Baku Congress

The very latest International round up of English news.
NickFaulks

Baku Congress

Post by NickFaulks » Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:03 am

Sitting in Congress now. We are quorate, already an uptick from Tromso, although ENG is of course missing.

Kirsan has just sat down after a 45 minute speech, too long. He complains about his treatment by the US Treasury, where I think he gains a lot of sympathy, and compares his position with that of Bobby Fischer, probably less well advised.

Ian Wilkinson of Jamaica, who may or may not still be a Kasparov operative, is now ( I think ) attempting to introduce a motion of no confidence. The constitutional status is a bit unclear but he is certainly being allowed his full say.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Alex Holowczak

Re: Baku Congress

Post by Alex Holowczak » Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:14 am

NickFaulks wrote:Kirsan has just sat down after a 45 minute speech, too long.
I've sat through two longer speeches than that at the Anti-Cheating Committee and the Online Commission meetings.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:28 am

ENG in the house.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:23 am

Is Kasparov there?

Angus French

Post by Angus French » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:36 am

MJMcCready wrote:Is Kasparov there?
Kasparov is, I believe, currently banned from office.

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:41 am

But he's not banned from visiting his home town in an unofficial capacity presumably?

Leonard Barden

Post by Leonard Barden » Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:00 am

MJMcCready wrote:But he's not banned from visiting his home town in an unofficial capacity presumably?
ChessVibes reported that NewinChess has a display stand at the Olympiad, where they showed front covers of their recent issues. One of these covers pictured Kasparov, presumably reporting on his St Louis blitz quadrangular success.
Security requested that NiC remove the Kasparov issue from public display.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:00 am

MJMcCready wrote:Is Kasparov there?
Not sighted, and you don't generally miss him.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:03 am

They skated around the vote on whether to have a no confidence vote. Bad tactic in my view, will only lead to trouble later.

MJMcCready

Post by MJMcCready » Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:06 am

Leonard Barden wrote:
MJMcCready wrote:But he's not banned from visiting his home town in an unofficial capacity presumably?
ChessVibes reported that NewinChess has a display stand at the Olympiad, where they showed front covers of their recent issues. One of these covers pictured Kasparov, presumably reporting on his St Louis blitz quadrangular success.
Security requested that NiC remove the Kasparov issue from public display.
That's interesting. I used to live there and whenever I asked about what they thought of Kasparov, it was often difficult to get beyond the fact that 1) he had an Armenian mother 2) when Azerbaijan gained independence he played for Russia instead. I wouldn't say they thought of him as a traitor but it was a long those lines, but this is from within the amateur scene, I can't comment what those in the higher echelons of society thought of him as I never spoke to those I met about him.

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:08 am

NickFaulks wrote:ENG in the house.
So not, "of course missing" then?

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:53 am

Richard Bates wrote:
NickFaulks wrote:ENG in the house.
So not, "of course missing" then?
If everyone had shown up 2 1/2 hours late we couldn't have started the meeting. Fortunately, most didn't.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:12 am

We're quorate this morning without much to spare. ENG missing, Suggestion from the Chair that henceforth delegates who cannot be bothered show up at General Assembly should maybe not get their free rooms, general support from those who are present.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:01 am

Merenzon has given a big Agon presentation. I must say that I would be very surprised if the New York match didn't happen. Agon insist that no re-broadcasting of moves will be permitted, but it does not sound as though they have nailed down any legal basis outside Russia.

Andy Howie

Post by Andy Howie » Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:42 am

Pretty much my reading of it as well Nick. When Malcolm asked them about it their response was not convincing at all