PRO Chess League

The very latest International round up of English news.
Alan Walton

Re: PRO Chess League

Post by Alan Walton » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:30 am

NickFaulks wrote:
Chris Rice wrote: Tragic moment in the Gnomes-Magicians match where Neiksans had auto-promote to Queen on and didn't have time to find how to remove it to go d1=N mate.
Kd2
The position is incorrect, I believe that the black rook was on b2 according to a screen shot seen on the Reykjavik Facebook page

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:10 pm

Chris Rice wrote:
NickFaulks wrote:
Chris Rice wrote: Tragic moment in the Gnomes-Magicians match where Neiksans had auto-promote to Queen on and didn't have time to find how to remove it to go d1=N mate.
Kd2
Apologies R was on b2:

So presumably Black promoted to Q instead - what then?

EDIT: ah yes, f4+ starts a forced winning sequence for White does it - or does it? Do they have anything better than a draw??
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:13 pm

The Reykjavik Puffins, who have three ex-Jutes of Kent players in their side fought out a great 8-8 draw vs Hamburg yesterday in the Central division which went right down to the very last game. Puffins are a delicacy in Iceland and Bjorn Thorfinnsson got Simon Williams to eat one in Reykjavik one year. When Bjorn joined the Jutes he was dubbed immediately as the Puffin Killer. Here's a great report on the match by FM Zibbit aka Ingvar Johannesson aka by his Jutes name of "Igor" because one of the Jutes squad thought he looked like a Gothic villain. https://www.chess.com/news/view/first-r ... ffins-8771

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:25 pm

Presumably the "didn't have time" thing is relevant here; if black can't deliver checkmate quickly, he probably loses on time.

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:31 pm

IM Jack Rudd wrote:Presumably the "didn't have time" thing is relevant here; if black can't deliver checkmate quickly, he probably loses on time.
Black had 29 seconds left to decide whether to dive into the tool bar or cut his losses and hope for the best.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:54 pm

You should be able to turn off auto-promotion in that time. If you have turned it on (is it on by default?), then you would hopefully remember how you did that. Tricky. Did the game continue or was it a draw or was the pawn promoted to queen, or was it a loss on time?

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:13 pm

Chris Rice wrote:
IM Jack Rudd wrote:Presumably the "didn't have time" thing is relevant here; if black can't deliver checkmate quickly, he probably loses on time.
Black had 29 seconds left to decide whether to dive into the tool bar or cut his losses and hope for the best.
Nd1-c3-d1+ is a draw if his time runs too low to do anything else.

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:14 pm

I am not exactly sure how it turned out but here's the incident as it happened with Fiona and Simon getting very excited. It also appeared he did have more than a minute to work out the auto promote so he probably could have changed it if he knew how or hadn't perhaps gone into a complete panic.

https://clips.twitch.tv/chess/HelpfulCatNinjaTroll

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:01 pm

TWIC with all the games
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Keith Arkell

Post by Keith Arkell » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:05 pm

The big bash between the Towers and the Lions is just concluding...

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:39 am

Keith Arkell wrote:The big bash between the Towers and the Lions is just concluding...
In a 12.5 to 3.5 victory for the former

team results

standings

TWIC round 2 games
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Joshua Gibbs

Post by Joshua Gibbs » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:31 pm

A massive shout out to my personal friend JusticeBot who is playing Wesley So tonight 2am UK time

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:41 pm

My debut as an emergency reserve for London Lions didn't go very well but for someone who hasn't played computer chess in about ten years it was an interesting experience.

Joshua Gibbs

Post by Joshua Gibbs » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:42 pm

my friend JusticeBot lost to Wesley So though he was the exchange up at one point.

He beat Nakamura yesterday in blitz i hope he can do well wednesday

Joshua Gibbs

Post by Joshua Gibbs » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:46 pm