2017 World Cup 2-27 September, Tbilisi

The very latest International round up of English news.
LawrenceCooper

Re: 2017 World Cup 2-27 September, Tbilisi

Post by LawrenceCooper » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:29 am

Translation from Emil Sutovsky's Facebook page:

"Kovalyov did not file a formal complaint and did not provide any details of the incident in the fidevskuû ethics commission. The protest and the statement made by the Canadian Federation on this ground were not even considered. The Ethics commission emphasized that the conflict had taken several aspects of the conflict that had been dealt with by fide. At this stage, the case is closed."

"Ковалёв не подал официальную жалобу и не представил никаких деталей инцидента в фидевскую комиссию по этике. Протест и заявление канадской федерации на этом основании даже не рассматривался. Комиссия по этике подчеркнула, что конфликт высветид несколько важнвх аспектов над которыми нажо поработать соответствующим комиссиям ФИДЕ. На данном этапе дело закрыто."

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:34 am

LawrenceCooper wrote:Translation from Emil Sutovsky's Facebook page:

"Kovalyov did not file a formal complaint and did not provide any details of the incident in the fidevskuû ethics commission. The protest and the statement made by the Canadian Federation on this ground were not even considered. The Ethics commission emphasized that the conflict had taken several aspects of the conflict that had been dealt with by fide. At this stage, the case is closed."

"Ковалёв не подал официальную жалобу и не представил никаких деталей инцидента в фидевскую комиссию по этике. Протест и заявление канадской федерации на этом основании даже не рассматривался. Комиссия по этике подчеркнула, что конфликт высветид несколько важнвх аспектов над которыми нажо поработать соответствующим комиссиям ФИДЕ. На данном этапе дело закрыто."
The FIDE statement that has just been published on their website makes the point that the case can't continue without the player especially given that there were virtually no witnesses to what transpired. However, they also say:

"The result is regrettably that the complaint by the CFC, raising important issues of general concern for the better functioning of FIDE, cannot be admitted for want of a prima facie case due a lack of reliable evidence. This is not a decision on the merits of the complaint.

However, it is obvious that the incident between the organiser and player has revealed a number of grey areas in tournament administration and every-one agrees that there is a need for greater regulation on matters such as the dress code for players and officials at different types of events, clarity regarding the responsible persons to enforce such regulations and the appropriate handling of a situation where a player is held to be in violation of the regulations. All of these aspects will receive attention in the meetings of various FIDE Commissions currently taking place here in Antalya."

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:47 am

FIDE Ethics quoted by Chris Rice wrote: "The result is regrettably that the complaint by the CFC, raising important issues of general concern for the better functioning of FIDE, cannot be admitted for want of a prima facie case due a lack of reliable evidence. This is not a decision on the merits of the complaint.
The FIDE Ethics Commission considers itself above the generally low ethical standards that apply to much of FIDE and its decision making. Perhaps it hurt that the player had no faith in the objectivity of the Ethics Commission. After all it's a part of an organisation that saw no problem in having as chair of an Appeals Commission, a leading figure in the organisers and a high placed official of FIDE as well.

Deciding that it didn't have the right to handle the case is a frequent resource by the Ethics Commission to avoid undue controversy.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:35 am

