Batumi Olympiad

The very latest International round up of English news.
Jonathan Rogers
Posts: 4094
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:26 pm

Re: Batumi Olympiad

Post by Jonathan Rogers » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:58 pm

Jonathan Rogers wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:46 pm
Momentum with China now, I would say.

Shame that David was the one to lose today. But there it is, what kind of country can have Kramnik on board three?

England might then be playing someone close to their own strength perhaps only for the second or third time tomorrow (the match against France was our one against obviously equal opponents, arguably the match against the ageing Israelis was another).
Or not! Kazakhstan! If we were another country, anyone would think we had successfuly hacked the pairing system for much of this event.

But maybe Nick will play now?

User avatar
JustinHorton
Posts: 7724
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:06 am
Location: Somewhere you're not

Re: Batumi Olympiad

Post by JustinHorton » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:00 pm

JustinHorton wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:16 pm
Wikipedia tells me we're going by Sonneborn-Berger, is that right?
Also, early start, yes?
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Matt Fletcher
Posts: 235
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:42 pm

Re: Batumi Olympiad

Post by Matt Fletcher » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:19 pm

It's been pointed out on Twitter that board 35 sees IBCA take on ICCD - has that pairing come up many times before? I'm also genuinely interested to know how it works logistically as presumably announcing moves wouldn't work particularly well?

LawrenceCooper
Posts: 5307
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:13 am

Re: Batumi Olympiad

Post by LawrenceCooper » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:21 pm

Matt Fletcher wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:19 pm
It's been pointed out on Twitter that board 35 sees IBCA take on ICCD - has that pairing come up many times before? I'm also genuinely interested to know how it works logistically as presumably announcing moves wouldn't work particularly well?
From Facebook:

Alex Holowczak
1 hr ·
An Olympiad first in Round 11 tomorrow: The Blind against the Deaf. They all have assistants, so it *should* be fine...

Mick Norris
Posts: 8132
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:12 am
Location: Bolton, Greater Manchester

Re: Batumi Olympiad

Post by Mick Norris » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:27 pm

Jonathan Rogers wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:58 pm
Jonathan Rogers wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:46 pm
Momentum with China now, I would say.

Shame that David was the one to lose today. But there it is, what kind of country can have Kramnik on board three?

England might then be playing someone close to their own strength perhaps only for the second or third time tomorrow (the match against France was our one against obviously equal opponents, arguably the match against the ageing Israelis was another).
Or not! Kazakhstan! If we were another country, anyone would think we had successfuly hacked the pairing system for much of this event.

But maybe Nick will play now?
No

Bo. 9 England (ENG) Rtg - 37 Kazakhstan (KAZ) Rtg

6.1 GM Adams, Michael 2712 - GM Jumabayev, Rinat 2605
6.2 GM McShane, Luke J 2672 - GM Ismagambetov, Anuar 2538
6.3 GM Howell, David W L 2689 - GM Kazhgaleyev, Murtas 2582
6.4 GM Jones, Gawain C B 2677 - IM Makhnev, Denis 2449
Any postings on here represent my personal views and should not be taken as representative of the Manchester Chess Federation www.manchesterchess.co.uk

Mick Norris
Posts: 8132
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:12 am
Location: Bolton, Greater Manchester

Re: Batumi Olympiad

Post by Mick Norris » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:31 pm

Bo. 25 England (ENG) Rtg - 18 Italy (ITA) Rtg

17.1 IM Houska, Jovanka 2402 - IM Zimina, Olga 2421
17.2 FM Kalaiyalahan, Akshaya 2253 - IM Sedina, Elena 2267
17.3 IM Ciuksyte, Dagne 2308 - FM Di Benedetto, Desiree 2321
17.4 WIM Maroroa, Sue 2112 - FM Brunello, Marina 2294
Any postings on here represent my personal views and should not be taken as representative of the Manchester Chess Federation www.manchesterchess.co.uk

Matt Fletcher
Posts: 235
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:42 pm

