Batumi Olympiad

The very latest International round up of English news.
Christopher Kreuzer

Re: Batumi Olympiad

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:27 pm

Alistair Campbell wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:42 pm
Alan Tate may make progress (again!) to the IM title (I think he was badly advised when he got to 2399)
When was this and can you give more details? (Asking purely out of curiosity.)

Alistair Campbell

Post by Alistair Campbell » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:54 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:13 pm
Alistair Campbell wrote:
And of course, there will be chances of WFM titles for the women.
I hope you're right, but 6/9 is quite a target. Also, it tends to depend upon other team members not doing very well.
Good point.
Christopher Kreuzer wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:27 pm
Alistair Campbell wrote:
Alan Tate may make progress (again!) to the IM title (I think he was badly advised when he got to 2399)
When was this and can you give more details? (Asking purely out of curiosity.)
I don’t have exact details as I don’t have access to old rating lists or performances from previous rating periods (I think I need to register with FIDE for that), but I believe the basics are as follows.

Alan had a good tournament in Gibraltar (late January) gaining 35 points, which coupled with a domestic result got him to 2399.

At this point, as I understand it, one half-decent result would have got him to 2400 and hence the title (he has the norms).

However, his next tournament was the European individual at Batumi in March, where inevitably he played a 2600+ in R1 and lost. He then had a bad result, and subsequently a bad tournament, shedding 47 points. (I am speculating that the missed IM title may have contributed to underperforming).

My suggestion would have been, if at all possible, to have arranged to have played a relatively weak player (e.g. 1861 might have sufficed) in February to get the title and get that out of the way.

Christopher Kreuzer

Post by Christopher Kreuzer » Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:26 pm

Thanks. That rings a bell. I thought it had been mentioned at the time, but can't find anything on searching for it here.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:01 pm

Why ignore Guernsey ranked 148, captained by Robert Bellin
Jersey 151
Papua New Guinea 149, despite Stuart Fancy and Rupert Jones in their team as usual. Theirs is the highest ranked team including an unrated player
Sri Lanka captained by Jon Speelman
There is just one team with no rated players at all.
The Olympiads have no rule about playing nobody on a lower board more than than 100 points higher than a team member.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:13 pm

Regulations for this have now been published.

http://www.fide.com/component/content/a ... dures.html
http://www.fide.com/component/content/a ... tains.html

With its supporters now sidelined, zero time default has reverted to a more pragmatic, if short, fifteen minutes.

There's a ban on watches and pens. Given their use or alleged use in cheating, are hearing aids, jewellery and even shoes next on the list?

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:24 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:13 pm
With its supporters now sidelined, zero time default has reverted to a more pragmatic, if short, fifteen minutes.
That was also the rule in force in 2016, although the wording was strange.

The Anti-Cheating regulations feature
"2. DURING THE ROUND: there will be fast random checks for approximately 20 to 30 players."

If this really involves players being pulled away from their game, as it appears to, I don't think this will be very popular.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Stewart Reuben

Post by Stewart Reuben » Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:10 am

2. DURING THE ROUND: there will be fast random checks for approximately 20 to 30 players. The checks will be done by the Anti cheating Arbiters with the use of the non linear scanners and detectors and will take 5 to 10 seconds for every check. These checks will not take place during the times of pressure (during the first time control and close to the end of the game). In the case where there is any indication, a thorough check will follow, according to the art. 11.3.3. of the Laws of Chess (in a private room, in the presence of Sector Arbiter and/or Deputy Chief Arbiter and so on). If a player refuses to cooperate with these obligations, the arbiter shall take measures in accordance with Article 12.9 and will forfeit the player.

I don't see these random checks as necessarily disturbing the players. It may be similar to a totally silent camera some distance from the player.
It seems to m the role of the captain will be very onerous, if he is also playing.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:28 am

Stewart Reuben wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:10 am
I don't see these random checks as necessarily disturbing the players. It may be similar to a totally silent camera some distance from the player.
That's not the way I read it, but we shall see.
It seems to me the role of the captain will be very onerous, if he is also playing.
Are there any playing captains? There is no reason for this in an Olympiad.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

David Sedgwick

Post by David Sedgwick » Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:46 am

NickFaulks wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:28 am
Are there any playing captains? There is no reason for this in an Olympiad.
There are some. Congo and Sao Tome are two which I noticed.

From those countries, the travel grant would not suffice to cover the air fare.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:53 am

David Sedgwick wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:46 am
From those countries, the travel grant would not suffice to cover the air fare.
Presumably those two haven't got themselves on good terms with Trainers Commission.

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:38 pm

"These checks will not take place during the times of pressure (during the first time control and close to the end of the game)."

Surely not when the player is on move? I can think of many players (including myself) who would give a fairly firm retort if that happened.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:04 pm

Kevin Thurlow wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:38 pm
Surely not when the player is on move?
I had the idea they would intercept people when they were away from the board. Even if it wasn't your move, you wouldn't want to be disturbed whilst at the board.

If they use the witchfinder program in real time, that might give hints as to who to "randomly" investigate.

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:22 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:04 pm
Kevin Thurlow wrote:
I had the idea they would intercept people when they were away from the board. Even if it wasn't your move, you wouldn't want to be disturbed whilst at the board.

If they use the witchfinder program in real time, that might give hints as to who to "randomly" investigate.
"4. All games of all rounds will be checked by Prof. Ken Regan’s programme and the Chief Arbiter and the responsible for the Anti cheating Sector Arbiter will receive daily relevant reports. Suspicious cases according to the report will have always priority for checking during and after the rounds."

In practice then, this would appear to indicate that the intention is that all the games would be run through the programme after the round and then any anomalies ie giant killing, genius moves, consistently computer first choice etc would become flags for the in-round checks the next day. Presumably in combination with anyone found to be acting suspiciously while the game is ongoing.

Mick Norris

Post by Mick Norris » Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:11 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:04 pm
Kevin Thurlow wrote:
You could stay at the board the whole game if that was true, although most cheating methods involve leaving the board I think
Any postings on here represent my personal views

Ian Thompson

Post by Ian Thompson » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:41 pm

Stewart Reuben wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:10 am
If that was the case you'd have to ask why the checks would be limited to 20 to 30 players. You could check everyone.

I think it's more likely to be a wand similar to those used at airports. You could scan someone with one of those in 5 - 10 seconds. The question though is what is the likelihood of a false detection of items such as keys, coins, belt buckles, etc., and how long it's then going to take to confirm that's all the person is carrying.