Grand Chess Tour events: Paris GCT and Leuven, Belgium

The very latest International round up of English news.
NickFaulks

Re: Grand Chess Tour events: Paris GCT and Leuven, Belgium

Post by NickFaulks » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:36 am

Roger de Coverly wrote: If Carlsen punts 1. f4, can he do better than Kramnik? But perhaps the world champion would be more respectful.
I don't believe Botvinnik thought he was being disrespectful when he played the Dutch. What's the difference?
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:48 am

NickFaulks wrote: I don't believe Botvinnik thought he was being disrespectful when he played the Dutch. What's the difference?
Did Botvinnik or any top Soviet play the Bird's?

The story behind Carlsen playing 1. f4 against Kramnik was apparently that Kramnik had said that Larsen wasn't highly regarded as a role model in the former Soviet states.

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:23 am

Kasparov tweets wondering if he's going to have to retire if its turns out to be a disaster.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:08 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Roger de Coverly wrote: If Carlsen punts 1. f4, can he do better than Kramnik? But perhaps the world champion would be more respectful.
I don't believe Botvinnik thought he was being disrespectful when he played the Dutch. What's the difference?
Strange given that the Bird is effectively the Dutch a tempo up, but the latter genuinely seems better regarded.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:41 pm

"Strange given that the Bird is effectively the Dutch a tempo up, but the latter genuinely seems better regarded."

Except black doesn't have to play 1....d5

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:00 pm

Though they *usually* do.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:46 am

True - I used to play 1....e5, and accidentally found a good TN in one line, but then there is the danger of 2.f4 to confuse you.

There was a guy at my work club and another from the home club who habitually played 1.f4, so I got plenty of practice against it.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:05 am

Matt Mackenzie wrote:Though they *usually* do. { reply 1...d5 }
I did wonder myself why Botvinnik never punted 1.f4. Maybe he was worried about the From, probably not. More likely, I felt, he was thinking of independent replies, perhaps Pirc-like, where the positional player may wish his pawn wasn't on f4. Interesting, but just idle speculation.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:06 pm

"I did wonder myself why Botvinnik never punted 1.f4. Maybe he was worried about the From, probably not. More likely, I felt, he was thinking of independent replies, perhaps Pirc-like, where the positional player may wish his pawn wasn't on f4. Interesting, but just idle speculation."

Probably the latter. He played Pirc-like things himself, so might have been wary.

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:29 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:Did Botvinnik or any top Soviet play the Bird's?
I find that era fascinating so I was interested enough to check. Bronstein, of course. But also Smyslov and Kortchnoi.

In view of the Botvinnik speculation, interesting that Ragozin, his second, played 1.f4 several times. So he surely knew about it. But I'm not sure how much of a factor respectability would have been, since Botvinnik was ploughing new territory in lines we now consider respectable. Perhaps not the Dutch though, which was probably in higher regard when Botwinnik was playing it than now.

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:12 pm

I think this discussion needs perhaps to consider the respectability of the various lines of the Dutch, and therefore associated approaches to playing the Bird's.

ie. Classical, Stonewall and Leningrad. Neither the classical nor Stonewall approach have much of a reputation with white, with good reason I think, and was the Leningrad Dutch considered particularly respectable (with either colour) in Botvinnik's time?

Tim Harding

Post by Tim Harding » Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:03 pm

Richard Bates wrote:I think this discussion needs perhaps to consider the respectability of the various lines of the Dutch, and therefore associated approaches to playing the Bird's... was the Leningrad Dutch considered particularly respectable (with either colour) in Botvinnik's time?
For my 1976 Batsford book on the Leningrad Dutch (the first to appear I think) I did an historical introduction, but in those pre-database days I may have missed some anticipations of the opening. The name derives from investigations from about 1936 by masters from Leningrad, especially K. Vinogradov and E. Kuzminikh, later also Korchnoi.

Anticipations of the idea of combing the Dutch with a kingside fianchetto had been seen earlier.

An important early win for Black was the following game where N. Kopylov (later an ICCF IM) defeated Botvinnik (since you're asking) in the 1951 USSR Championship. There followed an article by Vinogradov in Shakhmaty v SSSR 1952. After this C.H.O'D. Alexander sometimes played it.

Tim Harding
Historian and FIDE Arbiter

Author of 'Steinitz in London,' British Chess Literature to 1914', 'Joseph Henry Blackburne: A Chess Biography', and 'Eminent Victorian Chess Players'
http://www.chessmail.com

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:32 pm

According to this article FIDE Ethics Commission to study comeback by Kasparov Kirsan Ilyumzhinov, has claimed that Kasparov must first be cleared to compete. Given that Kasparov was disqualified for two years for alleged corruption and vote buying at the 2013 FIDE Presidential election in Tallinn in Estonia.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:35 pm

Chris Rice wrote:
According to this article FIDE Ethics Commission to study comeback by Kasparov Kirsan Ilyumzhinov, has claimed that Kasparov must first be cleared to compete. Given that Kasparov was disqualified for two years for alleged corruption and vote buying at the 2013 FIDE Presidential election in Tallinn in Estonia.
I guess that FIDE could threaten not to rate the event but not sure what else they could do.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:23 pm

www.insidethegames.biz wrote: Given that Kasparov was disqualified for two years for alleged corruption and vote buying at the 2013 FIDE Presidential election in Tallinn in Estonia.
As the election was in 2014, and in Norway rather than Estonia, the article is rather low on accurate factual reporting.

Neither Kasparov nor Leong were banned from playing.

https://www.chess.com/news/view/fide-et ... leong-8492
Mr Kasparov and Mr Leong are both banned for a period of two (2) years from holding any office or position within FIDE, including its member federations, continental associations or any other affiliated international organisations, as well as participating in any FIDE meeting as delegate, proxy-holder or other representative of a FIDE member.