European Club Cup 8-14 October, Antalya

The very latest International round up of English news.
Richard Bates

Re: European Club Cup 8-14 October, Antalya

Post by Richard Bates » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:05 pm

Wood Green have often been noted for emphasising a strong "club first" ethic, frowning particularly on the paid recruitment of outside players ;)

Andrew Martin

Post by Andrew Martin » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:23 pm

Yes and when they played in the European Club Cup, that was quite true. I’m glad you pointed it out.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:34 pm

Andrew Martin wrote:Yes and when they played in the European Club Cup, that was quite true. I’m glad you pointed it out.
http://www.olimpbase.org/1992c/1992wglo.html
http://www.olimpbase.org/1992c/1992wglo.html
http://www.olimpbase.org/1996c/1996wglo.html

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:00 pm

Whilst my post was lighthearted, it was hiding a serious point, of which (the current) Wood Green in eg. the London League is just the most extreme example.

The chess world, and particularly the professional chess world, has changed significantly over the last 20-30 years. In the current world I imagine that team chess is an extremely important element of sustaining professional chess on a large scale, providing many full time players (as opposed to coaches, writers etc) with their only source of reliable regular income. The collapse of the Soviet Union and the growth of the game throughout Europe (especially) such that even the smallest countries with little chess tradition are able to churn out super strong GMs makes tournaments an incredibly difficult route to sustaining a career. Quite why sponsors put money into team chess (often individuals for whom there is little potential financial benefit for their "investment") is not clear, but the fact is that they do and I for one think on balance it is a good thing.

The current European Club Cup is no more than a reflection of the leagues throughout Europe which, especially with the concurrent development of cheap reliable air travel, are at the top end are all full of "hired hands". But then does that really matter? The European Club Cup is a highly competitive event at all levels an I've never heard anyone say playing in it is anything other than an extremely enjoyable experience.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:08 am

Here the "alternative view" - I wouldn't currently visit Turkey, Russia (or Kalmykia, which is part of Russia) even if they paid me, which they won't, of course.

Did any of the real European teams, or players, receive any conditions, or did they have to pay for the privilege, I (rhetorically) wonder. There's more to life than chess at any price.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:32 am

Richard Bates wrote: Quite why sponsors put money into team chess (often individuals for whom there is little potential financial benefit for their "investment") is not clear, but the fact is that they do and I for one think on balance it is a good thing
Good question, although there's quite a few things that people spend money on that don't make sense to me

I do agree it is good that they do
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:33 am

Round 3 and the favourites Globus bring out all the big guns today by including Kramnik & Grischuk. Kramnik is playing Black! He can win 4.2 rating points, or lose 0.8 with a draw, and a loss is -5.8.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:37 am

Nice to see wins for 3Cs and White Rose yesterday; harder opponents today

Kramnik black v Wojtaszek today; Grischuk also playing
round 3 pairings

MartinCarpenter

Post by MartinCarpenter » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:10 am

Mick Norris wrote:
Richard Bates wrote: Quite why sponsors put money into team chess (often individuals for whom there is little potential financial benefit for their "investment") is not clear, but the fact is that they do and I for one think on balance it is a good thing
Good question, although there's quite a few things that people spend money on that don't make sense to me

I do agree it is good that they do
Its just like Western people patronising arts & culture isn't it? A reflection of how they think of the game over there.

Andrew Martin

Post by Andrew Martin » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:25 pm

In that case, where does that leave the UK?

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:23 pm

Chris Rice wrote:Kramnik is playing Black! He can win 4.2 rating points, or lose 0.8 with a draw, and a loss is -5.8.
Not seeing a win as an obvious possibility at move 17 live

EDIT draw it was, so another 0.8 rating points gone, although presumably Vlad will be white tomorrow
Last edited by Mick Norris on Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:20 pm

John McKenna wrote:Here the "alternative view" - I wouldn't currently visit Turkey, Russia (or Kalmykia, which is part of Russia)
You're absolutely entitled to your geographical preferences but, since you chose to mention this, why not?
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:09 pm

Nick, yes I chose to mention my "alternative view" due to other views expressed here about the wider nature of this peculiar edition of the competition.

My preferences are geopolitical and the thinking behind them is beyond the scope of this chess thread.

I''ve probably already said more than I should, here, so suffice it to say that while Kirsan may be a borzoi in chess politics he is a poodle in geopolitics and the real big beasts behind him in this case are Mr. P. & Mr. E.

The number of teams participating this year is significantly down on the previous four. While that may not, or may, be primarily due to geopolitics it has probably played some part.

If a future Olympiad was to be hosted by two Dear Mr. Ks would you and your team be raring to go?

Ps - A simple yes/no/unsure would do, anything more might merit a thread elsewhere.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:54 pm

John McKenna wrote:If a future Olympiad was to be hosted by two Dear Mr. Ks would you and your team be raring to go?
I genuinely cannot crack your code, I would answer if I could. Kirsan & Kasparov?
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

John McKenna

Post by John McKenna » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:53 pm

One out of two will have to do.

I'd really rather make my excuses - such matters are better discussed elsewhere after the event has ended - and depart without further comment here.