Re: Batumi Olympiad

Post by Matt Fletcher » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:49 pm

LawrenceCooper wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:21 pm
Matt Fletcher wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:19 pm
It's been pointed out on Twitter that board 35 sees IBCA take on ICCD - has that pairing come up many times before? I'm also genuinely interested to know how it works logistically as presumably announcing moves wouldn't work particularly well?
From Facebook:

Alex Holowczak
1 hr ·
An Olympiad first in Round 11 tomorrow: The Blind against the Deaf. They all have assistants, so it *should* be fine...
Thanks Loz - Alex doesn't sound overly convinced :D
I'm sure it'll be fine!

Chris Rice
Posts: 3056
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:17 am

Re: Batumi Olympiad

Post by Chris Rice » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:25 pm

Interesting photo and given what happened we can only wonder what the Russia-England match score might have been?

User avatar
JustinHorton
Posts: 7724
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:06 am
Location: Somewhere you're not

Re: Batumi Olympiad

Post by JustinHorton » Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:35 am

I don't think England would ever have put their reserve in for that fixture
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

User avatar
Mike W. Richardt
Posts: 94
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:37 am
Location: Abu Dhabi & Taunton
Contact:

Re: Batumi Olympiad

Post by Mike W. Richardt » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:00 am

Matt Fletcher wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:19 pm
It's been pointed out on Twitter that board 35 sees IBCA take on ICCD - has that pairing come up many times before? I'm also genuinely interested to know how it works logistically as presumably announcing moves wouldn't work particularly well?
Martin Lewis is playing do ICCD - and what a tournament he's having!!! :-)
http://chess-results.com/tnr368908.aspx ... 30&snr=580
Nullius addictus iurare in verba magistri - I am not bound to believe in the word of any master
http://www.mikerichardt.co.uk

User avatar
JustinHorton
Posts: 7724
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:06 am
Location: Somewhere you're not

Re: Batumi Olympiad

Post by JustinHorton » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:12 am

Gawain amusingly punting 4...O-O in the King's Indian, Makhnyov not tempted
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

User avatar
JustinHorton
Posts: 7724
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:06 am
Location: Somewhere you're not

Re: Batumi Olympiad

Post by JustinHorton » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:15 am

Meanwhile Caruana has played the 4 e3 Classical English against Ding. Stockfish on Chess24 reckons his 7 d4 was a mistake that Ding didn't punish, so what's going on there?




EDIT: Stockfish has changed its mind
Last edited by JustinHorton on Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Thomas Rendle
Posts: 379
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:31 am

Re: Batumi Olympiad

Post by Thomas Rendle » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:21 am

All looks very standard to me, probably just a temporary depth issue. It certainly doesn't seem Caruana has really found much with White but the middlegame should be interesting (position is unclear rather than dull equality).

User avatar
JustinHorton
Posts: 7724
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:06 am
Location: Somewhere you're not

Re: Batumi Olympiad

Post by JustinHorton » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:24 am

Thomas Rendle wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:21 am
All looks very standard to me, probably just a temporary depth issue.
That's what I assumed, since I very much doubt Caruana was going to be chucking in blunders as ewarly as move seven in a contemporary variation he'll have looked at overnight, but curious all the same. (I'm always amused, by the way, when Stockfish on Chessbomb awards 2...g6 a red marking, like it's 1925 or something.)
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

benedgell
Posts: 1257
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:43 pm
Location: Somerset
Contact:

Re: Batumi Olympiad

Post by benedgell » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:31 am

Mike W. Richardt wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:00 am
Matt Fletcher wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:19 pm
It's been pointed out on Twitter that board 35 sees IBCA take on ICCD - has that pairing come up many times before? I'm also genuinely interested to know how it works logistically as presumably announcing moves wouldn't work particularly well?
Martin Lewis is playing do ICCD - and what a tournament he's having!!! :-)
http://chess-results.com/tnr368908.aspx ... 30&snr=580
Unless I've read it wrong Lewis has got the FM title with his performance.

Post Reply