Tradewise Gibraltar Masters 2017

The very latest International round up of English news.
NickFaulks

Re: Tradewise Gibraltar Masters 2017

Post by NickFaulks » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:33 pm

Chris Rice wrote:Dorsa Derakshani has now moved federation from Iran to the US
I did suggest at the time that they might not be intending ( or well advised ) to return to Iran. I wonder whether IRI will get the compensation fee.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Brian Towers

Post by Brian Towers » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:13 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
I did suggest at the time that they might not be intending ( or well advised ) to return to Iran. I wonder whether IRI will get the compensation fee.
With Rex Sinquefield's bankroll behind the USCF I don't think that will be a problem. Might also help pay down some of Iran's overdraft with FIDE.
Ah, but I was so much older then. I'm younger than that now.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:42 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
I don't know - I noticed that they were both listed as FID. Her brother still is. So the transfer was FID -> USA rather than IRI -> USA. Is that the chess equivalent of claiming a player off irrevocable waivers?

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:09 pm

No, any compensation fees still need to be paid, but only once.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:18 am

A follow up article on Dorsa Derakshani entitled Chess And The Hijab: Iran's Dorsa Derakhshani Finds Her Way. Including Dorsa's theory on what happened in Gibraltar:

"Dorsa and her brother, Borna, played an international tournament in late January and early February in Gibraltar. A computer decides the matchups, and in the opening round, 14-year-old Borna was paired with grandmaster Alexander Huzman. Borna played the game, but there was one problem. Huzman represents Israel, a fact that the pairings sheet didn’t show. Tournament organizers usually manually manipulate the pairings to avoid these matchups, but for this one, the organizers apparently forgot.

A few weeks after the tournament ended, Mehrdad Pahlevanzadeh announced that Borna was banned from both playing for Iran and entering tournaments inside Iran. In the same press conference, he also banned Dorsa for not wearing a headscarf.

“I didn’t have any problems for myself because I was not living in the country, but somehow I felt that it was very unfair and cruel," says Dorsa. "They should not assume that a 14-year-old would know what’s the right thing to do.”

Dorsa has a theory. She believes the action against her and her brother was a tactic to divert from other news. The announcement came in the middle of the Women’s World Chess Championship, which was being held in Tehran.

Several notable players, including the reigning U.S. women’s champion, boycotted the event because players were required to wear a headscarf. All three Iranian women competing had just been eliminated in the opening round. The federation was also on shaky financial ground with FIDE, the international governing body of chess.

"So in the middle of all this, they needed another distraction. And somebody tipped off the reporters to specially ask about my brother and I, which worked perfectly," Dorsa says. "Everybody started talking about us.”"

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:36 pm

There's an article in today's Times saying that Borna Derakhshani has switched federations to England. It says he is now attending CATS College in Canterbury (a boarding school). There are some comments from Dominic Lawson who the article says he approached requesting a transfer to England.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:54 pm

Ian Thompson wrote: Borna Derakhshani
He's the lad who was banned by the Iranian federation for playing an Israeli in round 1 of Gibraltar. He's the brother of the girl who is now US after not wearing a head covering in Gibraltar and being sanctioned also by the Iranians.

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:03 pm

Ian Thompson wrote:There's an article in today's Times saying that Borna Derakhshani has switched federations to England. It says he is now attending CATS College in Canterbury (a boarding school). There are some comments from Dominic Lawson who the article says he approached requesting a transfer to England.
... and today's Times has another article, this time about Dorsa Derakhshani being banned and switching allegiance to the United States.