5th Sinquefield Cup 2-12 August 2017

The very latest International round up of English news.
LawrenceCooper
Posts: 5377
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:13 am

Re: 5th Sinquefield Cup 2-12 August 2017

Post by LawrenceCooper » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:09 pm

A quick win for Nepomniachtchi against Nakamura after black blundered the exchange whilst Svidler-So was a draw as was Aronian-Anand.

User avatar
Christopher Kreuzer
Posts: 7597
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:34 am
Location: London

Re: 5th Sinquefield Cup 2-12 August 2017

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:51 pm

The Carlsen-MVL game is insanely complicated.

Paul Cooksey
Posts: 779
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:15 pm

Re: 5th Sinquefield Cup 2-12 August 2017

Post by Paul Cooksey » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:37 am

Insanely complicated, true. But I was still shocked when Carlsen lost control and lost, having slowly outplayed MVL.

User avatar
Matt Mackenzie
Posts: 3585
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:51 pm
Location: Millom, Cumbria

Re: 5th Sinquefield Cup 2-12 August 2017

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:01 pm

From a won game to a lost one in just a few moves, you don't see that from Magnus very often.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Mick Norris
Posts: 8445
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:12 am
Location: Bolton, Greater Manchester

Re: 5th Sinquefield Cup 2-12 August 2017

Post by Mick Norris » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:58 am

Vishy's game worth a look chess.com report and Chess Mind
Any postings on here represent my personal views and should not be taken as representative of the Manchester Chess Federation www.manchesterchess.co.uk

User avatar
Matt Mackenzie
Posts: 3585
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:51 pm
Location: Millom, Cumbria

Re: 5th Sinquefield Cup 2-12 August 2017

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:03 am

God wasn't on Wesley's side this time, evidently.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

LawrenceCooper
Posts: 5377
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:13 am

Re: 5th Sinquefield Cup 2-12 August 2017

Post by LawrenceCooper » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:55 pm

Karjakin-Anand drawn in 30 moves with very little incident. Elsewhere Caruana and Carlsen have promising positions.

LawrenceCooper
Posts: 5377
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:13 am

Re: 5th Sinquefield Cup 2-12 August 2017

Post by LawrenceCooper » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:45 pm

Aronian 1 So 0 & Nepo-Svidler draw.

PeterFarr
Posts: 600
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:20 pm
Location: Horsham, Sussex

Re: 5th Sinquefield Cup 2-12 August 2017

Post by PeterFarr » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:59 pm

Aronian on fire again, how did he conjure that up?

LawrenceCooper
Posts: 5377
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:13 am

Re: 5th Sinquefield Cup 2-12 August 2017

Post by LawrenceCooper » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:13 pm

Caruana-MVL now drawn so just Carlsen-Nakamura left with white having an extra pawn but I suspect a draw.

MartinCarpenter
Posts: 2690
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 10:58 am

Re: 5th Sinquefield Cup 2-12 August 2017

Post by MartinCarpenter » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:18 pm

PeterFarr wrote:Aronian on fire again, how did he conjure that up?
He's a genius when he's on form. It'd be really good to see match with Carlsen I think but goodness knows.

Rf6 (^Rxh6) then meeting h5 with Rh6 followed by Rxh5 is really quite amusing :)

PeterFarr
Posts: 600
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:20 pm
Location: Horsham, Sussex

Re: 5th Sinquefield Cup 2-12 August 2017

Post by PeterFarr » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:22 pm

MartinCarpenter wrote:
PeterFarr wrote:Aronian on fire again, how did he conjure that up?
He's a genius when he's on form. It'd be really good to see match with Carlsen I think but goodness knows.

Rf6 (^Rxh6) then meeting h5 with Rh6 followed by Rxh5 is really quite amusing :)
Yes indeed, to all of that.

User avatar
JustinHorton
Posts: 8273
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:06 am
Location: Somewhere you're not

Re: 5th Sinquefield Cup 2-12 August 2017

Post by JustinHorton » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:13 pm

LawrenceCooper wrote:Caruana-MVL now drawn so just Carlsen-Nakamura left with white having an extra pawn but I suspect a draw.
Carlsen is suppised to have missed a mate on 26 by neglecting to play h5. It is past midnight here so I shall not be seeing if he gets another chance.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

User avatar
Christopher Kreuzer
Posts: 7597
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:34 am
Location: London

Re: 5th Sinquefield Cup 2-12 August 2017

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:06 am

JustinHorton wrote:
LawrenceCooper wrote:Caruana-MVL now drawn so just Carlsen-Nakamura left with white having an extra pawn but I suspect a draw.
Carlsen is suppised to have missed a mate on 26 by neglecting to play h5. It is past midnight here so I shall not be seeing if he gets another chance.
It looks like he won't (get another chance).

The missed opportunity was on move 42 (he also missed 41.Kg5 which was also winning).



Apparently (don't ask me why) 42.h5 was winning, but 42.g5 was not.

Lomonosov 7-man tablebases are online here:

http://tb7.chessok.com/

So after 42.h5 and an exchange of pawn on h5, it is possible to check that.

"You are not logged in as a VIP member" :evil:

"Access to any 7-man position via site is currently available only for VIP-members. This limitation allows to avoid heavy load of the server. Also it is important to note that tablebase hardware support is rather expensive. So creators of the site would like to receive some income to continue to support the server.

To become VIP-member you need access key. The key can be obtained in case of purchasing one of two programs Aquarium or Chess Assistant. The other ways is to pay $20 for this."

OK, fair enough (not that I'll be paying).

(Yeah, I saw the link to the free Android app - ironic)

LawrenceCooper
Posts: 5377
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:13 am

Re: 5th Sinquefield Cup 2-12 August 2017

Post by LawrenceCooper » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:12 am

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:
JustinHorton wrote:
LawrenceCooper wrote:Caruana-MVL now drawn so just Carlsen-Nakamura left with white having an extra pawn but I suspect a draw.
Carlsen is suppised to have missed a mate on 26 by neglecting to play h5. It is past midnight here so I shall not be seeing if he gets another chance.
It looks like he won't (get another chance).

The missed opportunity was on move 42 (he also missed 41.Kg5 which was also winning).



Apparently (don't ask me why) 42.h5 was winning, but 42.g5 was not.

Lomonosov 7-man tablebases are online here:

http://tb7.chessok.com/

So after 42.h5 and an exchange of pawn on h5, it is possible to check that.
Needless to say my comment was posted well before that position arose. 42 g5 does seem very committal as it blocks an entry route for the king but h5 exchanges a pair of pawns which normally helps the defending side.

Post Reply