Irish Championships 2018

The very latest International round up of English news.
Kevin Thurlow

Re: Irish Championships 2018

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:20 am

And now I see why Conor Murphy disappeared from Hull a couple of days ago!

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:24 am

Kevin Thurlow wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:20 am
I hope the ECF has learnt its lesson and doesn't let him back.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:45 am

NickFaulks wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:24 am
Kevin Thurlow wrote:
While it won't be my job to do anything about it by then, I've put this on the list of things to sort out for 2019.

JustinHorton

Post by JustinHorton » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:46 am

Alex Holowczak wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:45 am
NickFaulks wrote:
Kevin Thurlow wrote:
While it won't be my job to do anything about it by then, I've put this on the list of things to sort out for 2019.
While on the face of it this is not very impressive, has he actually transgressed any regulations? Of course it may just be that the regulations should be changed so that in future, that would be the case.

Also I wondered whether there was any precedent for a player to withdraw midway through the British (did he, in fact, formally withdraw?) in order to take part in another tournament?
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:57 am

JustinHorton wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:46 am
Alex Holowczak wrote:
NickFaulks wrote:

While on the face of it this is not very impressive, has he actually transgressed any regulations? Of course it may just be that the regulations should be changed so that in future, that would be the case.

Also I wondered whether there was any precedent for a player to withdraw midway through the British (did he, in fact, formally withdraw?) in order to take part in another tournament?
I haven't checked, but I don't think he has transgressed any regulations, and my point was that we might consider changing them in the future. While I think it would be desirable to stop people withdrawing to play in another event, we have had situations in the past where people have arrived late to the event because they were playing in another event. So there needs to be a decision about how desirable it is to permit either of those to happen. If thought undesirable, the wording needs to be sensitive to not prevent withdrawals due to illness, for example.

But on the specific case, I've emailed the ICU to ask what their dates are for 2019, because it might be that the two events don't clash in 2019 anyway. 2020 will be more of a headache, but that'll be for someone else to sort out.

Richard Bates

Post by Richard Bates » Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:02 pm

Alex Holowczak wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:57 am
JustinHorton wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:46 am
Alex Holowczak wrote:

I haven't checked, but I don't think he has transgressed any regulations, and my point was that we might consider changing them in the future. While I think it would be desirable to stop people withdrawing to play in another event, we have had situations in the past where people have arrived late to the event because they were playing in another event. So there needs to be a decision about how desirable it is to permit either of those to happen. If thought undesirable, the wording needs to be sensitive to not prevent withdrawals due to illness, for example.

But on the specific case, I've emailed the ICU to ask what their dates are for 2019, because it might be that the two events don't clash in 2019 anyway. 2020 will be more of a headache, but that'll be for someone else to sort out.
Fundamentally, this is the key. Granted it may be unavoidable but rather than chastise somebody for hedging their bets, it would of course be better if they weren’t forced to make a choice in the first place.

Pete Morriss

Post by Pete Morriss » Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:26 pm

Richard Bates wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:02 pm
… it would of course be better if they weren’t forced to make a choice in the first place.
The Irish Championship always used to be timetabled so that it did not overlap with the British. I don't know what went wrong this year.

John McMorrow

Post by John McMorrow » Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:52 pm

The Irish Championship 2019 dates have been in the calendar for a few months: 3-11 August, 2019. We plan 12-15 months in advance these days and the emphasis is on greatest player availability (2018 dates were in the calendar in June 2017 for instance). Top players were polled 2 years ago and August was far preferred to the previous old dates in July - and Dates over the BH were preferred as it meant one less day of AL.

Overall the change has worked out well - there was a very strong field last year which guaranteed IM norm chances for the first time since the event became closed to IRLs only (and one achieved for the first time in an Irish). The numbers for the supporting events also took a bump.

This year the event jumped back to Dublin and numbers are:
Championship: 36 (IM norm chances again and a record entry in IRL-only era)
First Weekender: 98 (a record)
Weekday AM: 22 (Isn’t always run but a record entry)
Open Weekender: currently 50 with a week til entries close. 60 being the record.

As for the issue of players playing both - I’ve discussed it with Alex today. It wasn’t nice for either organising team to not know for sure in advance which he’d play. I keep a player in reserve to avoid an odd number (in case someone pulls out last minute). Realistically this could happen with any two events so one avoiding the other wouldn’t necessarily stop anything but if we notice something similar in future we’ll be working with Alex on solutions.

John Moore

Post by John Moore » Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:51 pm

So where are these promised live games. Those of us who have been watching the British need something.

Martin Crichton

Post by Martin Crichton » Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:55 pm

it is very annoying isn't it.
Member of "the strongest amateur chess club in London" (Cavendish)

my views are not representative of any clubs or organisations.

LawrenceCooper

Post by LawrenceCooper » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:50 am

THe boards are wired up for broadcast: https://www.facebook.com/IrishChess/pho ... =3&theater

Tim Harding

Post by Tim Harding » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:09 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:53 am
Tim Harding wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:40 pm
FM Stephen Jessel just failed to punch his clock in time after making move 40 on the board.
I always find that a bit strange when there is a 30 second increment.
I have played Stephen twice. He does tend to maximise the use of his time, resulting in having to play on the 30-second increment, frequently making a move with 2 or 3 seconds to spare.
On this occasion he just cut it too fine.

The time limit by the way was 1 hour 45 mins for the first 40 moves, with 30 second increment from move one, and also a bonus 30 minutes after move 40. Stephen's opponent, who told me about this, seemed quite surprised at the outcome; he said it was at move 40 Stephen failed to press the clock in time. I haven't seen the moves yet but I don't think either player had a big advantage when this occurred.
Tim Harding
Historian and FIDE Arbiter

Author of 'Steinitz in London,' British Chess Literature to 1914', 'Joseph Henry Blackburne: A Chess Biography', and 'Eminent Victorian Chess Players'
http://www.chessmail.com

Martin Crichton

Post by Martin Crichton » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:37 pm

I have played Stephen once and observed him several times.....my take

lovely guy but....

(my take only).....a killer over the board...not just a killer but a sadist that uses the clock time to maximise the thrill that he gets from winning chess games.

let this be a lesson for Stephen!

wonder if there will be any live games today?
Member of "the strongest amateur chess club in London" (Cavendish)

my views are not representative of any clubs or organisations.

Tim Harding

Post by Tim Harding » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:21 pm

http://view.livechesscloud.com/07aba672 ... f7ce92c47a

So far boards 1, 2, 3 and 5 are working. You see the Baburin-O'Donnell game.
Click into the blue title bar above and get a drop-down menu where you can select another game, but board 4 is not working (yet).

I am not at the venue so amn't sure whether they can do anything about board 4. They have 10 DGT boards so maybe we shall have more tomorrow.

LATER: Good; now we have board 4 also.
Tim Harding

Author of 'Steinitz in London,' British Chess Literature to 1914', 'Joseph Henry Blackburne: A Chess Biography', and 'Eminent Victorian Chess Players'

Tim Harding

Post by Tim Harding » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:12 pm

Just after 6pm: Baburin game drawn and Murray beat Wall.

The other three are still live but no clock times displaying for board 2 unfortunately.

So Murray leads with 3/3 but could be joined if there is a decisive result between Lopez and Collins.
Tim Harding