2018 Altibox Norway

The very latest International round up of English news.
LawrenceCooper
Posts: 5056
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:13 am

Re: 2018 Altibox Norway

Post by LawrenceCooper » Wed May 30, 2018 6:02 pm

David Robertson wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 4:45 pm
Mamedyarov - Karjakin

DRAW :!: :!: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Anand-Ding & MVL-Caruana have also clocked off but Carlsen has beaten Aronian and So-Nakamura is still going, possibly not for much longer though.

User avatar
Christopher Kreuzer
Posts: 7314
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:34 am
Location: London

Re: 2018 Altibox Norway

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Wed May 30, 2018 6:21 pm

Since then, Carlsen has won and So's advantage has disappeared (oh, you edited your post before I submitted mine!). Carlsen looking like he will add a second Norway classical title to his 2016 win. OK, it is only round 3 of 9, so maybe a bit premature to say that! :D

Tim Harding
Posts: 1776
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:46 pm
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Contact:

Re: 2018 Altibox Norway

Post by Tim Harding » Wed May 30, 2018 8:03 pm

David Robertson wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 4:45 pm
Mamedyarov - Karjakin

DRAW :!: :!: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Maybe Shakh still has toothache after all.
Tim Harding
Historian and Kibitzer

Author of 'British Chess Literature to 1914', Joseph Henry Blackburne: A Chess Biography', and 'Eminent Victorian Chess Players'
http://www.chessmail.com

User avatar
JustinHorton
Posts: 6472
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:06 am
Location: Somewhere you're not

Re: 2018 Altibox Norway

Post by JustinHorton » Wed May 30, 2018 8:05 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 6:21 pm
Since then, Carlsen has won and So's advantage has disappeared (oh, you edited your post before I submitted mine!). Carlsen looking like he will add a second Norway classical title to his 2016 win. OK, it is only round 3 of 9, so maybe a bit premature to say that! :D
Has he ever lost a tournament from a point ahead?
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Kevin Thurlow
Posts: 2973
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:28 pm

Re: 2018 Altibox Norway

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Thu May 31, 2018 9:25 am

"Has he ever lost a tournament from a point ahead?"

I vaguely remember a Gausdal, probably before he was a GM, where he started with 3 wins, then had a string of losses. Even if I have remembered correctly, I don't think that counts.

LawrenceCooper
Posts: 5056
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:13 am

Re: 2018 Altibox Norway

Post by LawrenceCooper » Thu May 31, 2018 3:48 pm

Rest day today which surprisingly means: https://twitter.com/NorwayChess/status/ ... 0085268480

User avatar
JustinHorton
Posts: 6472
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:06 am
Location: Somewhere you're not

Re: 2018 Altibox Norway

Post by JustinHorton » Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:57 am

"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

User avatar
Christopher Kreuzer
Posts: 7314
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:34 am
Location: London

Re: 2018 Altibox Norway

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:40 am

Goodness, that sounds bad. I hope Ding Liren recovers well and can continue his recent fine form. I suspect, though, that he might not be able to finish playing in the tournament, and at the very least it may affect his results. Depending on the exact nature of the injury and the surgery, he will almost certainly be on crutches and in a leg cast or in a wheelchair or otherwise restricted in his movements while it heals. Sitting at a chessboard can be difficult in such circumstances (remember Tony Miles playing his games lying on his front! that was a back issue - there must be examples of people playing on after being treated for broken bones, whether arm or leg, or even the more common dislocation injuries).

EDIT: Couple more details here. Apparently the cycling accident was before the cooking competition, and Ding Liren carried on, limped into the venue, sat and chopped vegetables while Anand cooked, and they won the competition. But sounds like he should have gone to the hospital if (as it turned out) surgery was required.

LawrenceCooper
Posts: 5056
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:13 am

Re: 2018 Altibox Norway

Post by LawrenceCooper » Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:04 pm


LawrenceCooper
Posts: 5056
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:13 am

Re: 2018 Altibox Norway

Post by LawrenceCooper » Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:45 pm

Nakamura-Carlsen the first to finish today.

User avatar
Matt Mackenzie
Posts: 2865
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:51 pm
Location: Millom, Cumbria

Re: 2018 Altibox Norway

Post by Matt Mackenzie » Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:11 pm

Naka still can't beat Magnus very often, but the days when he was his willing "bunny" do seem to be over.
"Set up your attacks so that when the fire is out, it isn't out!" (H N Pillsbury)

LawrenceCooper
Posts: 5056
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:13 am

Re: 2018 Altibox Norway

Post by LawrenceCooper » Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:15 pm

LawrenceCooper wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:45 pm
Nakamura-Carlsen the first to finish today.
Followed by Anand-So. The two remaining games, both Grunfelds, look likely to produce at least one white win.

LawrenceCooper
Posts: 5056
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:13 am

Re: 2018 Altibox Norway

Post by LawrenceCooper » Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:33 pm

LawrenceCooper wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:15 pm
LawrenceCooper wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:45 pm
Nakamura-Carlsen the first to finish today.
Followed by Anand-So. The two remaining games, both Grunfelds, look likely to produce at least one white win.
Karjakin-MVL 1-0. Aronian has an extra pawn in an ending against Mamedyarov.

LawrenceCooper
Posts: 5056
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:13 am

Re: 2018 Altibox Norway

Post by LawrenceCooper » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:31 pm

LawrenceCooper wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:33 pm
LawrenceCooper wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:15 pm
LawrenceCooper wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:45 pm
Nakamura-Carlsen the first to finish today.
Followed by Anand-So. The two remaining games, both Grunfelds, look likely to produce at least one white win.
Karjakin-MVL 1-0. Aronian has an extra pawn in an ending against Mamedyarov.
Aronian wins in 70 moves.

User avatar
JustinHorton
Posts: 6472
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:06 am
Location: Somewhere you're not

Re: 2018 Altibox Norway

Post by JustinHorton » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:45 pm

Amazed and impressed he managed to win that.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Post Reply