Shiraz cup, Shiraz, Iran, 11-18 April 2018

The very latest International round up of English news.
Chris Goodall

Re: Shiraz cup, Shiraz, Iran, 11-18 April 2018

Post by Chris Goodall » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:10 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:49 pm
soheil_hooshdaran wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:23 pm
Yes some, I I said you need to check if Britain is included.
Indeed, Soheil, you have said nothing that is untrue.
You can defraud by knowing important facts and omitting them. You can defraud by being deliberately ignorant of facts that you would reasonably be expected to know. You don't have to say anything untrue.
Donate to Sabrina's fundraiser at https://gofund.me/aeae42c7 to support victims of sexual abuse in the chess world.

Northumberland webmaster, Jesmond CC something-or-other. Views mine. Definitely below the Goodall Line.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:03 am

Chris Wardle wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:10 pm
NickFaulks wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:49 pm
soheil_hooshdaran wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:23 pm
Yes some, I I said you need to check if Britain is included.
Indeed, Soheil, you have said nothing that is untrue.
You can defraud by knowing important facts and omitting them. You can defraud by being deliberately ignorant of facts that you would reasonably be expected to know. You don't have to say anything untrue.
I think you have made your point on this one now Chris.
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

Paul Dargan

Post by Paul Dargan » Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:56 am

If anyone wants to play in Iran drop me a line. I'm friends with the president of their federation, and he'll sort any visa/accommodation issues. They do seem keen to have foreigners play in events (preumeably to get over the #countries threshold) for norms, etc.

Paul

Chris Goodall

Post by Chris Goodall » Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:31 pm

Can you clear up for us whether the federation was terribly misrepresented, and was in fact following a direct order from the Guardian Council in banning Dorsa?

Can you also tell us, if we're to believe your friend when he says he can magic up visas for us at 10 days' notice because they're so keen to attract foreigners, why there's no trace of this event (or seemingly, any future events at all) on the English version of the federation's website?
Donate to Sabrina's fundraiser at https://gofund.me/aeae42c7 to support victims of sexual abuse in the chess world.

Northumberland webmaster, Jesmond CC something-or-other. Views mine. Definitely below the Goodall Line.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:01 pm

Chris Wardle wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:31 pm
Can you also tell us, if we're to believe your friend when he says he can magic up visas for us at 10 days' notice because they're so keen to attract foreigners, why there's no trace of this event (or seemingly, any future events at all) on the English version of the federation's website?
I don't know what Iran's policy on that sort of thing is, but maybe they only publish official tournaments, rather than third-party tournaments?

If you want some sort of assurance that the tournament is going ahead, then just look up the list of registered tournaments on the FIDE website.

https://ratings.fide.com/tournament_list.phtml

Choose Iran, and you can find this: https://ratings.fide.com/tournament_det ... ent=183873

The Chief Arbiter seems to have been involved with a number of events in Fars, where this is being played. So there seem to be no reason to suspect its integrity.

Chris Goodall

Post by Chris Goodall » Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:06 pm

Oh, I don't doubt that some Iranians are organising a tournament in Iran. What I don't believe is that those Iranians should be trusted when they say "sure it'll be grand, just turn up at the airport". Not because I distrust Iranians in general, but because these particular Iranians seem not to have taken foreign entrants into account in any way.

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:18 pm

Chris Goodall wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:06 pm
Oh, I don't doubt that some Iranians are organising a tournament in Iran. What I don't believe is that those Iranians should be trusted when they say "sure it'll be grand, just turn up at the airport".
W@ho said that??