Candidates Tournament in Berlin March 2018

The very latest International round up of English news.
Nick Ivell

Re: Candidates Tournament in Berlin March 2018

Post by Nick Ivell » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:53 am

Veering off-topic now this excellent tournament has ended, I was impressed by the standard of English of all the competitors. How is it that English appears to have become the 'lingua franca' of the chess world? I remember when Karpov came to England in 1977 - his English was almost non-existent. He needed an interpreter. Kasparov also struggled with English for many years, if I remember rightly. These days, almost every top player appears to have an excellent command of the language. Can anyone think of a top player who hasn't?

NickFaulks

Re: Candidates Tournament in Berlin March 2018

Post by NickFaulks » Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:10 pm

Chris Wardle wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:27 pm
On a 25-man roster you've got 12 position players and probably your 8th- and 9th-inning guys who need to be prepared to play every day, that's more than half. And the guys who get 4 days off earn it by throwing a baseball really hard 100 times :P
Baseball is by no means the best comparison.

If a barrister loses a difficult case, in which they feel they have been mistreated by the judge and/or might have handled it better, they just get on with the next one. They have little choice, if they wish to earn a living.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.