FIDE Suspension of Iran

The very latest International round up of English news.
NickFaulks

Re: FIDE Suspension of Iran

Post by NickFaulks » Tue May 16, 2017 1:54 pm

IM Jack Rudd wrote:The question has to be asked, I suppose: what happens if a tournament ignores the suspension?
The federations should be checking this and not sending the results in for rating. For those with many rated events, this will be a significant task.

If any offending events do get as far as FIDE, they will be expected to notice - I don't know whether a subroutine needs to be written for that. In that case, the event will not be rated. I hope the Iranians pay up quickly, because this is clearly going to be a terrible nuisance all round.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Tue May 16, 2017 2:25 pm

NickFaulks wrote:If any offending events do get as far as FIDE, they will be expected to notice - I don't know whether a subroutine needs to be written for that. In that case, the event will not be rated. I hope the Iranians pay up quickly, because this is clearly going to be a terrible nuisance all round.
In the past when this has happened, events have been accepted by the server, greeted by a big "Success!" message, only to then find out on the day the event is going to be rated that it isn't going to be rated.

I don't know what provisions are in place, but it'd be better if it didn't let you pass the "Success!" stage with an IRI player in the file.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Tue May 16, 2017 2:36 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote:I don't know what provisions are in place, but it'd be better if it didn't let you pass the "Success!" stage with an IRI player in the file.
Agreed in principle, but in this instance it would also be better if the federation weeded them out.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Wed May 17, 2017 8:21 am

IM Jack Rudd wrote:The question has to be asked, I suppose: what happens if a tournament ignores the suspension?
I think the tournament will be invalid then

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu May 25, 2017 11:16 pm

Just for the record, the June 2017 edition of Malcolm Pein's Chess magazine mentions the suspension of Iran.

The mystery of why the FIDE website published the suspension and then removed the notification remains and isn't commented on.

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:11 pm

Seems like Iran is suspended.I won a few rating points but it's not shown in my profile.

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:16 pm

soheil_hooshdaran wrote:Seems like Iran is suspended.I won a few rating points but it's not shown in my profile.
You can email [email protected] and/or [email protected] who may be able to give you more information.

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:12 pm

Thx

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:01 pm

I emailed them and the answer was to contact the Iran chess federation. But the problem is, can we trust them?

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:33 pm

soheil_hooshdaran wrote:I emailed them and the answer was to contact the Iran chess federation. But the problem is, can we trust them?
It can't do any harm to email the Iranian Chess Federation to ask them when they believe the matter will be resolved. Tell them its affecting your FIDE rating and see what they say. I would conclude though that the fact that FIDE have referred you to them almost certainly indicates that whatever debts they owe have not yet been paid.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:32 am

soheil_hooshdaran wrote:Seems like Iran is suspended.I won a few rating points but it's not shown in my profile.
In your case, which tournaments were affected?

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:52 am

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:33 pm

Yes, thanks to the talks of Mr Kamboozia, the deadline for payment bi IRCF is extended and some rating lists of the previous month is accepted, as the news agency of IRCF says on its Telegran channel.

My rating increase is not yet calculated.

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:12 pm

I thought Iran would be suspended......

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:43 pm

soheil_hooshdaran wrote:I thought Iran would be suspended......
https://www.fide.com/component/content/ ... ifted.html