2018 World Championship in London

The very latest International round up of English news.
Nick Burrows

Re: 2018 World Championship in London

Post by Nick Burrows » Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:44 pm

In the 11th game of their match in 1927 for the world’s championship, Capablanca took two hours on one move, and Alekhine took an hour and three-quarters for his reply.
https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-longe ... tive-chess

Nick Ivell

Post by Nick Ivell » Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:56 pm

Draw. Magnus making no impression so far, and his lack of a 'strong serve' with White is all too apparent.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:04 pm

Nick Ivell wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:56 pm
Draw. Magnus making no impression so far, and his lack of a 'strong serve' with White is all too apparent.
Caruana is no better in that respect thus far.

The fact remains that Carlsen is the only one to have gained real winning chances in the first four games.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:06 pm

Nick Burrows wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:44 pm
In the 11th game of their match in 1927 for the world’s championship, Capablanca took two hours on one move, and Alekhine took an hour and three-quarters for his reply.
https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-longe ... tive-chess
Thanks, though without knowing which moves they were, we're not really there yet...
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:52 pm

Emil Sutovsky, not only the President of the ACP but now also the FIDE General Director, is pondering on FB as to whether it might have been a good idea to have the tie-breaks before the match started. That way it might encourage a bit of ambition from whoever lost the tie-breaks. Interesting idea and one that I can't recall being tried elsewhere.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:02 pm

It has been suggested before (as has doing the same with penalty shoot outs in football)
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Barry Sandercock

Post by Barry Sandercock » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:09 pm

A large number of draws is not unusual in World Championship matches. When Alekhine beat Capablanca 6 wins to 3, there were 25 draws.

Nigel White

Post by Nigel White » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:18 pm

Nigel White wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:00 pm
Mike - thanks for the review. I'm on my way there now and it's useful to know what to expect.
Having now returned, I would echo Mike Gunn's assessment of the venue. In practice, there was little difficulty in getting successive slots in the main playing arena if you wished. So, I spent three-quarters of my time watching the game in the main hall, with the remainder in the commentary room, which was about right for me. That said there seemed a large number of people just watching on the screens located throughout the building.

If you looked beyond the organisers' hoardings (which were everywhere), the fabric of the building itself seemed rather dilapidated.

Joshua Gibbs

Post by Joshua Gibbs » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:46 pm

Chris Rice wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:52 pm
Emil Sutovsky, not only the President of the ACP but now also the FIDE General Director, is pondering on FB as to whether it might have been a good idea to have the tie-breaks before the match started. That way it might encourage a bit of ambition from whoever lost the tie-breaks. Interesting idea and one that I can't recall being tried elsewhere.

I remember GM Jonathan Tisdall saying he thought whoever had the idea of pre match tie breaks was employing "out of the box thinking" some time ago on twitter. It may have been around the time of Carlsen - Karjakin match.

Nick Burrows

Post by Nick Burrows » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:12 pm

JustinHorton wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:06 pm

Thanks, though without knowing which moves they were, we're not really there yet...
In C.N. 6315 Alan O’Brien (Mitcham, England) noted that in another match-game, the 28th, this position arose:

Alekhine played 41 Nef4 and wrote:
‘The text move was sealed and it took me an hour and 50 minutes to consider it, the record length of time for this match.’
http://www.chesshistory.com/winter/extra/time.html

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:12 pm

So is the tie break 6-6 Carlsen wins or is it quickplay, then five minutes?.

I may get the chessboard out on 16th after my eyes retinoscopy at the Hospital 830am. That is if the games have been interesting according to those posting here.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:24 pm

Chris Rice wrote:
Emil Sutovsky, not only the President of the ACP but now also the FIDE General Director
Have I missed an announcement about this new position?
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Tim Harding

Post by Tim Harding » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:33 pm

Nick Grey wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:12 pm
If they reach 6-6 in Classical then there will be a playoff as in the Gelfand v Anand and Carlsen v Karjakin matches.
Four rapid games managed to decide both those contests.

Heaven forbid there would still be no winner and they would go to blitz. Maybe somebody else will post here the full sequence of increasingly fast tiebreak games that could happen.
Tim Harding
Historian and FIDE Arbiter

Author of 'Steinitz in London,' British Chess Literature to 1914', 'Joseph Henry Blackburne: A Chess Biography', and 'Eminent Victorian Chess Players'
http://www.chessmail.com

Joshua Gibbs

Post by Joshua Gibbs » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:44 pm

Tim Harding wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:33 pm
Nick Grey wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:12 pm
Maybe somebody else will post here the full sequence of increasingly fast tiebreak games that could happen.
If the match is tied after 12 games, tie breaks will be played on the final day in the following order, if necessary:

Best of 4 rapid games (25 minutes for each player with an increment of 10 seconds after each move). The player with the best score after four rapid games is the winner; otherwise they proceed to blitz games.
Up to five mini-matches of best of 2 blitz games (5 minutes plus 3 seconds increment after each move). The player with the best score in any two-game blitz match is the winner. If all five two-game matches are tied, an "Armageddon" game is played.
One sudden death "Armageddon" game: White receives 5 minutes and Black receives 4 minutes. Both players receive an increment of 3 seconds starting from move 61. The player who wins the drawing of lots may choose the color. In case of a draw, the player with the black pieces is declared the winner.

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:47 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:24 pm
Chris Rice wrote:
Emil Sutovsky, not only the President of the ACP but now also the FIDE General Director
Have I missed an announcement about this new position?
Nothing official from FIDE yet but if you want something in writing see here which I've also posted on the Repercussions thread. On FB a number of people are referring to him in this capacity now. Think he's enjoying being brought into the new regime. This is what he put on FB regarding the tie-break stuff today:

"That's why couple of years ago I pushed the idea to have a rapid tie-break BEFORE the main part of the match. And then 6-6 will be totally unacceptable for one of the players. But now, being in charge, I can't just promote it without carefully studying all the options. Still, I don't see a reason not to have it this way. What do you think?"
Last edited by Chris Rice on Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.