GRENKE Chess Classic 2018

The very latest International round up of English news.
Chris Rice

Re: GRENKE Chess Classic 2018

Post by Chris Rice » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:11 pm

Caruana beats Vitiugov, wins his second big tournament in a row, finishes a point clear of the World Champion. Carlsen has to see him as a threat now?

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:22 pm

Chris Rice wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:11 pm
Caruana beats Vitiugov, wins his second big tournament in a row, finishes a point clear of the World Champion. Carlsen has to see him as a threat now?
I'm sure he already did but it may be a timely reminder. It may also motivate him to have such an opponent.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:06 am

Impressive from Caruana, who must have been tired after the Candidates; he moves back up to number 2 in the live ratings prior to the US Championship which is 18-30 April

Busy month: Carlsen plays 18-28 April at Gashimov Memorial with Shak, Ding, Vlad, Giri, Karjakin, Topalov, Radjabov, Mamedov
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:16 am

Impressive indeed, Peter Doggers gives a few quotes from Caruana is his article after the last round yesterday to show that Caruana hasn't got carried away and was quite objective about what happened at the Grenke Classic.

"I wasn't really thinking about winning the tournament but I kept getting chances and I took them."

“I took the Candidates’ very seriously; we did a lot of work, and I think that the work and the form that I was in before, that kind of carried over here even though I was not really very fresh. I was still more or less calculating well. I was very impatient in a few games, which led to some careless moves but that was where the luck came in and my careless moves didn’t sort of doom me to any losses.”

"My energy was pretty low throughout the event," Caruana told Chess.com. "Especially at the end, I didn't really have any energy, I was just gonna coast, but I kept having winning chances!"

"I can't say I played exceptionally well but I played pretty confident chess and when I had chances, I generally took them. Coupled with some luck, it was enough. I can't say I did anything extraordinary but still, winning two games as Black at the end is also something that happens very rarely. I did probably a lot of things pretty well but I have a feeling that my quality in the Candidates' was just much higher."

Jonathan Rogers

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:59 pm

All very good: admirably objective and only the objective can defeat Carlsen.

But that is Caruana. Rex S is both an opportunist and an optimist and would probably have taken over the World Ch match already if only he knew exactly who has the power and influence in FIDE right now.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:45 pm

Jonathan Rogers wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:59 pm
Rex S is both an opportunist and an optimist and would probably have taken over the World Ch match already if only he knew exactly who has the power and influence in FIDE right now.
I would imagine that he knows that as well as everyone else - except that he does have a history of being a bit out of touch with reality.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:52 pm

Fascinating few minutes during the commentary when Peter Leko started talking about when Bobby Fischer stayed with him in Hungary during 1998-99 just before Fischer went to Japan.

Nick Ivell

Post by Nick Ivell » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:48 pm

Jan!!!

Curacao was not 1958. It was 1962.

On a point of pedantry. For those of us brought up on Bobby's games, the cities of his tournaments have an almost magical ring.