London Chess Classic 2017

The very latest International round up of English news.
User avatar
Matt Mackenzie
Posts: 3369
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:51 pm
Location: Millom, Cumbria

Re: London Chess Classic 2017

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:12 am

Meanwhile, all the games in the Classic were again drawn.

Which has the usual suspects chuntering on about "draw death" and how Chess960 IS THE FUTURE :roll: :D
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Jonathan Rogers
Posts: 4098
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:26 pm

Re: London Chess Classic 2017

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:50 pm

They might have a better point if they said that only Nakamura's draws have been interesting ...

David Sedgwick
Posts: 4001
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:56 pm
Location: Croydon

Re: London Chess Classic 2017

Post by David Sedgwick » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:42 pm

Tim Harding wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:54 pm
Maybe 6 minutes versus 4 (instead of the old 5) is too much advantage for White in Armageddon?
LawrenceCooper wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:06 pm
Possibly, although it looked like we were going to get a win for white and a win for black until black went astray in the Howell-Sadler game.

For the Armageddon games, Short won the toss and chose Black. Howell won the toss and chose White.

So, on the basis of Lawrence's observation, we nearly had both games won by the player who had lost the toss.

NickFaulks
Posts: 5884
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:28 pm

Re: London Chess Classic 2017

Post by NickFaulks » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:12 pm

London Chess Classic Press Officer wrote:"The next stage of both matches was a single Armageddon game, with White having 6 minutes to Black’s 4, with 2 second increments, but only from move 61 onwards. The snag in one of the games proved to be getting to move 61 and indeed, knowing if and when you had got there since the clocks didn’t have counters."
That doesn't sound ideal. For once, I think I would like the arbiters to get involved and bang a gong or something at move 60, rather like signalling the last lap in athletics.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face — forever.

David Sedgwick
Posts: 4001
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:56 pm
Location: Croydon

Re: London Chess Classic 2017

Post by David Sedgwick » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:21 pm

London Chess Classic Press Officer wrote:"The next stage of both matches was a single Armageddon game, with White having 6 minutes to Black’s 4, with 2 second increments, but only from move 61 onwards. The snag in one of the games proved to be getting to move 61 and indeed, knowing if and when you had got there since the clocks didn’t have counters."
NickFaulks wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:12 pm
That doesn't sound ideal. For once, I think I would like the arbiters to get involved and bang a gong or something at move 60, rather like signalling the last lap in athletics.

If the reference is to Howell v Sadler, I did endeavour to give a more discreet signal. However, the players were concentrating so hard that they probably didn't notice.
Last edited by David Sedgwick on Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brian Towers
Posts: 1254
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:23 pm

Re: London Chess Classic 2017

Post by Brian Towers » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:30 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:12 pm
London Chess Classic Press Officer wrote:"The next stage of both matches was a single Armageddon game, with White having 6 minutes to Black’s 4, with 2 second increments, but only from move 61 onwards. The snag in one of the games proved to be getting to move 61 and indeed, knowing if and when you had got there since the clocks didn’t have counters."
That doesn't sound ideal. For once, I think I would like the arbiters to get involved and bang a gong or something at move 60, rather like signalling the last lap in athletics.
One simple solution for the players to know if the increments have started yet is to look at the clock when they press it and see if the seconds display increases. I suspect they are clever enough to have already worked this out.
Ah, but I was so much older then. I'm younger than that now.

LawrenceCooper
Posts: 5317
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:13 am

Re: London Chess Classic 2017

Post by LawrenceCooper » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:55 pm

Brian Towers wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:30 pm
NickFaulks wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:12 pm
London Chess Classic Press Officer wrote:"The next stage of both matches was a single Armageddon game, with White having 6 minutes to Black’s 4, with 2 second increments, but only from move 61 onwards. The snag in one of the games proved to be getting to move 61 and indeed, knowing if and when you had got there since the clocks didn’t have counters."
That doesn't sound ideal. For once, I think I would like the arbiters to get involved and bang a gong or something at move 60, rather like signalling the last lap in athletics.
One simple solution for the players to know if the increments have started yet is to look at the clock when they press it and see if the seconds display increases. I suspect they are clever enough to have already worked this out.
Easier said than done when you are moving instantly :roll:

User avatar
Carl Hibbard
Posts: 5850
Joined: Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:05 pm
Location: Evesham

Re: London Chess Classic 2017

Post by Carl Hibbard » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:00 pm

Not a good advert the classic today.
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Barry Sandercock
Posts: 1356
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:52 am

Re: London Chess Classic 2017

Post by Barry Sandercock » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:14 pm

All games in the first 3 rounds drawn. I suppose this is what happens when the worlds top players are playing each other !?

Brian Towers
Posts: 1254
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:23 pm

Re: London Chess Classic 2017

Post by Brian Towers » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:20 pm

This chap has a great sense of humour - https://twitter.com/anishgiri/status/937774307509403650.
Ah, but I was so much older then. I'm younger than that now.

User avatar
JustinHorton
Posts: 7794
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:06 am
Location: Somewhere you're not

Re: London Chess Classic 2017

Post by JustinHorton » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:49 pm

Still, Aronian-Karjakin should have ended rather differently.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

User avatar
Matt Mackenzie
Posts: 3369
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:51 pm
Location: Millom, Cumbria

Re: London Chess Classic 2017

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:03 pm

Barry Sandercock wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:14 pm
All games in the first 3 rounds drawn. I suppose this is what happens when the worlds top players are playing each other !?
Except that it doesn't normally, even in the most "super" super tournaments.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Barry Sandercock
Posts: 1356
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:52 am

Re: London Chess Classic 2017

Post by Barry Sandercock » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:25 am

Justin Horton wrote:
Still, Aronian- Karjakin should have ended rather differently.

Yes, I'm surprised Karjakin didn't play on. But ,of course it's easier when one has the computer assessments to look at.

Jonathan Rogers
Posts: 4098
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:26 pm

Re: London Chess Classic 2017

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:54 am

For better or worse, this is the price one pays when one decides to join the Classic with other elite events, thus forcing them to have nine elite players (and a wildcard who will need to be pretty elite himself). The risk of more or less correct draws, where the skill lies hidden in the opening preparation and the anticipation of danger which the rest of never get to see, certainly increases. Plus, as Yermo says on chessbase, the psychological aspects; everyone is happy to draw with black, and may find it difficult to switch even if White does overpress.

It isn't just this year. I am struggling to remember a good game from last year's event too. But I can still name several memorable games from the first four years of the event where the greater number of English players (not to mention the participation of Kramnik) really mixed things up.

But it's a choice. On the other hand they do have their elite event which is part of a series. Pros and cons and all of that.

Mick Norris
Posts: 8196
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:12 am
Location: Bolton, Greater Manchester

Re: London Chess Classic 2017

Post by Mick Norris » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:58 am

I imagine it is more cautious than usual as some of the players will have their eye on the Candidates

Magnus isn't playing as well as he used to do at the moment, so will be drawing games where he used to manage to convert very small advantages into pressure and then wins
Any postings on here represent my personal views and should not be taken as representative of the Manchester Chess Federation www.manchesterchess.co.uk

Post Reply