2017 World Cup 2-27 September, Tbilisi

The very latest International round up of English news.
Chris Rice

Re: 2017 World Cup 2-27 September, Tbilisi

Post by Chris Rice » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:40 pm

We have an updated summary of where we are with Shortsgate in an article by Chess.com. Frankly there is nothing in the article we didn't already know except in the very last paragraph.

In an interview Chess Federation of Canada President Vlad Drkulec when asked what would be the "ideal resolution" to the entire episode, Drkulec said, "My ideal resolution would be that Anton gets the prize money due to him, a sincere apology from Zurab without equivocation, and a clear expression that this type of situation will never be allowed to happen again. An appropriate wild card seeding into the next world cup for Anton. A censure from FIDE for Zurab for his behavior in this incident. The organizer while being essential is not above the competition and FIDE needs to send a clear message that this is the case. Zurab should refrain from being at the same time an organizer and a member of the appeals committee for any competition. He should also not be addressing a player moments before an important game. He should not threaten any player with retaliation from FIDE. He should not engage in bullying behavior against players or anyone. It is not difficult to find examples of past misconduct by this individual but our ideal outcome does not require the condemnation of Zurab the individual. We need to condemn the actions of Zurab at this tournament which have brought the game of chess into disrepute."

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:58 pm

[quote="Chris Rice"] Frankly there is nothing in the article we didn't already know except in the very last paragraph.

Talking of dress codes, the move to the centre of town appears to have smartened up the ECU President.

http://en.chessbase.com/portals/all/201 ... icials.jpg

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:18 am

Sagar Shah in his ChessBase report reveals how Aronian could have won Game 2 of the final and it certainly wasn't straightforward. As Dennis Monokroussos in his Chess Mind report says "Fortunately for Ding, there was never a stone-cold obvious way for Black to win, especially with only a handful of minutes on the clock (and after hours of play, after weeks of play), and Aronian missed his chances and allowed his indefatigable opponent to escape with a draw."

The critical position is after White played 53 Bg8. Both the ChessBase report and the Chess 24 report concur that Ding's problems started with 30 Ncb3? when Aronian was able to create a passed a-pawn. We are led to believe that Ding had seen this but had miscalculated that his king would be able to get across to stop it in time.

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:10 pm

Profoundly subtle sorts of stuff from Aronian in the opening. I presume there's some inner (computer?!) logic to it all :)

Or maybe he was improvising - Be7 seems a remarkably natural move to make someone stop and think....

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:21 pm

MartinCarpenter wrote:Profoundly subtle sorts of stuff from Aronian in the opening. I presume there's some inner (computer?!) logic to it all :)

Or maybe he was improvising - Be7 seems a remarkably natural move to make someone stop and think....
Drawn in 31 moves.

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:00 pm

Well we're on the verge of possibly the game of the year and it appears the chess world have long since lost interest in the Aronian-Ding match. It's game four and if someone wins it they win the tournament though one gets the feeling that its inevitably going to end up in a tie breaker. Sagar Shah reports on the third game which was pretty unremarkable except for:

"There was an interesting incident which took place after the move 28...bxa5. Ding took the pawn and pressed the clock. While Aronian was thinking for his move, the Chinese GM offered a draw. Naturally disturbed, Aronian told Ding that he cannot offer a draw in his opponent's time. The Chinese player after the game said to ChessBase, "I was not aware about this rule. Henceforth I will be more careful."

This is a bit surprising to me that the top players would not be aware of this simple rule. I am not even sure if it is a rule, but just the fact that you shouldn't disturb your opponent when he is thinking during his time is a good enough reason not to offer a draw when it's not your move. Incidentally another 2750+ GM made the same error during this World Cup and was not aware of this 'rule'."

I'm not sure if I agree with that interpretation. If I'm calculating away and my opponent then interrupts and tells me that in effect he/she is happy with a draw, that's quality information for me to decide on what I'm going to do next. If the person continually does it, that's a different matter.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:08 pm

Chris Rice wrote:I'm not sure if I agree with that interpretation. If I'm calculating away and my opponent then interrupts and tells me that in effect he/she is happy with a draw, that's quality information for me to decide on what I'm going to do next. If the person continually does it, that's a different matter.
True, but the information could/should have been given as they completed their previous move and in their own time.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:09 pm

Chris Rice wrote: I'm not sure if I agree with that interpretation. If I'm calculating away and my opponent then interrupts and tells me that in effect he/she is happy with a draw, that's quality information for me to decide on what I'm going to do next. If the person continually does it, that's a different matter.
The only "official" way to offer a draw is to play your move, offer a draw, press the clock and record the move and draw offer on the scoresheet. Apart from recording the offer, hasn't it been that way ever since Bronstein objected to Botvinnik offering draws whilst it was Bronstein's move?

I've found myself that a long think can sometimes provoke a draw offer. Sometimes it's welcome, even if the offer is illegal, when you are dissatisfied with your position and can see no plausible way of playing for a win.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:17 pm

Chris Rice wrote:Well we're on the verge of possibly the game of the year and it appears the chess world have long since lost interest in the Aronian-Ding match. It's game four and if someone wins it they win the tournament though one gets the feeling that its inevitably going to end up in a tie breaker.
It is a matter of genius to design an event where the semi-finals are more important than the final, and the players are too knackered to play well :wink:
Any postings on here represent my personal views

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:15 pm

Chris Rice wrote:This is a bit surprising to me that the top players would not be aware of this simple rule. I am not even sure if it is a rule
"9.1.2.1 A player wishing to offer a draw shall do so after having made a move on the chessboard and before pressing his clock. An offer at any other time during play is still valid but Article 11.5 must be considered."

I have never liked rules of the form "you must do this, but if you don't... and there is no penalty."

"11.5 It is forbidden to distract or annoy the opponent in any manner whatsoever. This includes unreasonable claims, unreasonable offers of a draw or the introduction of a source of noise into the playing area."

11.5 combined with 9.1.2.1 suggests that there is such a thing as a reasonable offer of a draw made during the opponent's thinking time. In my opinion there isn't.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:20 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Chris Rice wrote:This is a bit surprising to me that the top players would not be aware of this simple rule. I am not even sure if it is a rule
"9.1.2.1 A player wishing to offer a draw shall do so after having made a move on the chessboard and before pressing his clock. An offer at any other time during play is still valid but Article 11.5 must be considered."

I have never liked rules of the form "you must do this, but if you don't... and there is no penalty."

"11.5 It is forbidden to distract or annoy the opponent in any manner whatsoever. This includes unreasonable claims, unreasonable offers of a draw or the introduction of a source of noise into the playing area."

11.5 combined with 9.1.2.1 suggests that there is such a thing as a reasonable offer of a draw made during the opponent's thinking time. In my opinion there isn't.
Possibly if the opponent is absent when you move and then offering the draw as he/she sits down at the board.

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:22 pm

It's not "and there is no penalty", though, is it? It's "this could be considered a penalisable offence under rule 11.5".

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:31 pm

IM Jack Rudd wrote:It's not "and there is no penalty", though, is it? It's "this could be considered a penalisable offence under rule 11.5".
Under the current Laws, it would be difficult to penalise a player who says "this was my first draw offer, the position looks drawn to me, my offer was reasonable".
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:42 pm

Anyone watching the chess? Aronian has a time advantage at move 20
Any postings on here represent my personal views

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:49 pm

And now a pawn. I hope Levon does win this - he's been really significantly on top in most of the games.