Which Candidate Should the ECF Support in the FIDE Presidential Election?

The very latest International round up of English news.

Which Candidate Should the ECF Support in the FIDE Presidential Election?

Poll ended at Tue May 08, 2018 10:47 pm

Kirsan Ilyumzhinov
2%
Georgios Makropoulos
14%
Nigel Short
59%
None of the Above
25%

Total votes: 56

Christopher Kreuzer

Re: Which Candidate Should the ECF Support in the FIDE Presidential Election?

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Fri May 11, 2018 4:44 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 11:25 pm
I'm not inclined to place even a preliminary vote until the tickets are announced. It will then be a minimum requirement of mine that all names must be of people who actually exist. I'm picky like that.
People who actually exist. And presumably are not called Glen Stark. I presume that is who Nick was referring to. Roger was the first person to explicitly mention him on this forum, and then Leonard, and now it seems everyone knows about this mysterious person (except who he actually is). Bizarre.

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Fri May 11, 2018 4:56 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 3:59 pm
do you have the remotest idea of what you're talking about?
Yes, of course I do
NickFaulks wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 3:59 pm
how many employees do you believe FIDE has?
Quite irrelevant how many I believe FIDE has. It's only relevant how many FIDE believes it has. Judging only from its website, FIDE employs or appears to employ about two dozen office staff. I don't think anyone is gunning for them, minor functionaries in the main.

But elsewhere in that ghastly Stalin-era bureaucracy called FIDE, it's a different matter. All those VPs, assistant VPs to the President; endless clutter of titles and self-importance signifying little, doing less. And the Commissions - 26 of them! Good grief, there's even a Commission on Commissions, every one chock full of blokes flown in from around the world for ponderous brain-deadening days of waffle. Utterly hopeless; a zombie organisation, the walking dead of chess. Just read back through Alex's post above to get some idea of the ridiculous paraphernalia involved.

If any candidate promised to detonate a nuclear bomb under this lot, the only question we would need to ask is: will it be on YouTube?

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri May 11, 2018 5:02 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 4:44 pm
and now it seems everyone knows about this mysterious person (except who he actually is). Bizarre.
Variously at the FIDE site in meeting minutes and at Kirsan's own site, he was announced as being the head of a supposed Kirsan Foundation in the USA. The problem being that if his CV is correct, it would have left a footprint of searchable references.

Kirsan did however visit Wales last year.

https://www.chess.com/forum/view/genera ... t-our-club

So if you've ever played Alex Bullen, you are one handshake away from Kirsan.

Matt Mackenzie

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Fri May 11, 2018 5:12 pm

David Robertson wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 3:28 pm
Possibly not the best use of a person's time to fret about Nigel abolishing the stalemate rule when Nigel has promised to abolish so much more, starting with that tottering pile of secrecy, incompetence and self-reproducing bureaucracy called FIDE. He's called for the dismissal of the entire Kirsan-era Nomenklatura and a reorganisation of the FIDE Apparat. He deserves to win a landslide. If players voted, he would
Why not? That would ruin chess far more effectively than the absolute worst Kirsan and his pals could possibly muster.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

Leonard Barden

Post by Leonard Barden » Fri May 11, 2018 5:37 pm

It's getting worse for Kirsan......
http://www.chessdom.com/glen-stark-gary ... irsangate/

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri May 11, 2018 5:44 pm

Leonard Barden wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 5:37 pm
It's getting worse for Kirsan......
or should that be K.I.R.S.An as in

Key Investment Resources and Strategic Alliances Fund LLC ?

I don't think "my company works inc" as mentioned by chessdom has much to do with it, being a mechanism for the creation of new US Companies.

The new name is Igor Shinder.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Fri May 11, 2018 5:51 pm

Silvio Danailov has tweeted that he knows Glen Stark personally. You really couldn't make this up.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Fri May 11, 2018 7:04 pm

David Robertson wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 4:56 pm
But elsewhere in that ghastly Stalin-era bureaucracy called FIDE, it's a different matter. All those VPs, assistant VPs to the President; endless clutter of titles and self-importance signifying little, doing less. And the Commissions - 26 of them! Good grief, there's even a Commission on Commissions, every one chock full of blokes flown in from around the world for ponderous brain-deadening days of waffle. Utterly hopeless; a zombie organisation, the walking dead of chess. Just read back through Alex's post above to get some idea of the ridiculous paraphernalia involved.

If any candidate promised to detonate a nuclear bomb under this lot, the only question we would need to ask is: will it be on YouTube?
For what it's worth, I think the Commissions in general do a good job in my experience of them at FIDE Congresses, but some of the Commission meetings are very poor.

The Central Board of Commissions is a good idea to get everyone singing from the same hymnsheet, but there are some Commissions doing what, to a detached observer like me, appears to be other Commissions' work.

You may be amused to note that at the last Congress, David Jarrett explained that he'd done quite a bit of work a few years ago to cut down on the number of Commissions, only for them to have more now than they had when he did the work.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Fri May 11, 2018 7:44 pm

David Robertson wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 4:56 pm
every one chock full of blokes flown in from around the world for ponderous brain-deadening days of waffle.
Which particular Commission meetings have you sat through which struck you in this way?
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Fri May 11, 2018 9:57 pm

David Sedgwick wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 6:28 am
Michael Farthing wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 6:23 pm
Oh! I've just discovered you can change your vote on these polls!
Not necessarily, Michael.

When I started this thread and created the poll, I found out that the creator has the option to allow or disallow the changing of votes.
As I recall, David, you should have made it possible for an individual to change nine votes :-) or should that be :(

J T Melsom

Post by J T Melsom » Fri May 11, 2018 11:37 pm

Surely proxies should be allowed :)

Gary Senior

Post by Gary Senior » Sat May 12, 2018 10:26 am

I am very supportive of Nigel’s candidacy. I know he can be controversial - but for that reason I think his columns are excellent - but he has the good of chess at heart. FIDE has not been good for chess for many years. It will only change when an outsider wins the presidency. Malcolm Pein would also be an excellent candidate.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sat May 12, 2018 11:25 am

He mostly has the good of Nigel Short at heart, if we're looking for a common thread in his actions throughout his career.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Sat May 12, 2018 12:44 pm

The trouble with being a former competitor on "Countdown" is that I notice that "Glen Stark" is an anagram of "Strangle K", which should either worry Kirsan or me...

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sat May 12, 2018 1:06 pm

"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com