Which Candidate Should the ECF Support in the FIDE Presidential Election?

The very latest International round up of English news.

Which Candidate Should the ECF Support in the FIDE Presidential Election?

Poll ended at Tue May 08, 2018 10:47 pm

Kirsan Ilyumzhinov
2%
Georgios Makropoulos
14%
Nigel Short
59%
None of the Above
25%

Total votes: 56

NickFaulks

Re: Which Candidate Should the ECF Support in the FIDE Presidential Election?

Post by NickFaulks » Thu May 10, 2018 12:38 pm

Will this election turn into a proxy battle between The Times and The Daily Telegraph?
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Matthew Turner

Post by Matthew Turner » Thu May 10, 2018 1:53 pm

David Robertson wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 12:14 pm
Christopher Kreuzer wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 12:01 pm
Re: the leader in The Times: No mention of Makropoulos and mostly about Ilyumzhinov - not much actually about Short. Is this in the print edition as well?
I'm sure it will be in the print edition. No surprise the items are light on detail. Most readers will only support a general interest in the game. Nothing in the 'BTL' yet either
I read the article in the print edition. To be honest, it all seemed a bit bizarre to me.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Thu May 10, 2018 1:54 pm

Matthew Turner wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 1:53 pm
David Robertson wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 12:14 pm
Christopher Kreuzer wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 12:01 pm
Re: the leader in The Times: No mention of Makropoulos and mostly about Ilyumzhinov - not much actually about Short. Is this in the print edition as well?
I'm sure it will be in the print edition. No surprise the items are light on detail. Most readers will only support a general interest in the game. Nothing in the 'BTL' yet either
I read the article in the print edition. To be honest, it all seemed a bit bizarre to me.
More bizarre than Brexit and Trump?

IanCalvert

Post by IanCalvert » Thu May 10, 2018 3:58 pm

I think ,after tickets are announced, the ECF Board should at least consult its members possibly through the Bronze, Silver, Gold and Platinum representatives.

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Thu May 10, 2018 4:28 pm

I was startled by the headline "Young Poet of the year accuses Penguin editor of harassment" next to the picture of Kirsan in The TImes. But not that Penguin.

I think the FIDE delegate has the power to vote for whomever he likes, without consulting Council, let alone asking them to consult the members. So we are all supporting Makro however we voted in this poll.

Except those from other federations, and Nick surely far too wily to tell us who he will vote for at this stage :-)

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu May 10, 2018 4:42 pm

Paul Cooksey wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 4:28 pm
I think the FIDE delegate has the power to vote for whomever he likes, without consulting Council, let alone asking them to consult the members.
I would expect or hope that the FIDE delegate would take instructions from a majority of the rest of the Board. In the first of the attempts to remove the president for life twelve years ago, it could have been suspected that the then FIDE delegate would be prepared to support the incumbent, but the rest of the Board weren't.

The FIDE delegate is directly elected so the ECF Council can eventually throw him or her out of office, not that it's much of a threat with terms of office now three years.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Thu May 10, 2018 5:02 pm

Paul Cooksey wrote:
Except those from other federations, and Nick surely far too wily to tell us who he will vote for at this stage :-)
I have expressed my personal view, which is that I hope and expect to support the Makro ticket but shall wait to see who is on it before coming to any final decision. That is not necessarily the view of my federation.

nb If Malcolm were on the Makro ticket I would regard that as a plus.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Thu May 10, 2018 5:07 pm

Paul Cooksey wrote:
I think the FIDE delegate has the power to vote for whomever he likes
That must be wrong. If the Board gives voting instructions, the Delegate surely has to follow them.

Angus French

Post by Angus French » Thu May 10, 2018 5:31 pm

Last time the Board decided (instructing the FIDE Delegate - then Nigel Short - to vote for Kasparov's ticket and also to vote for Danailov's ticket in the ECU election).

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Thu May 10, 2018 6:13 pm

Angus French wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 5:31 pm
Last time the Board decided (instructing the FIDE Delegate - then Nigel Short - to vote for Kasparov's ticket and also to vote for Danailov's ticket in the ECU election).
Well done for being on the right side of the Danailov decision, and in a minority of one.

Paul Cooksey

Post by Paul Cooksey » Thu May 10, 2018 6:18 pm

From the R&R document below. It would be interesting to find out what happened if the board instructed Malcolm to vote for Nigel. Resignation from at least one of the roles I suppose.

But in fairness, I probably was wrong above, even if there is some wriggle room in the phrasing

FIDE Delegate
• In conjunction with the Director of International Chess, represents the interests of the Federation to FIDE and the ECU
• In all dealings with FIDE and ECU seeks, and where practicable acts in accordance with, instructions from the Board
• Communicates all relevant decisions of FIDE and the ECU to the Board
• Promotes the appointment of suitable English candidates to FIDE and ECU posts and committees
• Advises the Board on all FIDE and ECU matters
• Is invited to attend Board meetings

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Thu May 10, 2018 6:23 pm

Oh! I've just discovered you can change your vote on these polls!

If anyone saw a wobble in the figues a moment ago it's because I changed my vote and then changed it back again (So you'll be able to work out how I've voted :-( )

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Thu May 10, 2018 6:45 pm

Michael Farthing wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 6:23 pm
Oh! I've just discovered you can change your vote on these polls!

If anyone saw a wobble in the figues a moment ago it's because I changed my vote and then changed it back again (So you'll be able to work out how I've voted :-( )
Well, at least you haven't drawn everyone's attention to it.

Nick Grey

Post by Nick Grey » Thu May 10, 2018 9:54 pm

When is the election? Sounds like a lot of voters to convince & will they all vote?

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu May 10, 2018 10:03 pm

Nick Grey wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 9:54 pm
When is the election? Sounds like a lot of voters to convince & will they all vote?
It takes place during the Olympiad later this year in Batumi. It's one vote per member chess Federation of FIDE. The latest count of FIDE members is around 190. They don't all turn up at Olympiads, but there is a now limited system of proxies.

Over the last three elections establishment insiders (Kirsan/Makro etc.) have beaten challenger outsiders (Kok, Karpov, Kasparov and now Short) by around 130 to 60. This time however the establishment is potentially split between Kirsan loyalists and dissidents (Makro and many of the current Presidential board)