Batumi Olympiad

The very latest International round up of English news.
Mick Norris

Re: Batumi Olympiad

Post by Mick Norris » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:56 am

JustinHorton wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:42 am
Mick Norris wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:10 am
Howell gets a day off; he's currently in silver medal position on board 3
I'm sure I should know this, but is a there a minimum games stipulation?
8 games according to the regulations
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Alan Atkinson

Post by Alan Atkinson » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:18 am

harrylamb wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:36 pm

The law is not interested in cheating at chess. It is interested in ensuring disabled people are not discriminated against. I believe that condemning a player to a prison of silence for say five hours during the course of a game is discrimination and not acceptable. My understanding is that you must make reasonable adjustments to avoid the discrimination. After all it cannot be that hard. I do not know of a single case of cheating using an electronic hearing aid.
It is not the hearing aid that is used to cheat: the problem is what other electronics sit in an ear either masked by or pretending to be, a hearing aid.

In fairness, the players generally are understanding of the anti-cheating efforts being made at Batumi, and seem to co-operate willingly. Of course, they have no real choice! The lesser evil is to allow us a quick scan with the hand held machines.

Some captains are a little more upset, on behalf of their players, and that is understandable.

The biggest problem is that, unlike most events elsewhere that I have officiated at, there are probably hundreds of VIPs [Heads of Delegation, FIDE commission members, Organising committee members etc and the Press, etc] who, it seems, have never before been told to turn off, never mind put away, their phones, (which local arbiter will tell their National President to put away his/her phone?) so they just walk about with their phones on. Plus every cleaner/plumber/electrician/security officer in Batumi seems to think a quiet-ish playing Hall and adjoining areas is just the place to make a phone call!
But the players, probably even those with hearing difficulties, are all great! So far anyway! (Alan Atkinson)

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:40 am

Alan Atkinson wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:18 am

The biggest problem is that, unlike most events elsewhere that I have officiated at, there are probably hundreds of VIPs [Heads of Delegation, FIDE commission members, Organising committee members etc and the Press, etc] who, it seems, have never before been told to turn off, never mind put away, their phones
Given the precedent eight years ago of the French method of signalling, are there any restrictions on where the VIPs can stand whilst in the playing area? From photos, the playing area is a sports hall with banks of seats in stands. Presumably they aren't confined to the seating area.

An organisation sufficiently paranoid about potential cheating that it bans players from taking in their own pens and watches really shouldn't be allowing spectators potentially in contact with players to wander around with phones potentially showing games in progress and the computer assessments thereof.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:46 am

Alan Atkinson >(which local arbiter will tell their National President to put away his/her phone?,

At Hastings, or the British, I used to ask the local dignitary to make the announcement at the start of play to swith off the phone and put it away and to do itin front of the audience. I think they liked being a temorary arbiter.

It would be quite difficult here to communicate from the spectator seating to a player. But, of course, not impossible. It is difficult to see anything from the spectator stands.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:54 am

Alan Atkinson wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:18 am
Plus every cleaner/plumber/electrician/security officer in Batumi seems to think a quiet-ish playing Hall and adjoining areas is just the place to make a phone call!
A member of TAP had to make a phone call from the wings of the playing area the other day, because security wouldn't let him through with it. During a gap when there were no results, he had gone to visit the Expo Hall, and got in easily enough. But he wasn't allowed back out the other way. So in the end, he had to phone me in the Office to go and persuade the security man who didn't speak English to let him through. After that failed, I had to go to find Takis so that he could save the day.

TAP has local Georgian phones so that we can communicate with Takis and the other members of TAP to co-ordinate various things (e.g. when our car should pick us up, the fact that there's been some emergency that means our presence in the Office is required, and so on).
Last edited by Alex Holowczak on Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:57 am

Some of the players at Batumi discuss their superstitions.

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:06 am

90 second video blog from Nino Maisuradze on Round 6

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:22 am

Chris Rice wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:57 am
Some of the players at Batumi discuss their superstitions.
This is excellent and everybody should watch it
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:49 am

Touch-move controversy on move 50 of this game.

A commentor says:
I am deducing from the video that Julio was capturing the pawn on d6, so he took the pawn off the board with his hand. It seems as though Atabayev is saying that Julio then touched his rook in order to capture the pawn with it, and then he changed his mind(because Julio's f4 Knight would have been hanging). Julio clearly seems to be "re-enacting" the way he capture previously, never touching the rook.
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:57 am

In the Women's tournament, the online services only have three boards listed in Albania v Poland, which is odd as Chess Results thinks Kulon is going to play Kerciku.
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:17 pm

Also some controversy from the end of that epic Ukraine v China match yesterday. Help me out here, what's "slow-rolling"?
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:41 pm

Early finish in Central African Republic v Gambia for reasons that are very far from clear to me.
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

Andrew Bak

Post by Andrew Bak » Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:04 pm

JustinHorton wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:17 pm
Also some controversy from the end of that epic Ukraine v China match yesterday. Help me out here, what's "slow-rolling"?
Slow-rolling is a term in poker where you know you have the best hand (often the best possible hand) but you wait for your opponent to show their hand first.

A variation is that the opponent shows their hand first, you know that you have a better hand and you take your time in revealing your stronger hand.

This is a significant breach of etiquette in poker as you’re making your opponent think they’ve won the hand when in fact you know that you are the winner.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:09 pm

So how would that apply to the game yesterday?
"Do you play chess?"

lostontime.blogspot.com

Peter Shaw

Post by Peter Shaw » Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:25 pm

I think it was because Huang took a minute or so deciding whether to play Rf5 or g1Q at the end but after such a game you could hardly blame her for triple-checking everything so I wouldn't have called it a slow-roll.