2017 King Salman World Rapid and Blitz Chess Championships, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, 26-30 December 2017

The very latest International round up of English news.
NickFaulks

Re: 2017 King Salman World Rapid and Blitz Chess Championships, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, 26-30 December 2017

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:16 pm

Brian Towers wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:18 am
The winner of the European Schools Girl U7 championships is being denied entry to the World Individual Schools Championships in Sousse, Tunisia because of her nationality.
That sounds like a big story. I have found the following report, as no doubt you have.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/7-year-ol ... s-israeli/

I consider the Times of Israel to be a fairly good source, but still worth checking and I shall do so.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

NickFaulks

Re: 2017 King Salman World Rapid and Blitz Chess Championships, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, 26-30 December 2017

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:39 pm

FIDE is aware of this newspaper story. The young lady came to prominence only two weeks ago and the World Schools is not until April 2019, so it doesn't seem that anyone has even raised the question with the Tunisians. It is assumed that players of all nationalities will be allowed to play and otherwise there will be trouble, as with the judo.

In any case Tunisia, unlike its neighbours and the Arabian states, does routinely give visas on request to Israeli citizens. The problem with the judo seems to have been an unwillingness to allow anyone to compete under the Israeli flag, which is of course still insulting and unacceptable.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:40 pm

The list of decisions taken at the FIDE Presidential Board Meeting refers to Tunisia being interested in hosting the 2024 Olympiad.

If they refuse to allow Israelis to play in the 2019 World School Championships, that is unlikely to help the chances of their bid succeeding.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:09 pm

Mick Norris wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:50 am
NickFaulks wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:40 am
Alex Holowczak wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:04 am
but why aren't the sort of countries who normally bid to host the less financially lucrative FIDE events bidding?
I think you are overlooking the "democratic" appeal of teams from nearly all federations and of varying standards taking part in the Olympiad. I know the popular view in England is that the rubbish little teams are a waste of space and what are they even doing there, but that is not widely shared around the world.
Really? I've never heard anyone expressing that opinion about the Olympiad; I doubt I can remember a dozen people expressing any opinion though, so I doubt there's a popular view
I certainly recall Gazza sneering at the weaker Olympiad teams back in the day.

Though he has doubtless revised his view on this (as with much else)
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:06 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:40 am
I think you are overlooking the "democratic" appeal of teams from nearly all federations and of varying standards taking part in the Olympiad. I know the popular view in England is that the rubbish little teams are a waste of space and what are they even doing there, but that is not widely shared around the world.
Where in England does this view exist?

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:30 am

Whoever becomes FIDE President is going to have to deal with the row between Canada and Saudi Arabia.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ttack.html

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:18 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:30 am
Whoever becomes FIDE President is going to have to deal with the row between Canada and Saudi Arabia.
Why? Kirsan tried to insert himself into an assortment of international disputes and got nothing but grief for it.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:30 pm

Mick Norris>Really? I've never heard anyone expressing that opinion about the Olympiad; I doubt I can remember a dozen people expressing any opinion though, so I doubt there's a popular view<

There was a period when the attitude was 'the more the merrier'. FIDE wanted to boast of the Olympiad being one of the largest sporting events in terms of number of federations. Thus Guernsey, Jersey, Wales, Scotland and England are members of FIDE. Were we to apply for membership now, there would just be the UK. FIDE have a rule, once in, any federation can remain. Thus Hong Kong is still a member.
Then there started to be difficulties with increasing costs, particularly so in 1994. A stop was put on new federations which weren't fully entitled (usually those without UN membership). Applications have been made by Greenland, the Isle of Man, Northern Ireland and a few other areas. Gibraltar have not actually applied, presumably because I told them it was hopeless. Were it not for the political problem with Spain, they could perhaps 'bribe' their way in.
I am with Mick, I doubt many English people have an adverse view of the participation of weaker federations, such as Bermuda, in the Olympiad.
The one time we tried to arrange the European Team Championship in Torquay in 1997, the problem was not the weaker federations; they pay their own way in this event. It was the cost of the accommodation for all the federations that defeated the project.

Brian Towers

Post by Brian Towers » Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:12 pm

Stewart Reuben wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:30 pm
Gibraltar have not actually applied, presumably because I told them it was hopeless. Were it not for the political problem with Spain, they could perhaps 'bribe' their way in.
Tell that to #CleanHands Nigel ;-)
Ah, but I was so much older then. I'm younger than that now.