough check will follow, according to the art. 11.3.b. of the Laws of Chess ( in a private room, in the presence of Sector Arbiter and/or Chief Arbiter and so on). If a player refuses to cooperate with these obligations, the arbiter shall take measures in accordance with Article 12.9 and will forfeit the player). Special attention will be given to the first four (4) Matches of every Section, where during every Round about 20 players from both sections will be checked randomly. The Sector Arbiter responsible for Anti-cheating, in cooperation with the Chief Arbiter, will decide about the players who will be checked in every round
No-one picked up on this before the Olympiad, but I would have thought it totally disruptive to haul a player away during the game because a scanner happened to go ping.

Alistair Campbell

Post by Alistair Campbell » Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:52 pm

JustinHorton wrote:A pedant writes: Ukraine, rather than "the Ukraine".
Not the most important thing right now, but should it be "Netherlands" rather than "the Netherlands"? (I assume not "Holland".)

John Moore

Post by John Moore » Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:55 pm

Alistair Campbell wrote:
JustinHorton wrote:A pedant writes: Ukraine, rather than "the Ukraine".
Not the most important thing right now, but should it be "Netherlands" rather than "the Netherlands"? (I assume not "Holland".)
Hells teeth, I haven't said the Netherlands as well, have I. :lol:

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:56 pm

Jonathan Rogers wrote:
John Moore wrote:England paired with India in Round 8 - might be much worse, I would have thought.
a very good time to play them too!
Well, I presume Sethuraman may be rested.......
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

John Moore

Post by John Moore » Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:58 pm

And not before time, perhaps. But it's a big drop to their board 5.