Chess.com Isle Of Man Tournament 23 Sep to 1 Oct 2017

The very latest International round up of English news.
IM Jack Rudd

Re: Chess.com Isle Of Man Tournament 23 Sep to 1 Oct 2017

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:27 pm

Part of the problem with regards to game-chucking is that it isn't entirely clear what powers FIDE actually have.

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:41 pm

IM Jack Rudd wrote:Part of the problem with regards to game-chucking is that it isn't entirely clear what powers FIDE actually have.
Sure - and that’s FIDE’s fault, right? Similarly, what are FIDE’s powers with regard to cheating via computer assistance?

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:50 pm

IM Jack Rudd wrote:Part of the problem with regards to game-chucking is that it isn't entirely clear what powers FIDE actually have.
There's the FIDE Code of Ethics which can be enforced by the Ethics Commission. That's how it's worked in the case of players caught using computer engines during play.

https://www.fide.com/fide/handbook.html ... w=category

in which
The Code of Ethics shall be breached by a person or organization who directly or indirectly
2.1 offers, or attempts to offer or accepts any consideration or bribe with a view of influencing the result in a game of chess or election into FIDE office.
That might be interpreted to cover agreements to share prize money by arranging the most beneficial set of results.

Deliberately losing by playing weak moves might be covered under
Any conduct likely to injure or discredit the reputation of FIDE, its events, organizers, participants, sponsors or that will enhance the goodwill which attaches to the same.
Apart from prize sharing and protest losses, there's also the potential problem of players betting on events where they are taking part and being in a position to influence their personal bets where they have backed someone other than themselves.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:53 pm

Jonathan Bryant wrote: Similarly, what are FIDE’s powers with regard to cheating via computer assistance?
The Presidential Board makes a complaint to the Ethics Commission.

There are several relatively recent cases.
http://ethics.fide.com/
http://ethics.fide.com/images/stories/E ... cision.pdf

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:03 pm

FIDE can issue those bans, sure. I'm not sure how it enforces them. What happens if one of the banned players enters some random FIDE-rated weekender?

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:15 pm

IM Jack Rudd wrote: What happens if one of the banned players enters some random FIDE-rated weekender?
They might expect the organiser to decline the banned player's participation. Otherwise they could only take retrospective action, by sanctions against the organiser or arbiter and by refusing to rate the tournament.

They banned an entire country recently
http://www.chessdom.com/fide-suspended- ... n-of-iran/

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:26 pm

IM Jack Rudd wrote:FIDE can issue those bans, sure. I'm not sure how it enforces them. What happens if one of the banned players enters some random FIDE-rated weekender?
They will get caught, that's the easy part - unless, of course, they present themselves with a different identity.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:38 pm

IFE update:
Vishy seems to have a little nibble and a 20 minute time advantage

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:38 pm

One major problem is that FIDE can make any rules it wants, but then someone in any one of a hundred legal jurisdictions can say "we're not allowed to do that here". Or, more likely, "we're not sure whether we are, so we're not going to take the risk".

For instance, once players have agreed that they may be scanned for illegally concealed electronic devices, I don't see why they shouldn't also be required to agree that, if such an object is found, the arbiters should be allowed to check whether it is running chess software. But apparently you can't do that.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:20 pm

Jonathan Bryant wrote:IFE update:

And now Vishy a pawn up in a rook Endgame

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:57 pm

Jonathan Bryant wrote:
Jonathan Bryant wrote:IFE update:

And now Vishy a pawn up in a rook Endgame

Which he wins.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:39 pm

Good recovery by Vlad since his early disasters, it has to be said.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:38 pm

IM Jack Rudd wrote:If Carlsen and Nakamura agree a short draw, the arbiters might have a word or two with them. There are regulations against that sort of thing.
The arbiter did look a little confused

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:04 pm

What a great tournament even the final round produced notable results and tweets:

Tarjan having beaten a former men's world champions now beats Kosteniuk, a former women's world champion.

Hou Yifan tweets "The pairings in the first half of #IoMchess made me a little bit....well, upset. So I decided to take a bye"

Kramnik tweets "I might be playing in the European Team Championship - I have an agreement..." and also tweets "I didn't play badly, it was just this terrible blunder in the 3rd round"

Anish Giri tweets "Congrats @MagnusCarlsen on your convincing victory in IoM! The positive influence Larsen has on your chess is visible from your games!"

Carlsen "It'll be a long break (before London) which is part of the reason I wanted to come here after getting knocked out of the World Cup"

Carlsen on having his girlfriend with him: "Definitely I was sort of forced to relax because I wasn’t allowed to look at chess all the time"

"I could play the King's Indian but I'm pretty sure Magnus was hoping for that in fact." Nakamura after his draw vs Carlsen.

Gawain on FB "Tough #iomchess 2 2800s, 1 2770perf, 3 GM norms, 1 IM norm, +40 rating among my opponents. Congrats to all+@MagnusCarlsen More work required"

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:38 pm

Agree with Chris. Really enjoyed today - the first day I've been able to watch properly.

After the joy of Anand's IFE turning into a rook ending I then got Sokolov huddling all his pieces in one corner then BN v king to finish off as a bonus.