2017 World Cup 2-27 September, Tbilisi

The very latest International round up of English news.
JustinHorton

Re: 2017 World Cup 2-27 September, Tbilisi

Post by JustinHorton » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:45 am

Mick Norris wrote:ChessMind game analysis of Carlsen-Bu plus Ivanchuk-Kramnik and the wins by So and Aronian
"Either laziness or time pressure" is perhaps a slightly harsh assessment of Bu's 29th.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:48 am

Mike Truran wrote:
So far as I can tell, Azmai is alleged to have used the term "gypsy" to mean "someone who wears short trousers where long ones would be more appropriate".
No doubt the Nazis used a similar definition in an attempt to justify their own actions.

I don't post much any more as you know, but I find your attempt to justify his comments unconscionable. Shame on you.

Thoroughly shameful tweet from New in Chess this morning - citing with approval a comment that was claiming "gypsy" was a neutral term.

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:13 am

A special ChessBase report contains a 5 minute video clip of Azmaiparashvili being interviewed on the Kovalyov matter. Noteworthy is the following:

1. After the discussion between Azmaiparashvili and Kovalyov (and there is an information gap here as nowhere in the accounts I have seen was there any note of where this conversation took place and whether there were any witnesses), Azmaiparashvili thought Kovalyov had gone to change and only later realised that Kovalyov was angry and was not going to turn up, which made Azmai sad.

2. When asked why Kovalyov hadn't been forfeited in previous rounds Azmai confirmed that the organisers/arbiters hadn't noticed Kovalyov's attire but then went on to add that Anand was too much of a gentleman to complain when he perhaps should have done.

3. Kovalyov can still turn up and play the second game, if he chose to do so (one assumes that possibility is long gone). Azmai during this bit of the discussion said "if he's playing some sort of dirty game" which is an interesting turn of phrase.

PeterFarr

Post by PeterFarr » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:24 am

Chris Rice wrote:
2. When asked why Kovalyov hadn't been forfeited in previous rounds Azmai confirmed that the organisers/arbiters hadn't noticed Kovalyov's attire but then went on to add that Anand was too much of a gentleman to complain when he perhaps should have done
How is this remotely credible? We are talking about 4 days of previous play, there were only 64 players in round 2, and the players interact directly with arbiters, at least at the end of the game. One player wearing shorts would stand out like a sore thumb.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:34 am

PeterFarr wrote: How is this remotely credible?
It's reported that it was the Chief Arbiter who first took exception. Particularly with rapid play games to supervise, the arbiter to player ratio may well be higher than a conventional tournament. The arbiters assigned to the earlier games didn't raise any objections. Zurab threatened them with "punishment".

PeterFarr

Post by PeterFarr » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:00 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:
PeterFarr wrote: How is this remotely credible?
It's reported that it was the Chief Arbiter who first took exception. Particularly with rapid play games to supervise, the arbiter to player ratio may well be higher than a conventional tournament. The arbiters assigned to the earlier games didn't raise any objections. Zurab threatened them with "punishment".
That's more plausible, but it doesn't exactly improve the situation, as it simply highlights inconsistency amongst the officials.

Also, if nobody - arbiters, players, spectators or media - apparently noticed or commented on the player's attire in his first 4 playing days, it rather undermines the argument that it was an issue if he was infringing the nebulous dress-code rules anyway. There was plenty of coverage of his defeat of Anand - but did anyone comment on the shorts at the time (?).

Anyway, enough of shorts, nearly time to see if Carlsen can get his act together.

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:16 am

Chris Rice wrote: 2. When asked why Kovalyov hadn't been forfeited in previous rounds Azmai confirmed that the organisers/arbiters hadn't noticed Kovalyov's attire but then went on to add that Anand was too much of a gentleman to complain when he perhaps should have done.

Seem to remember him justifying taking back a move in a tournament game on the grounds that his opponent didn't complain at the time. But perhaps that's my memory playing tricks.

Either way, Azmai not somebody I would consider a reliable source with respect to accounts of incidents in which he's been involved.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:41 am

Seeing the Chess24 report - how is that carpet not distracting?
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:42 am

Jonathan Bryant wrote: Seem to remember him justifying taking back a move in a tournament game on the grounds that his opponent didn't complain at the time. But perhaps that's my memory playing tricks.

Either way, Azmai not somebody I would consider a reliable source with respect to accounts of incidents in which he's been involved.
Here's a link to Serper's report on Azmai's game with Malakhov which I think is the one you refer to.

Jonathan Bryant

Post by Jonathan Bryant » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:01 pm

Yes, that’s it. I remember reading the report on the tournament in New in Chess at the time. I don’t have access to it at the moment, though, so I can’t check exactly what it says.

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:06 pm

Carlsen's loss yesterday was due to Radjabov apparently who tweeted a few minutes ago "Now I will reveal to you all the secret behind my tweet on Carlsen : everytime recently that I wrote he will win,he did not. I have the hope".

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:14 pm

Re. today's game, I'm pretty sure there was a game in the 6 Qc2 b6 annotated in New In Chess a few issues ago.
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

Geoff Chandler

Post by Geoff Chandler » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:17 pm

Gypsy?

I can think of at least 10 popular songs with 'Gypsy' in the title or the lyrics.
The PC mob can hold hands and dance around a L.P. bonfire singing: "We Shall Overcome."

The insect the 'Gypsy Moth' will get swotted with a newspaper. It's now the Romani Moth

Next up and buy a bottle champagne to rename Sir Francis Chichester's Gipsy Moth IV. Just call it the Moth.

No trains will ever stop again at Gypsy Lane railways station (Cleveland) and
house prices will plummet in Gypsy Street in Belfast.

I'm now off with a can of paint to splash out the sign 'Gypsy Brae' which is a few
miles from where I live. Just think what would happen should a child see that sign.
(maybe I'll wait till after the Carlsen game, I don't want to miss that.)

Good Grief.

I'm with Azmaiparashvili on this one. I'm fed up seeing chess players on live games unshaven
and dressed like slobs. Have some respect for your opponent, the sponsors and the game.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:23 pm

Geoff Chandler wrote:Gypsy?
BMC's Land Rover lookalike of the 1950s and 1960 was the Austin Gipsy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austin_Gipsy

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:31 pm

Don't show your ignorance, Geoff.
"Do you play chess?"