Which Candidate Should the ECF Support in the FIDE Presidential Election? (Take 2)

The very latest International round up of English news.

Which Candidate Should the ECF Support in the FIDE Presidential Election?

Poll ended at Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:05 am

Arkady Dvorkovich
11%
Georgios Makropoulos
20%
Nigel Short
48%
None of the Above
22%

Total votes: 46

JustinHorton

Re: Which Candidate Should the ECF Support in the FIDE Presidential Election? (Take 2)

Post by JustinHorton » Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:28 am

Roger de Coverly wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:36 pm
Kevin Spraggett is not impressed by the decision of the ECF Board.
Ray neither
"Do you play chess?"
"Yes, but I prefer a game with a better chance of cheating."

lostontime.blogspot.com

Roger Lancaster

Re: Which Candidate Should the ECF Support in the FIDE Presidential Election? (Take 2)

Post by Roger Lancaster » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:06 am

Tim Harding wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:54 pm

Roger, can you please re-post this (GM Kevin Spraggett's thoughts on widespread cheating) in the General Chat/ Cheating at Chess thread or start a new thread there, so we can keep this one free for FIDE election stuff?

If you do that, I would be interested to hear some specifics of the kinds of cheating Spraggett alleges.
Entirely appropriate suggestion and I've done that. I've no information on specifics but, if anyone else has, please post on other thread.

Tim Harding

Post by Tim Harding » Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:57 pm

Makro is live right now at a Batumi press conference
Tim Harding
Historian and FIDE Arbiter

Author of 'Steinitz in London,' British Chess Literature to 1914', 'Joseph Henry Blackburne: A Chess Biography', and 'Eminent Victorian Chess Players'
http://www.chessmail.com

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:27 pm

Oh dear no booth for Nigel.

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:57 pm

Chris Rice wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:27 pm
no booth for Nigel
Insurgents don't do 'booths'. I thought everyone knew that

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:21 pm

Looks like there have been some developments....

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:52 pm

Meanwhile Malcolm:

"FIDE Ethics Commission throws out @advorkovich and @nigelshortchess spurious complaint against @makro_chess Now onto the real business of the alleged corruption in Serbian Federation"

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:38 pm

Chris Rice wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:52 pm
Meanwhile Malcolm:

"FIDE Ethics Commission throws out @advorkovich and @nigelshortchess spurious complaint against @makro_chess Now onto the real business of the alleged corruption in Serbian Federation"
FIDE publish the details of what seems to have been assessed as a vexatious complaint.

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:00 pm

Am I missing something? It reads to me as if they've not thrown it out at all. They have just said that no pre-emptive measures should be taken prior to the hearing proper.

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:34 pm

Michael Farthing wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:00 pm
Am I missing something? It reads to me as if they've not thrown it out at all. They have just said that no pre-emptive measures should be taken prior to the hearing proper.
I agree its not a straightforward judgement. My take on it is that Section 7 clearly dismisses the application for provisional measures to be taken prior to the election. This is based on the reasons given in section 6 which are basically that the evidence is weak. Hence that's why I concluded that its vexatious as it seemed to be done just to mess up Makro's election chances. However, it looks as if the complainant can actually muster the evidence and has the necessary legal standing (a technical point at 6.3 which I didn't understand) then it looks as if they will consider it again at some point in the future though I can't see where this is explicitly stated. But if it is considered again it would certainly be after the election as "FIDE would suffer if its Deputy President would be suspended at this time" (Section 6.5). Reputational damage I assume.

NickFaulks

Post by NickFaulks » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:41 pm

Michael Farthing wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:00 pm
Am I missing something?
No, you're not.
If you want a picture of the future, imagine a QR code stamped on a human face — forever.

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:39 am

Nigel Short stated:

"I don't recall submitting any complaint to the FIDE Ethics Commission and will not do so until it is fully independent."

Malcolm replied:

"Indeed, you just made the same allegations from the safety of Twitter"

Makro then weighed in with:

"The FIDE Ethics Commission (EC) rejected unanimously the absurd request of Mr. Dvorkovich for provisional measures against me. The EC stressed, among others, "the absence of a real and imminent risk of any abuse of FIDE funds and resources".

and then Nigel doubled down with:

"Regrettably typical of the dirty lies and disinformation emanating from the M&M camp. I have made no complaint, spurious or otherwise, to the FIDE Ethics Commission."

Dvorkovich doesn't seem to have given any reaction to the EC decision as yet.

Chris Rice

Post by Chris Rice » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:06 pm

Celebrity support from Boris Gelfand for Dvorkovich.

"It pleases me to see that Nigel Short and Arkady Dvorkovich are sharing a similar vision of the main problems haunting chess. Nigel is a legendary chess player, the 1993 vice world champion, but has yet to show his skills as an organizer. On the other hand, Nigel's great enthusiasm is obvious for everyone to see as he has traveled to over 100 countries with lectures, speeches and simuls. Well done - big kudos to him! Let us hope that an experienced organizer Arkady Dvorkovich and a great chess player Nigel Short will win the elections and succeed in changing the world of chess for the better."

David Robertson

Post by David Robertson » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:10 pm

Boris Gelfand wrote:It is unclear how a famous English organizer Malcolm Pein has come to align himself with them -- it's a mystery for me. It seems to me that taking an opinion poll among chess players would now give an approximately 95:5 result in Dvorkovich's favor in terms of percentage correlation. Nevertheless, elections are known to be decided by delegates casting their votes, and I do not know whether the opinion of professional chess players does or does not matter to them
Well, Boris, we have some evidence. The opinion of chess players, professional or otherwise, counts for sweet FA. Our own ECF Board aggressively ignored the opinions of those members participating in online polls in this place, both of which declared decisively for Short. That data may be slight, but it's hugely more indicative than anything else to hand. And FIDE delegates routinely disregard the opinions of chess players, whether expressed by the PCA, by national federation members, by online 'straw polls' and so forth. These elections aren't about benefits to chess, or to players. They'll be decided by benefits though - to delegates

Michael Farthing

Post by Michael Farthing » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:24 pm

Well, as of this moment, 51% of the - alleged- members taking part in a straw poll in this place have declared against Short and 49% in favour. I agree the data is 'slight'.