International Tournament News

The very latest International round up of English news.
Matthew Turner

International Tournament News

Post by Matthew Turner » Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:09 pm

Just noticed some international news on the ECF webpage. What a cracking performance from Stewart Haslinger and it is really nice to see the ECF regularly updating International news. I just wish that someone would realise this should probably take precedence over the announcement of the 12th Annual Junior Orange Bowl 27th-29th December.

Simon Spivack

Re: International Tournament News

Post by Simon Spivack » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:56 pm

I see on the pdf
Scottish Championship
http://www.chessscotland.com/live2009/index.html
The English invasion of 12 players is being lead by GM Mark Hebden. English scores are as follows:

Mark Hebden, Katie Martin, Aaron Summerscale & Peter Poobalasingam 2.5/3

Andrew Greet, David Eggleston, Dominic Foord, Mark Lyell & Michael White 2

David Archibald 1.5

Martin Lunn & Mike Surtees 1
Dave Archibald English? Has Edwin's town been returned to England? Glescae keelies will be pleased.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:35 pm

Matthew Turner wrote:Just noticed some international news on the ECF webpage. What a cracking performance from Stewart Haslinger and it is really nice to see the ECF regularly updating International news. I just wish that someone would realise this should probably take precedence over the announcement of the 12th Annual Junior Orange Bowl 27th-29th December.
There needs to be an International News section to give room for more English news and reduce the number of "adverts" a bit!
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:18 pm

In simple terms there are two issues for the website, namely design and content.
I remain to be convinced by the design, I actually thought the old design was OK, but perhaps the new design will take some getting used to, so I'll give it time.
There seem to be much more up-to-date content than there used to be. I'm not sure who is to thank for this (I suspect Lawrence Cooper has had a big role in the Interantional content), but whoever it is deserves a pat on the back.
However, it seems information is just displayed chronologically and there doesn't seem to any sorting of what is headline news and what is frankly garbage.
Last edited by Matthew Turner on Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LozCooper

Post by LozCooper » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:34 pm

Hi all, nice to see my weekly round-up getting a mention on the forum. I e-mail it every Tuesday to the ECF after the weekly TWIC is published. If anyone spots any errors or omissions, please let me know as especially during the summer it can be difficult to keep track of where everyone is playing.

If there is sufficient interest I can post the link each week to the forum as it isn't always easy to find on the site and it doesn't always get posted the same day it's sent.

This week's link is: http://www.englishchess.org.uk/index.ph ... &Itemid=50 for anyone who hasn't already found/seen it.

Any feedback is welcome.

Lawrence

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:05 pm

Matthew Turner wrote: However, it seems information is just displayed chronologically and there doesn't seem to any sorting of what is headline news and what is frankly garbage.
I don't know how possible it is with the software, but one way of doing it would be to "vote" for each article as it gets added to the page. Then have a section for new articles, and a section for articles with x votes or more. That way, the popular items are displayed in chronological order, and the not so-popular articles are displayed elsewhere.

Tim Spanton

Post by Tim Spanton » Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:17 pm

I found the What's New section of the old site very helpful but can't seem to find one on the new site

John Upham

Post by John Upham » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:22 pm

Tim Spanton wrote:I found the What's New section of the old site very helpful but can't seem to find one on the new site
Tim et al,

The next best thing (and it may be better) is the ECF RSS feed, the icon for which is in the bottom RH corner of the home page. It is the little orange thingy -> Image

To save the trouble of finding this : http://www.englishchess.org.uk/index.ph ... d&type=rss

Hope that helps!

I have drawn these matters to the attention of the ECF Office but they do not have the time or inclination to visit the English Chess Forum apparently.

In business I like to get feedback from my users of whatever polarity (+ve, -ve or =) but maybe I expect too much from others! :lol:
British Chess News : britishchessnews.com
Twitter: @BritishChess
Facebook: facebook.com/groups/britishchess :D

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:10 am

Whatever the cause, Stewart Haslinger's marvellous performance is still on the ECF front page and the Orange Bowl seems to have been relegated, so it looks like someone at the Office is taking note of comments here.

LozCooper

Post by LozCooper » Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:28 pm

Hi all,

This week's round-up is now on the ECF site which can be accessed via the link below:

http://www.englishchess.org.uk/index.ph ... 9&catid=47

Sadly it's hidden on page 2 and I don't think ever made it to page 1. Lead story is Simon Williams winning the Swiss Open with 7.5/9 including a win against the legendary Viktor Korchnoi.

Lawrence

Leonard Barden

Post by Leonard Barden » Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:20 pm

It is completely shameful for members of the ECF Board, particularly those who read this forum and/or hold very senior positions in the Federation, to allow Loz Cooper's outstandingly well-informed and comprehensive international reports to appear below some tinpot American event (as last week) or to be excluded from page 1 (as this week).

This is particularly poor, even unpatriotic, when the reports include significant successes for English players such as the impressive results by Stewart Haslinger and Simon Williams.

Loz's reports should ALWAYS have prominent front page billing and a headline announcing the main item.
Last edited by Leonard Barden on Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:31 pm

Leonard Barden wrote:Loz's reports should ALWAYS have prominent front page billing and a headline announcing the main item.
It should of course (and I believe it can be done...) even with the awful new site as it is :?
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Simon Brown

Post by Simon Brown » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:26 pm

Well said, Leonard.

But can anyone tell me when the E/BCF attributed more kudos to English international achievements than to other "tinpot" events? I can't - and I was International Director in the early 1990's, when a certain quite important event took place in London. OK, websites weren't common in those days, but if they were, would that event have received more than a passing mention?

LozCooper

Post by LozCooper » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:48 pm

Hi all,

Latest round-up is now on the ECF site at:

http://www.englishchess.org.uk/index.ph ... &Itemid=50

It's currently on page 1 as well :D

LozCooper

Post by LozCooper » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:51 am

Hi all,

Latest round-up is now on the ECF site at:

http://www.englishchess.org.uk/index.ph ... &Itemid=50

It's currently on page 1 as well :D

Any feedback this week? :?
Last edited by Carl Hibbard on Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Link correction here