Which Candidate Should the ECF Support in the FIDE Presidential Election?

The very latest International round up of English news.

Which Candidate Should the ECF Support in the FIDE Presidential Election?

Poll ended at Tue May 08, 2018 10:47 pm

Kirsan Ilyumzhinov
2%
Georgios Makropoulos
14%
Nigel Short
59%
None of the Above
25%

Total votes: 56

Chris Rice

Re: Which Candidate Should the ECF Support in the FIDE Presidential Election?

Post by Chris Rice » Thu May 10, 2018 11:30 pm

Very much applaud Nigel Short's response to the FIDE Treasurer's letter of May 9, 2018.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Fri May 11, 2018 6:17 am

Nick Grey wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 9:54 pm
When is the election?
Wednesday 3rd October 2018

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Fri May 11, 2018 6:28 am

Michael Farthing wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 6:23 pm
Oh! I've just discovered you can change your vote on these polls!
Not necessarily, Michael.

When I started this thread and created the poll, I found out that the creator has the option to allow or disallow the changing of votes.
David Sedgwick wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 10:47 pm
I have allowed people to change their votes, as they may wish to do so when the tickets are announced.
However, at least one person (besides Michael) has changed his or her vote already. Shortly after the start, the number of votes for "None of the Above" stood at 6 for a day or so and then dropped to 5.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Fri May 11, 2018 7:32 am

"Very much applaud Nigel Short's response to the FIDE Treasurer's letter of May 9, 2018."

I wonder when (if) we can expect a reply.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Fri May 11, 2018 8:57 am

Did he ever reply to this one?
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Fri May 11, 2018 9:22 am

There was also the question of the simul tour for which the promised accounts never materialised.
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Fri May 11, 2018 9:49 am

I'm wondering who has voted for Kirsan. Not that we will probably ever know. I also wonder what a survey of other forums and federations would indicate (with the usual caveats about sample size and sampling biases)?

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Fri May 11, 2018 9:50 am

Despite Justin's admirable campaign, opinions expressed on this poll are so far running 19-2 for Nigel against Malcolm. The weaknesses of such polls do not need to be rehearsed here but nonetheless, it this is even remotely reflective of a general feeling among ECF members, it is hard to see how the Board can ignore it.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Fri May 11, 2018 10:00 am

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 9:49 am
I'm wondering who has voted for Kirsan.
It is certainly easy to feel sympathy for Kirsan. He has done a great deal for chess ( saving FIDE from bankruptcy, for a start ) and has suffered grievous mistreatment at the hands of the US Treasury. For all that, it is clear to me that FIDE now cannot survive with him at its head and he should have accepted this and resigned. I can see how someone else might still set personal feelings above this, particularly if they are not well disposed towards the other candidates.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Fri May 11, 2018 10:45 am

NickFaulks wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 9:50 am
Despite Justin's admirable campaign, opinions expressed on this poll are so far running 19-2 for Nigel against Malcolm. The weaknesses of such polls do not need to be rehearsed here but nonetheless, it this is even remotely reflective of a general feeling among ECF members, it is hard to see how the Board can ignore it.
Not sure that's really accurate, a number of us are waiting for Malcolm to formally declare what he's doing, if anything at all, with regard to this election. Malcolm may well be wondering whether he should be standing in Nigel's way if he's going for President.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Fri May 11, 2018 11:01 am

Well people who stand in Nigel's way usually get a mouthful of abuse for it, but this would be a mouthful worth putting up with.
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Fri May 11, 2018 11:11 am

JustinHorton wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 11:01 am
Well people who stand in Nigel's way usually get a mouthful of abuse for it, but this would be a mouthful worth putting up with.
In any case, one of Malcolm's most notable traits is that he is completely oblivious to criticism, abusive or otherwise and justified or otherwise. If anything deters him from his stated desire for an important role in Makro's team, it won't be that.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri May 11, 2018 11:18 am

JustinHorton wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 11:01 am
You want a continued Kirsan Presidency then?

Makro and cronies have had many years of opportunity to distance themselves from Kirsan and and don't think Malcolm should coerce the ECF into supporting their ticket, whatever his personal ambitions might be.

It's a potential constitutional crisis for the ECF. I would imagine that notwithstanding the Nigel haters, it would cause an outrage if the ECF Directors decline to support Nigel. Equally the haters may put up a considerable fuss if they do. As to what happens if there's a potential fight between a Board majority and the FIDE Delegate, it was specifically accepted in the Pearce Report aftermath that the FIDE Delegate would be directly elected by Council. In this case, rather than the Paulson one, Council might be expected to favour the Board against the FIDE Delegate if the Board majority was in favour of Nigel and the FIDE Delegate opposed.

There is a caveat to all this. If Nigel seriously proposes to destroy chess theory by making stalemate a win, all support should be withdrawn.

In terms of potential Council support, there was at least one contested election for the FIDE Delegate post which was seen as Nigel v FIDE insider/apologist.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Fri May 11, 2018 11:22 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 11:18 am

You want a continued Kirsan Presidency then?
You may remember Roger that this line of attack was notably unsuccessful last time round and it's not likely to cut any more ice this time.
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Fri May 11, 2018 11:35 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 11:18 am
There is a caveat to all this. If Nigel seriously proposes to destroy chess theory by making stalemate a win, all support should be withdrawn.
This is a red herring. If you think there is any chance that he could push this through as FIDE President, you are seriously misguided as to the power of that position.