Candidates Tournament in Berlin March 2018

The very latest International round up of English news.
AustinElliott

Re: Candidates Tournament in Berlin March 2018

Post by AustinElliott » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:01 pm

Tim Harding wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:49 pm
Karjakin has dropped a pawn.
Wow. Wonder what he missed? Surely not Kxh3 g4+! ...? Certainly the sort of thing club players like me miss, but not a super-GM. Or are we putting it down to pressure? Karjakin always seems to have the strongest nerves of any of the top players.

A further thought: if Karjakin looks to be struggling to draw, and Kramnik-Shak looks even, and Grischuk-Caruana is heading for potentially mad time scramble.... would one think Caruana would take a draw? Or would Grischuk play on to try and help Karjakin? [EDIT: Grischuk has traded Qs, which I guess makes the time scramble a less ghastly prospect, but must surely help Caruana hold at least a draw.]

Another thought: Karjakin-Ding to trade all the heavy pieces to a classic 'good' Knight v 'bad' Bishop ending, with the bad Bishop having extra pawns?
Last edited by AustinElliott on Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:03 pm

I still don't think Ding's going to win this tournament but I think he might be the player who's enhanced his reputation the most over its course.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Tim Harding

Post by Tim Harding » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:07 pm

AustinElliott wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:01 pm
Tim Harding wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:49 pm
Karjakin has dropped a pawn.
Wow. Wonder what he missed? Surely not Kxh3 g4+! ...? Certainly the sort of thing club players like me miss, but not a super-GM. Or are we putting it down to pressure? Karjakin always seems to have the strongest nerves of any of the top players.

A further thought: if Karjakin looks to be struggling to draw, and Kramnik-Shak looks even, and Grischuk-Caruana is heading for potentially mad time scramble.... would one think Caruana would take a draw? Or would Grischuk play on to try and help Karjakin?

Another thought: Karjakin-Ding to trade all the heavy pieces to a classic 'good' Knight v 'bad' Bishop ending, with the bad Bishop having extra pawns?
Grischuk's mind is surely on making the time control before thinking about anything else.

Ding has to weigh winning a second pawn against keeping the knight in its box. Very impressive tournament by him - though he did survive a lost game versus Caruana and missed an easy win in another game (against Wesley So?).
Tim Harding
Historian and FIDE Arbiter

Author of 'Steinitz in London,' British Chess Literature to 1914', 'Joseph Henry Blackburne: A Chess Biography', and 'Eminent Victorian Chess Players'
http://www.chessmail.com

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:13 pm

You may be thinking of Grischuk
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:16 pm

benedgell wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:33 pm
I'd be interested in hearing a coach explain to a beginner why Ding putting all of his wns on the same colour as his remaining bishop is a good strategy.
From a practical viewpoint it acts as a glue or super pawn which holds the entire structure together. Whilst there are some positions best avoided, not all Bishop + same colour pawns v Knight are dodgy. The typical Samisch chain of c4, d5, e4, f3 with a Bishop on c2 is one such example.

If nothing else, Ding's play illustrates the practical value of a King's Indian style pile of heavy pieces on the f file.

AustinElliott

Post by AustinElliott » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:21 pm

The good-Knight v bad Bishop ending has duly arrived in Karjakin-Ding.

An interesting point in Grischuk-Caruana is whether Caruana might try ...Nxb4 cbx4 Bxb4 leaving him a pawn phalanx. With Grischuk having to make twenty moves in almost no minutes it would be fun to watch... probably too much of a gamble for the Candidates final round, though?
Last edited by AustinElliott on Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:26 pm

AustinElliott wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:01 pm
Which is what they've reached. White can reduce the deficit to one pawn by playing Kf2-g3xh3 . It may not be not that easy to win for Black to win, given the locked pawn chains.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:30 pm

AustinElliott wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:21 pm

An interesting point in Grischuk-Caruana is whether Caruana might try ...Nxb4 cbx4 Bxb4 leaving him a pawn phalanx. With Grischuk having to make twenty moves in almost no minutes it would be fun to watch... probably too much of a gamble for the Candidates final round, though?
So it proved
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

Chris Goodall

Post by Chris Goodall » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:31 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:26 pm
Which is what they've reached. White can reduce the deficit to one pawn by playing Kf2-g3xh3 . It may not be not that easy to win for Black to win, given the locked pawn chains.

Well as good knights go, that's a terrible knight. Doesn't ...Bd8 just immobilise White completely? Even if the king picks up the h3 pawn, Black just walks his own king to b5 and queens the a-pawn, no?
Donate to Sabrina's fundraiser at https://gofund.me/aeae42c7 to support victims of sexual abuse in the chess world.

Northumberland webmaster, Jesmond CC something-or-other. Views mine. Definitely below the Goodall Line.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:37 pm

Chris Wardle wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:31 pm
Well as good knights go, that's a terrible knight.
Karjakin seems to agree, as he's regrouped with Nd5-e7-f5-g3. That gives Black the d5 break now.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:42 pm

Mamedyarov has just put his foot in it
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

Chris Goodall

Post by Chris Goodall » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:45 pm

Mind I thought Grischuk had 27.Rxd5, so I might not be a world champion yet. Clearly Grischuk saw it was defended by a pawn.
Donate to Sabrina's fundraiser at https://gofund.me/aeae42c7 to support victims of sexual abuse in the chess world.

Northumberland webmaster, Jesmond CC something-or-other. Views mine. Definitely below the Goodall Line.

Tim Harding

Post by Tim Harding » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:48 pm

JustinHorton wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:42 pm
Mamedyarov has just put his foot in it
Comments like that (without a specific move reference) aren't very helpful because the position may have changed by the time anyone reads it.
What precisely do you mean?
Tim Harding

Author of 'Steinitz in London,' British Chess Literature to 1914', 'Joseph Henry Blackburne: A Chess Biography', and 'Eminent Victorian Chess Players'

Tim Harding

Post by Tim Harding » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:49 pm

Caruana's clock is a big worry, what time does he really have left?
Tim Harding

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:56 pm

Tim Harding wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:49 pm
Caruana's clock is a big worry, what time does he really have left?
To answer that we would need to know at what point and what move you were refering to.