Which Candidate Should the ECF Support in the FIDE Presidential Election? (Take 2)

The very latest International round up of English news.

Which Candidate Should the ECF Support in the FIDE Presidential Election?

Poll ended at Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:05 am

Arkady Dvorkovich
11%
Georgios Makropoulos
20%
Nigel Short
48%
None of the Above
22%

Total votes: 46

NickFaulks

Re: Which Candidate Should the ECF Support in the FIDE Presidential Election? (Take 2)

Post by NickFaulks » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:24 am

JustinHorton wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:49 am
what should the Board have done, issued a statement saying " we are backing Nigel because we think his support will be invaluable to the former Deputy Prime Minister of the Russian Federation"?

They chose to introduce the political dimension. They did not have to do that.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

JustinHorton

Re: Which Candidate Should the ECF Support in the FIDE Presidential Election? (Take 2)

Post by JustinHorton » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:59 am

NickFaulks wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:24 am
JustinHorton wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:49 am
what should the Board have done, issued a statement saying " we are backing Nigel because we think his support will be invaluable to the former Deputy Prime Minister of the Russian Federation"?

They chose to introduce the political dimension. They did not have to do that.
Well to be fair I don't think this was the point at which the political dimension was introduced.
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

soheil_hooshdaran

Post by soheil_hooshdaran » Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:01 am

Congrats to GM Nigel Short for becoming a vice president.
I wonder if 10 positions are available for vide presidency of FIDE

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:44 am

soheil_hooshdaran wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:01 am
I wonder if 10 positions are available for vide presidency of FIDE
Sixteen in total. 2 from the ticket + 5 appointed + 5 elected + 4 honorary. You might think that is more than you really need.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:47 am

Well, we got here at 9am sharp as requested to get on with the elected commissions. Now 9.45 and it has been noticed that the polling booths were removed overnight and someone has gone in search of them. I don't get the impression that this is the Dvorkovich way of running things.

Andy Howie

Post by Andy Howie » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:45 am

I'm sure Hal Bond of Canada is going to be over the moon at the minutes referring to him as James Bond...

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:03 am

Extraordinarily embittered goodbye speech from Marko, saying how proud he is to have got 73 votes on a small budget against the Kremlin millions. He's determined to leave on a low note.

Alex Holowczak

Post by Alex Holowczak » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:58 am

NickFaulks wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:03 am
Extraordinarily embittered goodbye speech from Marko, saying how proud he is to have got 73 votes on a small budget against the Kremlin millions. He's determined to leave on a low note.
Who was elected to the three elected Commissions, in the end?

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:02 pm

Did someone say there is a video of the GA somewhere? I was there and would like to know what happened.

Brian Towers

Post by Brian Towers » Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:03 pm

You could try chess.com's Facebook page.
Ah, but I was so much older then. I'm younger than that now.

Roger de Coverly

Post by Roger de Coverly » Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:20 pm

NickFaulks wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:44 am
Sixteen in total. 2 from the ticket + 5 appointed + 5 elected + 4 honorary. You might think that is more than you really need.
Campo got an honorary position. Is the same likely for Kirsan, or is he cast into the outer darkness as far as FIDE is concerned?

(edit) I now see there's a goodwill message towards his successor.
http://kirsan.today/en/news/item/2568-k ... gress.html

In it though, there's a fantasy that the new administration really should address.
Chess is the best that humanity has. I am sure that our most important dream – one billion people playing chess – will come true.
If you think about making a proper count, then you have
the number of players on the FIDE rating list
the numbers of players on national rating and grading lists outside of the FIDE one
the junior players taking part in local or school events, not otherwise graded or rated
the participants and membership on the various servers, including correspondence and turn based
the online spectator audience for major events such as the Candidates, World Championship and Olympiad.

There's double counting so raw numbers would have to be reduced to account for this.

I would think the total is several zeros short of a billion, but they could at least measure increases or otherwise in participation.

There's also a definition point, "playing" as of in the last year or whatever, or "played" as in at some time in their lifetime.

[/edit]

Kevin Thurlow

Post by Kevin Thurlow » Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:34 pm

"Did someone say there is a video of the GA somewhere? I was there and would like to know what happened."

I've been to meetings like that...

Sometimes you have to wait for the MInutes to be published beofre you realise that the author of those occupies a parallel universe.

Steven DuCharme

Post by Steven DuCharme » Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:30 pm

I have sent my global chess plan to FIDE. Details will remain secret for reasons of global security and sanity :)
I float like a pawn island and sting like an ignored knight :mrgreen: