FIDE Suspension of Iran

The very latest International round up of English news.
Brian Towers

Re: FIDE Suspension of Iran

Post by Brian Towers » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:38 pm

NickFaulks wrote:Back on the naughty step. In good company though, not just the usual suspects.
Even more fascinating!

60 federations (OK, 59 if you only count Eritrea once) out of about 200 in arrears. 30% in arrears is a lot for any organization. What is going on? Is something rotten in the state of Denmark?
Ah, but I was so much older then. I'm younger than that now.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:43 pm

NickFaulks wrote: To put heat on FIDE to do what?
How long a list do you want?

You could start with dubious changes to the Laws of Chess and continue with the dismissal from office of the life President.

As far as financial sanctions are concerned, withdrawal of invitations to the Olympiad would be as good as any. Another one would be that players linked to suspended Federations were allowed free transfers.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:57 pm

Brian Towers wrote: What is going on? Is something rotten in the state of Denmark?
Do you mean, is FIDE perceived as a soft touch which doesn't enforce its debts? The answer must be yes. The problem is that any effective action will inevitably impinge on the players in those federation, which they are ( perhaps too ) reluctant to do.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:03 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:As far as financial sanctions are concerned, withdrawal of invitations to the Olympiad would be as good as any.
As you must surely know, that is in practice used as the most effective way of getting payment. The trouble is that the next Olympiad is more than twelve months away.
Another one would be that players linked to suspended Federations were allowed free transfers.
Now that is an interesting and original idea. I don't think it would make a huge difference, but I am attracted to it and shall pass it on.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Brian Towers

Post by Brian Towers » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:22 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:That will do wonders for the successful organisation of European tournaments this summer and is as good an argument as any for not abandoning a national rating or grading system.
It will certainly impinge on elite tournaments but doesn't affect tournaments lower down. Such is the opacity of FIDE English that it's not clear to me whether norm events would be affected or not. Are they "events listed and described in detail in different parts of the FIDE Handbook"?

We have:
FIDE Regulations for Registration & Licensing of Players (effective from July 1, 2015) wrote:2.2. Οn the 31st December each year, the Treasurer lists on the FIDE website those countries that are deemed to be over six months in arrears. Until the arrears have been paid off, players from these Federations are not listed on the FIDE website and cannot participate in any FIDE events (as described in 1.13.2 of these regulations). Players representing such Federations are licensed to participate in any other FIDE rated tournament.
and
FIDE Regulations for Registration & Licensing of Players (effective from July 1, 2015) wrote:1.13.2 ...
FIDE events are all competitions under the aegis of a) the World Championship & Olympiad Commission or Events Commission, b) Continental competitions that provide qualifiers to any of the aforesaid competitions, and c) events listed and described in detail in different parts of the FIDE Handbook.
So, "Players representing such Federations are licensed to participate in any other FIDE rated tournament." means it doesn't affect Joe Bloggs.

Also. The "Οn the 31st December each year, the Treasurer lists on the FIDE website those countries that are deemed to be over six months in arrears." suggests that either it has taken 7 months for them to publish the list or alternatively that they think they know what the situation will be in 5 months time and are publishing the 31st December 2017 list 5 months early.
Ah, but I was so much older then. I'm younger than that now.

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:52 pm

Has anything been said about the standard ratings for player whose federations are in arrears.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:54 pm

soheil_hooshdaran wrote:Has anything been said about the standard ratings for player whose federations are in arrears.
They will continue to be calculated, but not published.

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:45 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
soheil_hooshdaran wrote:Has anything been said about the standard ratings for player whose federations are in arrears.
1) Are you sure? Where is it written?

2)Can we register FIDFE-rated tournaments?

3)Let's suppose that Joe (I think that's the most famous name in English and is used instead of an unknown name - equal to Iranian زید/Zeid/, correct me please) is rated 1760 and gets 40 points the next month. Now, for the next month, will his rating to be used in calculations be 1800 or 1760?

4)until Iran pays the debt off?

5)Is it all due to WWCC held in February in Tehran? Isn't the name list supposed to be updated on Dec 31?

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:57 pm

soheil_hooshdaran wrote:
3)Let's suppose that Joe (I think that's the most famous name in English and is used instead of an unknown name - equal to Iranian زید/Zeid/, correct me please)
Joe is not a particularly common name, but it is used as you describe, though only with a surname of "Bloggs" (which is very far from common if it even exists).

So you would say "Let's suppose that Joe Bloggs.."
The name "John Smith" is also used similarly.

We also have a phrase "Any Tom, Dick or Harry" which is really just a way of saying "anyone" and which we might use in a sentence like

"Any Tom, Dick or Harry can learn to play football, but chess is much harder"

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:57 pm

soheil_hooshdaran wrote:
NickFaulks wrote:
1) Are you sure? Where is it written?
From the Financial Regulayions, in the Handbook.

"6.1 A federation that is six months in arrears shall not receive services from the Secretariat"

This is what being a no-service federation has meant in the past.
2)Can we register FIDFE-rated tournaments?
No
3)Let's suppose that Joe (I think that's the most famous name in English and is used instead of an unknown name - equal to Iranian زید/Zeid/, correct me please) is rated 1760 and gets 40 points the next month. Now, for the next month, will his rating to be used in calculations be 1800 or 1760?
4)until Iran pays the debt off?

5)Is it all due to WWCC held in February in Tehran? Isn't the name list supposed to be updated on Dec 31?
You should ask your federation about the nature and scale of their unpaid debts. I do not know why the publication of the list was apparently delayed

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:01 pm

Thanks room. It's a great pleasure that IFDE officials post in this forum

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:29 pm

Our standard ratings are shown back on our FIDE profiles. Fide is really bizzare...

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:44 am

Iran is off the list of federations in arrears. Perhaps they have paid up.

However, it does appear that all other ratings are now also showing. Matters which don't affect the rating system are not my concern, but I cannot expain that.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:43 pm

NickFaulks wrote:Iran is off the list of federations in arrears. Perhaps they have paid up.

However, it does appear that all other ratings are now also showing. Matters which don't affect the rating system are not my concern, but I cannot expain that.
I think that I can explain it.

I remembered yesterday that FIDE adopted a new policy on this subject a couple of years ago.

The link is http://www.fide.com/component/content/a ... rears.html. The key sentence is "[The names of players from Federations in arrears] will still be listed on the FIDE website."

It looks as though FIDE have also remembered that this is now their policy and have restored the names.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:16 pm

David Sedgwick wrote:I remembered yesterday that FIDE adopted a new policy on this subject a couple of years ago.
Thanks, I don't remember ever seeing that, and it doesn't seem to have been reflected in the Financial Regulations.