2018 World Championship in London

The very latest International round up of English news.
Roger de Coverly

Re: 2018 World Championship in London

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:52 pm

Paolo Casaschi wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:36 pm
Consistently, the number of active games is about 1/3 of the number of online players.
A minute or two ago, lichess was hovering around 13,000 games. That's on one of the more popular servers. Perhaps around 100,000 games across all servers then as a top estimate.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:36 pm

Paolo Casaschi wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:36 pm
JustinHorton wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:41 am
Roger de Coverly wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:58 am

75,000 divide by 2, take off a bit for those between games or just watching or browsing.
That was my guess. It might be right, but we can all think of reasons why it might also be wrong.
On lichess, when asking to setup a new game, the server shows the number of online players and of active games.
It occurs to me to ask - what's an "active game"? Does it just include live, continuous games, games, or does it include games where players log off and return to the site when they wish to make a move?
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:30 pm

Thoughts on the match from Svidler
I was surprised, above all, by the score – I expected a lot of blood, and we saw only draws. But of course a great deal depended on the first game, in which Magnus didn’t win a position which in a normal situation he would have won 9 times out of 10, or even more. If he’d won that game the match would have gone entirely differently. Carlsen would have started to play more freely, while Caruana would have been forced to take risks.
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:35 pm

MVL on the match (plus The Clash)
12 games is clearly not enough. I think the number should be raised to 16.
But I see another problem in the many rest days, one of them after every pair of game. It is just not in the spirit of the match. You could see the match dragging on at the end, rest before game 11, then before game 12 because it was the last, and again before the tie-breaks!
Guys, we still have six months to prepare the match ! And the slow pace of the match, in a context where finding new ideas becomes increasingly difficult, kind of annihilates the efforts. Indeed, when you find a new idea, the opponent will have the next day, with colours reversed, then the rest day, all in all almost three days, to have his team working on a response.
In tournaments, there’s generally a rest day every four rounds, and it should be the same for the World Championship match.
Incidentally, I guess it would be better for the public, as well as for the journalists over there, to have a few more games in fewer days!
If things go this way, it would also be logical to speed up the rhythm of play, avoiding 7-hour long games. It’s too long for the audience, but it’s also too long for players to make differences
Any postings on here represent my personal views

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:13 am

Ray and Byron's book is out and Olimpiu has reviewed it. How many active chess players are there in the world, do you think?
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com