2017 King Salman World Rapid and Blitz Chess Championships, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, 26-30 December 2017

The very latest International round up of English news.
LawrenceCooper

Re: 2017 King Salman World Rapid and Blitz Chess Championships, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, 26-30 December 2017

Post by LawrenceCooper » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:14 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:10 pm
Chris Rice wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:02 pm
If this article by Itamar Eichner the Diplomatic correspondent for the Israeli, Yedioth Ahronot newspaper, is to be believed then, following discussions with Kirsan Illyumzhinov, 11 applications from Israel chess players are due to be submitted for visas to play in Saudi Arabia. If approved it will be the first time in history that an Israeli team will have openly entered Saudi Arabia. Clearly, combined with allowing women to play without head covering or burkas, the Saudis are attempting to control the narrative and getting the media onside but this would indeed be significant progress if it comes to fruition. However, I would also expect some resistance to these steps from the religious hard liners within the country.
It seems logical to me that the Israelis should apply for visas, if only to call FIDE's bluff if they get rejected. If the visa application succeeds, there's still no obligation for them to actually go to Saudi Arabia if they don't want to. So what do they have to lose?
A good question.

Brian Towers

Re: 2017 King Salman World Rapid and Blitz Chess Championships, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, 26-30 December 2017

Post by Brian Towers » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:04 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:10 pm
Chris Rice wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:02 pm
If this article by Itamar Eichner the Diplomatic correspondent for the Israeli, Yedioth Ahronot newspaper, is to be believed then, following discussions with Kirsan Illyumzhinov, 11 applications from Israel chess players are due to be submitted for visas to play in Saudi Arabia. If approved it will be the first time in history that an Israeli team will have openly entered Saudi Arabia. Clearly, combined with allowing women to play without head covering or burkas, the Saudis are attempting to control the narrative and getting the media onside but this would indeed be significant progress if it comes to fruition. However, I would also expect some resistance to these steps from the religious hard liners within the country.
It seems logical to me that the Israelis should apply for visas, if only to call FIDE's bluff if they get rejected. If the visa application succeeds, there's still no obligation for them to actually go to Saudi Arabia if they don't want to. So what do they have to lose?
If 11 applications really have been made and if they are all accepted then I bet several will go. The double attraction of the prize fund and the fame/notoriety on offer as the first Israelis ever to be welcomed into the KSA will be too much. They will be headline news in Israel.
Ah, but I was so much older then. I'm younger than that now.

Mike Truran

Post by Mike Truran » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:07 pm

So what do they have to lose?
Apart from the cost of the visa itself, maybe also the cost of paying (at least deposits) for the flights and accommodation for which they would probably have to submit receipts as proof of intent as part of the visa application.

Plus, why apply for a visa just to make a political point if you don't intend to play? I doubt most professional chess players would think beyond their next pay day.

And so on and so forth.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:49 pm

Mike Truran wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:07 pm
So what do they have to lose?
Apart from the cost of the visa itself, maybe also the cost of paying (at least deposits) for the flights and accommodation for which they would probably have to submit receipts as proof of intent as part of the visa application
It would for several reasons be daft ( as well as impolite ) to sign up if you didn't intend to play. But if you're a top level professional chess player offered an expenses paid opportunity to play in a tournament with a huge prize fund, why not play?

This isn't like Tripoli, where it was stated explicitly that Jews would be tolerated but unwelcome. Riyadh is doing everything right. This is probably connected with the fact that Saudi Arabia and Israel are making it pretty clear that they regard each other as their most reliable political and military allies in the region.
Last edited by NickFaulks on Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:47 pm

Mike Truran wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:07 pm
Plus, why apply for a visa just to make a political point if you don't intend to play? I doubt most professional chess players would think beyond their next pay day.
I suspect there will be one or two who would want to make the political point.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:20 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:47 pm
Only if they are confident of being turned down, which it seems they won't be.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:49 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:20 pm
Alex Holowczak wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:47 pm
Only if they are confident of being turned down, which it seems they won't be.
"Several Israeli players have submitted the application - notably Gelfand, Rodshtein and I did not apply." is a snippet of a lengthy Sutovsky post today.

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:37 am

Carlsen is in. Sutovsky's been banging on about the top players are all going to boycott the event so I'm keen to see what he's got to say about this. The amount of prize money involved is staggering for a chess event so I'm guessing there will be quite a few players who are willing to suspend their moral indignation for the chance of a really great pay day.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:01 pm

Chris Rice wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:37 am
Carlsen is in. Sutovsky's been banging on about the top players are all going to boycott the event so I'm keen to see what he's got to say about this. The amount of prize money involved is staggering for a chess event so I'm guessing there will be quite a few players who are willing to suspend their moral indignation for the chance of a really great pay day.
Emil Sutovsky
23 hrs ·
Carlsen confirms on his participation in Saudi Arabia. Other top-10 entries include Mamedyarov, Anand and Aronian. It seems like other five-six players from the top-10 decided to skip it - in line with my forecast. FIDE mentions a total of 180+ players (men and women) confirming on their participation. It is too early to analyse this figure, and we shall see the final list of players, which at this point includes for example a number of Israelis, who are very unlikely to make it to Riyadh. Respect to all those who took principled stand, safe journey to all others.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:13 pm

Emil Sutovsky wrote:includes for example a number of Israelis, who are very unlikely to make it to Riyadh.
He hopes!

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:18 pm

Israel ‘expects’ its chess players to make history by playing in Saudi tourney.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/world-che ... e-55221025

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:20 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:18 pm
Israel ‘expects’ its chess players to make history by playing in Saudi tourney.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/world-che ... e-55221025
Emil Sutovsky via Facebook "I expect none of Israeli players to participate. Even if Saudis will issue the visas, that will happen maximally close to the tournament, which will prevent any delegation from Israel to come."

On the other hand: https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/1.825524

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:09 pm

https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/1.825524

"Sutovsky said that, as a matter of principle, the World Rapid and Blitz Championships in Riyadh should be open to all chess players around the world regardless their country of origin."

He's saying that Israeli players should boycott the event because they're not allowed to play in it. What am I missing?

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:15 pm

On a different note, the organisers must insist that all competitors be willing to play against opponents regardless of their nationality. That should be enough to keep the Iranians out.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:36 am