Candidates Tournament in Berlin March 2018

The very latest International round up of English news.
Mick Norris

Re: Candidates Tournament in Berlin March 2018

Post by Mick Norris » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:46 am

Chess Mind round 1 report, with game analysis

chess.com
Throughout the day, the official video commentary broadcast was watched by about 300 concurrent viewers. To compare, Wijk aan Zee this year had about 10,000, one of the PRO Chess League Saturday editions had more than 20,000, while Carlsen-Nakamura on 3 January had close to 40,000 maximum concurrent viewers.

Polgar and Pelletier are in fact excellent commentators who deserve a much bigger audience.
Any postings on here represent my personal views

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:29 am

Mick Norris wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:46 am
chess.com
Throughout the day, the official video commentary broadcast was watched by about 300 concurrent viewers.
Including the players?
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:37 am

NickFaulks wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:29 am
Mick Norris wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:46 am
chess.com
Throughout the day, the official video commentary broadcast was watched by about 300 concurrent viewers.
Including the players?
Yes, according to Mamedyarov :shock:

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:32 pm

Segregating the players so that they couldn't immediately see what's happening in the other games is an interesting novelty. Having the spectators view from above is possibly another, although it's been seen before at the Calvia Olympiad. There it was more to do with pressure of space than anything else.

I don't suppose there's any public news on where in London the World Championship match might take place.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:52 pm

TWIC
Candidates tournaments don't have to be cautious with lots of draws, hopefully this sets the tone
Let's hope so (for a start, only 2 players can do a Giri now, and neither seem likely to based on their game yesterday); will be interesting to see if Grischuk - So is peaceful with both players wanting to get off the mark, and presumably Karjakin would be happy to do so too by holding Kramnik

I think a good start for Vlad was more important than for anyone else, though a confident Shak could do some damage; still, 13 rounds to go :)

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:53 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:32 pm
Segregating the players so that they couldn't immediately see what's happening in the other games is an interesting novelty. Having the spectators view from above is possibly another, although it's been seen before at the Calvia Olympiad. There it was more to do with pressure of space than anything else.

I don't suppose there's any public news on where in London the World Championship match might take place.
There's lots of noisy places in London to choose from :lol: maybe St Pancras, Kings Cross or Waterloo would do it

Matt Fletcher

Post by Matt Fletcher » Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:07 pm

Mick Norris wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:53 pm
There's lots of noisy places in London to choose from :lol: maybe St Pancras, Kings Cross or Waterloo would do it
Funny you should mention that - the year I played in it (and presumably other years), the Times Schools final was held in Charing Cross Hotel which backs directly onto the station. The playing room was very hot so they opened the windows which opened onto the station concourse. And of course the time control was basically at the same time as rush hour....

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:21 pm

Mick Norris wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:53 pm
Roger de Coverly wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:32 pm

Also a couple of Surrey League venues I can think of
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Paul Dargan

Post by Paul Dargan » Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:41 pm

On the worldchess site today ...

"While we work on resolving the issue with the moves broadcast, please follow the games live at chessbase.com, chessbomb.com, chess.com, lichess.org or your favorite app. Check back soon for official broadcast."

https://worldchess.com/berlin

normal service resumed!

Paul

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:12 pm

Finally, a Berlin in Berlin, so the Candidates has properly started :)

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:26 pm

Mamedyarov, Shakhriyar - Aronian, Levon ½-½
Kramnik, Vladimir - Karjakin, Sergey ½-½
Ding, Liren - Caruana, Fabiano ½-½
Grischuk, Alexander - So, Wesley 1-0

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:55 am

Peter Doggers with a very lighthearted report on Round 2. The featured game is Grischuk v Wesley So. Afterwards Grischuk said at the press conference after putting his rook on c5:

" I didn't really calculate anything, I said to myself, OK I have all pieces in attack, and Black defends with one bishop. If there is no mate, I just quit chess."

Grischuk finished it off it time trouble but looked nervous so he was asked about that and said:

"It''s bad to be calm, it's a usual question: 'Were you nervous?' And when people ask this, they sort of imply that being nervous is a bad thing. I think this is not the case at all. I mean it's actually very bad to not to be nervous. I mean, it's normal, if you have an important game, time trouble and you're not nervous, it means there is something wrong with you, definitely. It is very bad not to be nervous. For example, yesterday (in Round 1) I was not nervous at all."

Apparently the playing conditions have improved though there is only one working toilet in the building. I'm scheduled to be there for Rounds 12 & 13 so will report back on what conditions are like at the time. It does seem strange that as Agon have organised a number of events that they are still not getting the basics right. A lot of these things should have been checked or guarantees sought before they hired the building. Anyway fingers (and legs I guess) crossed that they get it right as the chess itself looks like its living up to its billing.

Leaderboard after round 2:
1-3 Kramnik, Mamedyarov, Caruana 1.5
4-6 Aronian, Ding,Liren, Grischuk 1
7 Karjakin 0.5
8 So 0

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:57 pm

Chess Mind report on round 2 with game analysis

TWIC round 2 report

Round 3 underway anytime now chess24live with Svidler on commentary :D

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:25 pm

Looks like Kramnik may be the first sole leader, as he has a crushing position against Aronian (move 20).

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:50 pm

Probably a good moment to say that I voted for Kramnik the other day!