Which Candidate Should the ECF Support in the FIDE Presidential Election?

The very latest International round up of English news.

Which Candidate Should the ECF Support in the FIDE Presidential Election?

Poll ended at Tue May 08, 2018 10:47 pm

Kirsan Ilyumzhinov
2%
Georgios Makropoulos
14%
Nigel Short
59%
None of the Above
25%

Total votes: 56

Mick Norris

Re: Which Candidate Should the ECF Support in the FIDE Presidential Election?

Post by Mick Norris » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:58 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:24 am
Seems like the fourth candidate is now announced.

https://www.chess.com/news/view/dvorkov ... -president
He's at England v Tunisia this evening along with Sol Campbell and Arsene Wenger
Any postings on here represent my personal views

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:02 pm

David Sedgwick wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:26 pm
Indeed she does. Some of us remember all too well her time as editor of Chess Moves, then the BCF's official newsletter, in the late 1990s.
I have large differences with Sarah's views and her approach, but she's never had the habit of overlooking things that are convenient to overlook, and that's not very English chess.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:12 pm

Some of that got played out in public in the pages of ChessMoves (I have recently been sorting through a load of old papers and that was one of the things that caught my eye). Future researchers will probably use some of that material. (Hurst, Reuben, et al.)

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:08 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:12 pm
Some of that got played out in public in the pages of ChessMoves
For those who weren't around or don't remember, she was campaigning for a boycott of the 1998 Olympiad in Kalmykia. The players in the England teams including Nigel, were not impressed. There was a row as well about whether she should have been using the pages of the in-house magazine (ChessMoves) to promote her agenda. She was editor at the time.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:31 am

Nigel Short wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:13 am
My interview with Chessbase https://en.chessbase.com/post/nigel-sho ... ew#discuss
"Short has travelled to around 120 countries in the world and says he has seen the effect of rating fees in discouraging tournament organisers from rating their events, to the detriment of players. He relates a recent example of a tournament room in Nigeria bursting into spontaneous applause when it was unexpectedly announced that a blitz tournament would be rated."

Should somebody tell him that there are no rating fees for blitz tournaments?

edit : most African federations benefit from an exemption from rating fees up to a certain level. I would be surprised if Nigeria pays them at all.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:23 am

It sounds as though Nigel and I may at least be in agreement on Gold membership.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:48 am

NickFaulks wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:31 am
I don't suppose he looks at the tail of FIDE rating list very often, but there don't appear to be 650,000 FIDE rated players. Counting active players with ratings only, it's about a quarter of that. It doubles if you include inactive players, but I doubt there's another 300,000 on the list but without ratings. Perhaps there are, how would you check?

(My method was to check the ranking of players with ratings just above 1000)

Still even 650,000 is a long way below the Kirsan and Agon claim of around 650,000,000 players.

But what he says about FIDE being a rent collecting agency applies equally to almost all national federations including the ECF.

Brian Towers

Post by Brian Towers » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:44 pm

Nigel Short wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:13 am
My interview with Chessbase https://en.chessbase.com/post/nigel-sho ... ew#discuss
For those of us who sometimes like to listen rather than read, the full interview with Macauley Peterson is available from the Perpetual Chess Podcast here.
Ah, but I was so much older then. I'm younger than that now.

Brian Towers

Post by Brian Towers » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:58 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:48 am
NickFaulks wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:31 am
I don't suppose he looks at the tail of FIDE rating list very often, but there don't appear to be 650,000 FIDE rated players. Counting active players with ratings only, it's about a quarter of that. It doubles if you include inactive players, but I doubt there's another 300,000 on the list but without ratings. Perhaps there are, how would you check?
If you were an arbiter the easy way would be to open your copy of Swiss Manager, then menu item "Rating Lists" select option "Update FIDE Rating Lists/Update FIDE Standard Rating List", click on "Start Import". It chugs for a while then a notepad window appears (which most arbiters if they're like me auto-close provided there is no error message) which says "Records-Input 780962
Records-Output 780962". So, Nigel underestimated by about 130,000.

Of course you could download the trial version and do that (but why would you?).
Alternatively go to https://ratings.fide.com/download.phtml and download the full list of players in text format - http://ratings.fide.com/download/players_list.zip. Unzip the file, load the file into your favourite text editor and see how many lines (players) there are in the file.
No I haven't double checked.

PS FIDE does cull the dead (if such a thing is possible) but it can take a year or two so, yes, there is some over counting since I don't think playing via a medium is catered for in the FIDE Laws of Chess.
Ah, but I was so much older then. I'm younger than that now.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:16 pm

Brian Towers wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:58 pm
"Records-Input 780962
Records-Output 780962". So, Nigel underestimated by about 130,000.
That's players registered with FIDE at some time in the past. It isn't the same as the number with ratings playing actively. But perhaps he's right, that there's an opportunity for commercial sponsorship. I'd imagine FIDE uses income from rating fees to finance general expenses such as the President's expense account, so it's not just the direct cost of rating that's the issue.

Carl Hibbard

Post by Carl Hibbard » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:44 pm

A podcast recommended by me and and an episode relevant to the discussion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tD0ZD3DfNyY

Nigel a little under prepared but an interesting chat regardless.
Last edited by Carl Hibbard on Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: So old news sorry mentioned earlier.
Cheers
Carl Hibbard

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:28 am

Carl Hibbard wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:44 pm
Nigel a little under prepared but an interesting chat regardless.
Just a little? He spends a lot of time lamenting the damage done by FIDE rating fees in Africa, ignoring the fact that they are already largely exempted from them. If he has been spreading the disinformation that it is expensive for these nations to get their events rated, that is most unhelpful.

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:46 pm

The Makropoulos slate has a new candidate to replace the corrupt and disgraced Dr. Aguinaldo Jaime. Makro's announcement, HERE, offers fulsome praise for Jaime, but alas... :roll: Poor old Jaime is stepping aside, he says, "for personal reasons". Yep, that's understood: there are only so many hours in the day for a man to count up his wealth looted from the Angolan people.

Never mind. Step forward Chitalu Chilufya. Who he? Zambia's Minister of Health, and President of the ZCF. And what commends him to Makro; what skill-set does he bring?

You can judge from THIS.

And then there's THIS

And if that isn't enough, there's THIS!! :shock:

Nigel Short is already on the case. Let's hope Malcolm Pein is too

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:54 pm

Googling is a good game and can be played by all the family
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com