Tata Steel 2017

The very latest International round up of English news.
Mick Norris

Re: Tata Steel 2017

Post by Mick Norris » Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:21 pm

Any postings on here represent my personal views

Nick Burrows

Post by Nick Burrows » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:13 pm

Joshua Gibbs wrote:
Matt Mackenzie wrote:R,B and 2P against Q is normally a win for the former I would have thought.

White having a RP and "wrong" colour B is what stymied Carlsen here. He will be quite annoyed I suspect.
Has anyone got access to the Lomonosov tables to check?
Tablebase draw

Joshua Gibbs

Post by Joshua Gibbs » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:29 pm

Nick Burrows wrote:
Joshua Gibbs wrote:
Matt Mackenzie wrote:R,B and 2P against Q is normally a win for the former I would have thought.

White having a RP and "wrong" colour B is what stymied Carlsen here. He will be quite annoyed I suspect.
Has anyone got access to the Lomonosov tables to check?
Tablebase draw
thanks

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:58 pm

Carl Hibbard wrote:
Barry Sandercock wrote:Magnus missed a win at move 56. Now they are on move 95 and it looks like being a very long endgame with Magnus trying to grind out a win, but will probably be a draw unless someone blunders.
Some moves for his ego late on but rather unprofessional from Magnus I feel.
Agree with Carl here. Magnus should never have missed 56.Rc8+, an absolutely trivial win, and it does look very much like he was trying to salvage pride here by playing on. Should also have agreed a draw immediately after the Black king took the right White pawn after the exchange of queen for rook.

Can anyone with access to the Lomonosov tablebases say what difference it tends to make which files you have two connected passed pawns on, and if the pawns had been on the a and b files (i.e. not the wrong corner), would that have been a win?

Joshua Gibbs

Post by Joshua Gibbs » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:30 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Richard Bates wrote:Incredible - Aronian blunders a piece on move 10, and Karjakin missed it!

A slightly unusual idea. It's always possible that he saw it and also saw apparent counterplay. Lev presumably missed it entirely. .. f6 is a move I expect he wants to play, but not if it fails tactically.
Karjakin tweeted: "It is always fantastic to play one good game in a row, but sometimes it is more effective to play one good move in a row Smiley smiley smiley#11.c4!!!"

I think he just missed it!

Nick Burrows

Post by Nick Burrows » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:02 am

Christopher Kreuzer wrote: Can anyone with access to the Lomonosov tablebases say what difference it tends to make which files you have two connected passed pawns on, and if the pawns had been on the a and b files (i.e. not the wrong corner), would that have been a win?
It's a draw on all files

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:48 am

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:
Carl Hibbard wrote:
Barry Sandercock wrote:Magnus missed a win at move 56. Now they are on move 95 and it looks like being a very long endgame with Magnus trying to grind out a win, but will probably be a draw unless someone blunders.
Some moves for his ego late on but rather unprofessional from Magnus I feel.
Agree with Carl here. Magnus should never have missed 56.Rc8+, an absolutely trivial win, and it does look very much like he was trying to salvage pride here by playing on. Should also have agreed a draw immediately after the Black king took the right White pawn after the exchange of queen for rook
The game has been annotated Chess Mind with a few comments

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:56 am

Joshua Gibbs wrote: I think he just missed it!
Curiously the chessbase report doesn't mention the double oversight.

http://en.chessbase.com/post/2017-tata- ... -draw-some

It looks like a tactical trick worth remembering if you play those types of Italian position.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:54 am

Mick Norris wrote: The game has been annotated Chess Mind with a few comments
I have a theory. If the World Champion had been looking for a mate, he would have found it easily. Ergo he wasn't looking for a mate. I think what he had been analysing was the move 51...Kf8, when White no longer has the check with the bishop on h5 and then with the rook on f5 as in the game. In this line, White ends up playing something like:

51...Kf8 52.Rxc7 e2 53.Rf5+ Kg8 54.Bd5 e1=Q 55.Rxc6 when there is no perpetual and White is about to win the pinned rook on e6. So when Giri played 51...Ke8 instead, Carlsen was in the mindset to look to win the rook and the game, and so missed the mate completely.

Did Carlsen say anything in interviews after the game? This is the only reasonable explanation I can think of as to why he missed the mate. He was too focused on the 51...Kf8 line and had tried (and failed) to find a mate there (there doesn't appear to be one), so didn't look for one in the 51...Ke8 line.

Does that sound plausible?

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:55 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:Curiously the chessbase report doesn't mention the double oversight.

http://en.chessbase.com/post/2017-tata- ... -draw-some

It looks like a tactical trick worth remembering if you play those types of Italian position.
Neither does the chess.com report, although it does feature Gawain's game

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:56 am

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:
Mick Norris wrote: The game has been annotated Chess Mind with a few comments
I have a theory. If the World Champion had been looking for a mate, he would have found it easily. Ergo he wasn't looking for a mate. I think what he had been analysing was the move 51...Kf8, when White no longer has the check with the bishop on h5 and then with the rook on f5 as in the game. In this line, White ends up playing something like:

51...Kf8 52.Rxc7 e2 53.Rf5+ Kg8 54.Bd5 e1=Q 55.Rxc6 when there is no perpetual and White is about to win the pinned rook on e6. So when Giri played 51...Ke8 instead, Carlsen was in the mindset to look to win the rook and the game, and so missed the mate completely.

Did Carlsen say anything in interviews after the game? This is the only reasonable explanation I can think of as to why he missed the mate. He was too focused on the 51...Kf8 line and had tried (and failed) to find a mate there (there doesn't appear to be one), so didn't look for one in the 51...Ke8 line.

Does that sound plausible?
Yes :)

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:08 am

Christopher Kreuzer wrote: Can anyone with access to the Lomonosov tablebases
I know that tablebases now extend to some seven man groups, but this one?
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:06 pm

The latest refutation of the Najdorf is on view in Lu - Xiong. It's 6.a3 and 7.h3, who knew?
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:25 pm

NickFaulks wrote:The latest refutation of the Najdorf is on view in Lu - Xiong. It's 6.a3 and 7.h3, who knew?
I suppose not everyone likes to play with a hole on d5, but surely the principled reply to all the "time waster" moves is ..e5?

Lu-Xiong has become a Dragon of sorts, so perhaps that's why 7. h3 was played.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:43 pm

Nick Burrows wrote:
Christopher Kreuzer wrote: Can anyone with access to the Lomonosov tablebases say what difference it tends to make which files you have two connected passed pawns on, and if the pawns had been on the a and b files (i.e. not the wrong corner), would that have been a win?
It's a draw on all files
Really? That is slightly surprising tbh.

I'm willing to bet the side with the lone Q quite often loses in practice......
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)