Chess in Iran

The very latest International round up of English news.
NickFaulks

Re: Chess in Iran

Post by NickFaulks » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:00 pm

Christopher Kreuzer wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:40 pm
India chess player quits Iran tournament over headscarf rule (BBC News)

"Indian chess champion Soumya Swaminathan has pulled out of an Asian tournament in Iran over the country's compulsory headscarf rule."
These articles leave the impression that headscarves will be compulsory within the venue, for instance when playing. That would be unacceptable if true, but it would be nice to know whether it is true. I have asked.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:04 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:00 pm
These articles leave the impression that headscarves will be compulsory within the venue, for instance when playing. That would be unacceptable if true, but it would be nice to know whether it is true. I have asked.
Was that not the case during the World Championship knock out?

https://en.chessbase.com/post/fide-anno ... -wwch-2017

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:15 pm

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:04 pm
That's history, I want to know whether it will be the case in the tournament under discussion.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

soheil_hooshdaran

Re: Timeline for 2800 ratings

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:12 am

Chris Goodall wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 9:02 pm
soheil_hooshdaran wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 7:53 pm
chess federations are subordinate to the administrations and they subordinate to the government, all of which should follow the constitution.
Where is it written in the constitution that people who don't cover their hair or play against Israelis shall be banned from playing chess? I can't find that article. It must be the translation I'm using.
Correct, not specifically mentioned in the constitution, but it was mentioned that the state religion of Iran is Islam.
Last edited by soheil_hooshdaran on Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:24 am

NickFaulks wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:15 pm
Roger de Coverly wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:04 pm
That's history, I want to know whether it will be the case in the tournament under discussion.
I think it would not be compulsory if there is only women in the venue, but then it cannot be broadcast in Iran.
Women are not required by Islam to cover up in front of their so called Mahrams.

And say to the believing women that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty; that they should not display their beauty and ornaments except what (must ordinarily) appear thereof; that they should draw their veils over their bosoms and not display their beauty except to their husbands, their fathers, their husband's fathers, their sons, their husbands' sons, their brothers or their brothers' sons, or their sisters' sons, or their women, or the slaves whom their right hands possess, or male servants free of physical needs, or small children who have no sense of the shame of sex; and that they should not strike their feet in order to draw attention to their hidden ornaments. And O ye Believers! turn ye all together towards Allah, that ye may attain Bliss. (Quran, chapter an-Nur: verse 31)

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:17 am

soheil_hooshdaran wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:24 am
I think it would not be compulsory if there is only women in the venue, but then it cannot be broadcast in Iran.
Thanks, your comments as an Iranian are more helpful than the speculations of foreigners, but we would still like to know the official answer. There will be men in the venue, because I expect the Open event will also take place there and in any case some of the Women's teams will have male captains.

Since the identity of the Chief Arbiter is still unknown, I wrote to the President of your federation, who knows me well enough. Sadly, he has not replied - perhaps they have still not decided, although since the deadline for the submission of teams has already passed that would be unfortunate. This is a matter of interest beyond the Asian continent, if only because of

11.1 The winning teams will represent the continent of Asia in the 2019 World (Women’s) Team Championship.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:07 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:17 am
Since the identity of the Chief Arbiter is still unknown, I wrote to the President of your federation, who knows me well enough. Sadly, he has not replied - perhaps they have still not decided, although since the deadline for the submission of teams has already passed that would be unfortunate.
You may have accidentally asked the cleaner.
Asian Nations Chess Cup Regulations wrote:8.1 The Asian Chess Federation President shall nominate the Technical Delegate, Chief Arbiter and other Arbiters.

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:48 am

NickFaulks wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:17 am
soheil_hooshdaran wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:24 am
Thanks, your comments as an Iranian are more helpful than the speculations of foreigners, but we would still like to know the official answer. There will be men in the venue, because I expect the Open event will also What is being heldtake place there and in any case some of the Women's teams will have male captains.

Since the identity of the Chief Arbiter is still unknown, I wrote to the President of your federation, who knows me well enough. Sadly, he has not replied - perhaps they have still not decided, although since the deadline for the submission of teams has already passed that would be unfortunate. This is a matter of interest beyond the Asian continent, if only because of

11.1 The winning teams will represent the continent of Asia in the 2019 World (Women’s) Team Championship.
What's being held where?

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:53 am

soheil_hooshdaran wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:48 am
What's being held where?
This is what we are discussing.

http://fide.com/index.php?option=com_fi ... w&aid=1556

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:14 am

NickFaulks wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:53 am
One of the Indian players has declined to be selected.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/ ... scarf-rule

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:52 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
soheil_hooshdaran wrote:
What's being held where?

You are saying to them that it's culture, but please let them know that it's part of the state religion.
No one can impose his "culture".

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:19 pm

soheil_hooshdaran wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:52 pm
NickFaulks wrote:
soheil_hooshdaran wrote:
What's being held where?

You are saying to them that it's culture, but please let them know that it's part of the state religion.
No one can impose his "culture".
England has a state religion, the Church of England. It has been the state religion since the 1530s. I think the difference between the two countries in this aspect is that despite England having a state religion, Church of England customs aren't forced upon the people who visit here; or indeed those who live here. For example, one of the schools I coach at is a Catholic school, but one of the children I coach there was observing Ramadan. Neither of these are the state religion, but it is accepted, fine, and just not a problem at all with anyone.

I'm sure the Indian player realises that the dress requirements are because of the rules of Iran's state religion, but in many countries that have state religions, they appear to be more tolerant of those who do not share those religious beliefs.