Anton Kovalyov (Facebook page)
5 hrs ·
Update regarding Zurab's incident:
FIDE Ethics commission has declined Canada's complaint (http://www.fide.com/…/10440-fide-ethics ... n-statemen…) which comes as no surprise for me. There are a few points that I would like to clarify:
1. I did indeed give permission to the Canadian chess federation (CFC) to act on my behalf. I never got any paper to sign from anybody.
2. The EC wanted me to testify in Antalya. This is not an option for me since, as a full time University student that lives on a chess scholarship I have other responsibilities.
3. I exchanged some emails and talked on the phone with Canadian delegate Hal Bond, who was trying to convince me and the EC to do a video conference through skype. The EC accepted but stated that it would be "slightly prejudicial" to me.
I was also informed that I would have to answer questions from Zurab.
I refused participating in this circus for the following reasons:
1. "No witnesses". Actually, there were witnesses but they consisted of people working for FIDE and/or the organization of the tournament. When Zurab approached me there were a few arbiters standing nearby, I remember even one of them turning his head when the first thing that Zurab told me was that I will be "punished by FIDE". I believe this arbiter was Delega himself, who was the same arbiter that "told on me" to Zurab as can be confirmed in the following youtube link : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukuxx1RHs3g&t=57s
It must be noted that this contradicts Delega's: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FuqhvA1hVc
2. In the following report: http://en.chessbase.com/post/the-kovalyov-report none of these witnesses working for FIDE and/or the organization of the tournament choose to back me up. Instead they choose to team up with Zurab, for whatever reason. The report focused on opinions regarding my shorts and a short statement by FIDE photographer Maria Emilianova reluctantly admitting what happened while trying to belittle the incident.
3. FIDE supports Zurab's actions. FIDE supports money:
https://www.fide.com/…/10413-letter-fro ... deration-o
even if inappropriate behavior including shouting, threatening and RACISM stands in their way.
4. This is not the first time Zurab stands before the EC. He has been found not guilty before in 2015: http://ethics.fide.com/
5. Points 2 and 3 have, for obvious reasons, made my despise for FIDE stronger than ever. And I can tell you one thing for sure, if I stand before their FIDE ethics commission I will not keep it civil, because this is simply too much.
I would like to thank the CFC and Mr. Bond for their willingness to help me. I am happy with how they reacted to this situation. This did actually made me proud of playing for Canada and I will keep doing so regardless if justice is served. But I should mention that I will not play a single FIDE event again.
So, to sum it up, I know that I'm not the brightest person, but I feel that I'm not stupid enough to testify against FIDE interests at a FIDE court.
Currently I'm quite busy with my studies, but me and my parents will still try to find other more reasonable recourse to have justice served. Hopefully we will find support from Canadian authorities.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:29 pm

LawrenceCooper wrote:FIDE Ethics commission has declined Canada's complaint (http://www.fide.com/…/10440-fide-ethics ... n-statemen…) which comes as no surprise for me.
Anyone here knows that EC were bending over backwards to find a way to hear this case, but were frustrated by the absolute refusal of the complainant to cooperate in any way whatsoever.
I would like to thank the CFC and Mr. Bond for their willingness to help me. I am happy with how they reacted to this situation.
That's all very well, but he is at the same time accusing them of lying when they told EC that they had been unable to obtain his consent to their representing them in this case.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:40 pm

NickFaulks wrote: Anyone here knows that EC were bending over backwards to find a way to hear this case, but were frustrated by the absolute refusal of the complainant to cooperate in any way whatsoever.
Their problem was that the complainant had no trust in anything with "FIDE" in its title. Having been bullied once by Azmai, he evidently had no desire to repeat the experience.

Dismissing an issue on procedural groups is quite a frequent ruse by the EC.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:05 pm

The matter of Zurab being Chief Organixer and also Chairman of the Appeal Committee.

Islington - Evening Stndard Congress 1965-1980 I was Chief Organiser, Chief Arbiter and presumably Chairman of the Appeal Committee
Lloyds Bank Masters 1977-1994 I was Chief Organiser, Chief Arbiter and presumably Chairman of the Appeal Committee
British Championships 1981-1997 I was Chief Organiser and Chairman of the Appeal Committee
Nobody ever comentated on this. Of course, I would have recused myself had there ever been a conflict of interest. There were very few appeals.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:55 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
NickFaulks wrote: Anyone here knows that EC were bending over backwards to find a way to hear this case, but were frustrated by the absolute refusal of the complainant to cooperate in any way whatsoever.
Their problem was that the complainant had no trust in anything with "FIDE" in its title.
Even if he has convinced himself of that, how were EC supposed to have a sensible hearing when the complainant was refusing to have anything to do with them, or to allow his federation to represent him?

He has now also said on Facebook that if he ever does meet Ethics Commission he has no intention of behaving in a civil fashion. How do you deal with such a person? I am starting to wonder whether he is very different from Azmai.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:10 pm

LawrenceCooper wrote:4. This is not the first time Zurab stands before the EC. He has been found not guilty before in 2015: http://ethics.fide.com/
This is unbelievable. Azmai was found not guilty in a vexatious case brought against the ECU by our old friend Danailov, and Kovalyov quotes this as evidence that he and the system are corrupt. With everything this young man writes, my opinion of him keeps going down.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:34 pm

NickFaulks wrote:Azmai was found not guilty in a vexatious case brought against the ECU by our old friend Danailov, and Kovalyov quotes this as evidence that he and the system are corrupt..
It does seem rather sloppy on his part when there is a whole host of information easily available on how Zurab has, time and again, created adverse publicity for himself and chess in general. Whilst he is bringing money into the game though it is unlikely that anyone will have the courage to stand up to him. In fairness, his behaviour in this case is less clear cut (as it is one person's word against another) than the events he has been involved in previously, so i'm not surprised that no one in authority will speak out against him having not done so in the past.