2018 World Championship in London

The very latest International round up of English news.
Chris Rice

2018 World Championship in London

Post by Chris Rice » Wed May 24, 2017 1:33 pm

Assuming you can believe anything he says, Kirsan Ilyumzhinov has just told Tass: "I just flew to England today, where I met with businessmen, lawyers who expressed their desire to help hold the match for the title of world champion in London". Japan, South Korea and Singapore have already expressed their desire to hold the match.
Last edited by Chris Rice on Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mick Norris

Re: 2018 World Championship in London?

Post by Mick Norris » Wed May 24, 2017 2:22 pm

I thought it was going to be in Norway
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Wed May 24, 2017 3:34 pm

Mick Norris wrote:I thought it was going to be in Norway
So did I. My impression from the article is that FIDE (or perhaps its just Kirsan, does he have the authority to negotiate given his powers have been stripped?) are trying to create the idea that this is not guaranteed and that there are other challengers out there. It would be interesting to find out, just who, the businessmen and lawyers he refers to, actually are.

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Wed May 24, 2017 3:55 pm

And what's the betting that the ECF know nothing of this?

Nigel Short

Post by Nigel Short » Wed May 24, 2017 8:02 pm

I knew it.

benedgell

Post by benedgell » Thu May 25, 2017 11:00 am

So the interest from London is legitimate?

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Thu May 25, 2017 11:54 am

Couldn't see anything on Kirsan's twitter feed but it did verify that he was in London with photos from the British Chess Academy in the last couple of days. It seems he set up the Kirsan Fund in early May. You'll recall this is linked to his stated aim to have one billion people playing chess. This visit to London was to set up a London office of the Kirsan Fund. Can't see anything related to talking about the 2018 world championships in London though. This guy really gets around London/Moscow/Moldova just in the past few days which no doubt will put more pressure on the FIDE expense budget.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Thu May 25, 2017 12:03 pm

Chris Rice wrote:Couldn't see anything on Kirsan's twitter feed but it did verify that he was in London with photos from the British Chess Academy in the last couple of days. It seems he set up the Kirsan Fund in early May. You'll recall this is linked to his stated aim to have one billion people playing chess. This visit to London was to set up a London office of the Kirsan Fund. Can't see anything related to talking about the 2018 world championships in London though. This guy really gets around London/Moscow/Moldova just in the past few days which no doubt will put more pressure on the FIDE expense budget.
Slightly odd as there isn't a British Chess Academy :? Judging by the sign in the background though he's referring to the UK Chess Academy which is Sainbayar Tserendorj

Angus French

Post by Angus French » Thu May 25, 2017 12:16 pm

Chris Rice wrote:...This guy really gets around London/Moscow/Moldova just in the past few days which no doubt will put more pressure on the FIDE expense budget.
You're sure his travel expenses will be paid by FIDE?

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Thu May 25, 2017 12:20 pm

Chris Rice wrote: This guy really gets around London/Moscow/Moldova just in the past few days which no doubt will put more pressure on the FIDE expense budget.
Kirsan has clearly found a source of money in Russia, where being on the US Treasury blacklist makes you a National Hero. No FIDE expenses here.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Thu May 25, 2017 12:41 pm

LawrenceCooper wrote: Judging by the sign in the background though he's referring to the UK Chess Academy which is Sainbayar Tserendorj
I believe I have posted somewhere that the only federation from which Kirsan can expect any real support is Russia - if not, I have certainly said it privately. I had of course forgotten Mongolia!
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Thu May 25, 2017 1:05 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Chris Rice wrote: This guy really gets around London/Moscow/Moldova just in the past few days which no doubt will put more pressure on the FIDE expense budget.
Kirsan has clearly found a source of money in Russia, where being on the US Treasury blacklist makes you a National Hero. No FIDE expenses here.
From the Treasurer's report and proposed Budget 2017 I note the following on President's travel expenses:

2015 Budget €120K Actual €183,204
2016 Budget €120K
2017 Budget €80K

So it is still clearly the intention of FIDE that he will be paid travel expenses isn't it? On the London visit it appears his real business was setting up this Kirsan Fund office but I'm wondering whether the Tass press release was an attempt to call this official FIDE World Championship business where he could claim expenses. This seems at odds with the Extraordinary Presidential Board decision of 10 April 2017 which includes the statement “Mr. Ilyumzhinov’s decision to withdraw from any legal, financial and business operations of FIDE is to enable him to concentrate on clearing the situation with the US Department of the Treasury." So what exactly was going on yesterday in London?

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Thu May 25, 2017 1:10 pm

Chris Rice wrote: I'm wondering whether the Tass press release was an attempt to call this official FIDE World Championship business where he could claim expenses.
He can claim what he likes, but he won't find anyone to sign the chit.

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Thu May 25, 2017 1:12 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Chris Rice wrote: I'm wondering whether the Tass press release was an attempt to call this official FIDE World Championship business where he could claim expenses.
He can claim what he likes, but he won't find anyone to sign the chit.
Glad to hear it.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu May 25, 2017 2:07 pm

Chris Rice wrote: I'm wondering whether the Tass press release was an attempt to call this official FIDE World Championship business where he could claim expenses. This seems at odds with the Extraordinary Presidential Board decision of 10 April 2017 which includes the statement “Mr. Ilyumzhinov’s decision to withdraw from any legal, financial and business operations of FIDE is to enable him to concentrate on clearing the situation with the US Department of the Treasury." So what exactly was going on yesterday in London?
Quite apart from that, isn't the supposed deal with Agon for the World Championship that it's Agon making the decisions about when and where?