Squads for European Team Championships

The very latest International round up of English news.
Jonathan Rogers

Re: Squads for European Team Championships

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:00 pm

"something goes right for England!" shocker and the draws on those other boards were duly delivered!

Another win tomorrow and it will have been quite a decent event. Nor would it be a bad one, if we drew against one of the top sides. Note that one can only appreciate such things if one started with a realistic assessment of our chances in the first place.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:00 pm

Ukraine beat Hungary (pity, as I was rooting for Hungary who had been doing so well), and Germany beat the only other team still in the running (Israel), so it will be a final round clash between Ukraine and Azerbaijan for the title. Whatever happened to Armenia?

Anyone want to work out who ends up ahead if Ukraine beat Azerbaijan in round 9 and Russia also win in the last round? Azerbaijan only need to draw, should they be able to do that?

(Actually, I was mis-remembering that Armenia won this event lots of times, they in fact have only won it once, in 1999, and Azerbaijan have won it two times more recently, in 2009 and 2013. Maybe I was thinking of the World Team event?).

Pop quiz question: only three countries outside the Soviet Union or former Soviet states, have ever won this event. All three are from Western Europe. Which three countries are they?

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:07 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:00 pm
Anyone want to work out who ends up ahead if Ukraine beat Azerbaijan in round 9 and Russia also win in the last round? Azerbaijan only need to draw, should they be able to do that?
That's dependent on a number of variables:
(1) The precise result of Ukraine and Azerbaijan (gamepoints come into it)
(2) The number of gamepoints Russia score in their match
(3) The results of all of the matches of teams who they played earlier in the competition

Maybe I'll do a spreadsheet for you when I get home. :P

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:16 pm

Ukraine beat Hungary (pity, as I was rooting for Hungary who had been doing so well), and Germany beat the only other team still in the running (Israel), so it will be a final round clash between Ukraine and Azerbaijan for the title. Whatever happened to Armenia?

(Actually, I was mis-remembering that Armenia won this event lots of times, they in fact have only won it once, in 1999, and Azerbaijan have won it two times more recently, in 2009 and 2013. Maybe I was thinking of the World Team event?).

Pop quiz question: only three countries outside the Soviet Union or former Soviet states, have ever won this event. All three are from Western Europe. Which three countries are they?

It's the Olympiads where the Armenians have excelled (and not at all, the Azeris). Cannot explain that. The Azeris did beat Armenia earlier in this event, despite Aronian beating Shak.

Your pop question: England in 1997, Holland about ten years ago and German about six years ago? In at least two of these cases, in spite of barely concealed tensions between some of the players.

John Moore

Post by John Moore » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:28 pm

"In at least two of these cases, in spite of barely concealed tensions between some of the players".

Well, Mr Rogers, you must share - not for my benefit, but for those who don't know!

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:35 pm

Well, Miles and Short were both in the 1997 team, nuff said - and apparently the German situation was well known to those in the know; even that Dirk guy from New In Chess alluded to it. Gustafsson is said to have joked that they won it because various team members were determined to get a higher personal score than other players in the team whom they disliked intensely!

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:00 pm

Jonathan Rogers wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:35 pm
that Dirk guy from New In Chess alluded
Dogs bark, cats meow, Dirk alludes
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Bryn Hill

Post by Bryn Hill » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:18 pm

No Miles in ‘ 97.

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:23 pm

Thank you for the correction. I should double check more often.

Hmmm, well maybe having disunited teams is not such a recipe for success after all. Although I still wouldn't rule out the possibility of tensions within the English team in 1997...

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:36 pm

Round 9 sees the women finish against Lithuania with top board likely to play a big part in deciding the destination of the board 1 medals: http://chess-results.com/tnr304485.aspx ... =30&wi=984

IM Jack Rudd

Post by IM Jack Rudd » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:45 pm

I see Akshaya is gaining 50 rating points. Her rating graph must look even more absurd than mine.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:55 pm

The open team (currently placed 7th-11th) finish with Hungary.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:38 pm

Jonathan Rogers wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:16 pm
Your pop question: England in 1997, Holland about ten years ago and German about six years ago?
Close enough. Netherlands twice (2001 and 2005) and Germany once (2011).

Bonus questions:

- Which years did the England Open team (twice) and the England Women's team (twice) come third?
- Which year was the tournament held in England, and where?
- Who knew that the event used to be played over 10 boards! :shock:

(The list of players for the years 1957 to 1989 include some rather obscure players - it would be interesting to see a full list of players who played for England in those years, probably on Olimpbase, yes, it is here.)

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:44 pm

Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:38 pm

- Which year was the tournament held in England, and where?
Bath 1973. It was that extremely rare event for chess that attracted more spectators than the venue (Guildhall) could reasonably accommodate. Teams were 8 to play from a squad of 10. The Soviet Union turned up with all the household names. You might pass someone who looked a bit like Petrosian in the street, and realise it was actually him in the flesh.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:06 pm

Batsford book included an interesting interview with Anatoly Karpov, if I recall
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com